The TRUTH about sharks in aquariums

CA2OR

That shark made me want a salt water tank. Yes I do plan,(PLAN)to have 1, when my husband and I are retired and I have the resources to set up a tank for the long term care of the animal. Probably just a dream, but we'll see in 10 years. I'm big on animal rights though, and don't think the average hobbyist is prepared for that type of responsibility. The shark thing kinda reminds me of people who try to own tigers and find out down the road that it's not a house cat. Sadly the animal is now homeless with out the instinct they need to survive.

• Like 1

That is the problem right there.

P.s.....I have read numerous horror stories in Vegas of people who bought tigers. They sell em out there for like $50000 for a kitten....but they get big...obviously...and pose serious danger when they do. Which is why they require that "mauling" insurance which is something like 200k a year or something.

There is a guy at a pet and farm store in Southern WA who likes to disabuse people of the notion that any fish will stay small if you keep them in a small tank to stunt their growth. He gets in their face and asks "if you put a rottweiler puppy in a kitty carrier in your closet will it stay small to fit the space?" I admire his willingness to enrage his customers on the animals' behalf. Most shop owners don't have the guts. Especially in a small town.

Kate

Well as sad as it is we live in a world where we've lost the ability to see beyond ourselves 90% of the time. If it's not human we don't care. Hopefully we'll be able to loose that mentality, but that's not likely, so lets be that 10% that is responsible and does care. And you are 100% about the shop owner it would be nice if there were more responsible business owners, who cared a little further than the all mighty dollar. We can teach our children the right way, so lets start there. That's what I have control over, so that's what I focus on.

EXAMPLE

Someone asked me the other day how my 50lb child walks my 80lb dog. I said well I trained the kid the same time I trained the dog, so both child and animal know whats expected of them. Dog could pull the kid anywhere, but she knows the right way to correct him, and he knows that correction stands even if I'm not the one holding the leash.

It is all about education

There is a guy at a pet and farm store in Southern WA who likes to disabuse people of the notion that any fish will stay small if you keep them in a small tank to stunt their growth. He gets in their face and asks "if you put a rottweiler puppy in a kitty carrier in your closet will it stay small to fit the space?" I admire his willingness to enrage his customers on the animals' behalf. Most shop owners don't have the guts. Especially in a small town.

Kate

I know that SOME fish do stay small. For example my wife had a feeder fish in a 1 gallon bowl for at least four years when we got married and it was only one inch. I put it in a 30 Gallon (wife) Now the goldfish is like four inches thick!!! It has "outgrown" the tank; and at an inch it had "outgrown" the fish bowl. However it obviously did stunt the fish's growth.

DISCLAIMER I am not saying that a shark would stay small (nono)

EXAMPLE

Someone asked me the other day how my 50lb child walks my 80lb dog. I said well I trained the kid the same time I trained the dog, so both child and animal know whats expected of them. Dog could pull the kid anywhere, but she knows the right way to correct him, and he knows that correction stands even if I'm not the one holding the leash.

It is all about education

That's the same way my wife trained me!