The TRUTH about sharks in aquariums

CA2OR

I am taking this from a post a friend of mine posted on RF and thought with all the recent discussion I would post it here for you guys. I am actually going to add to this shortly with another video....which unfortunately IS of my tank. But shows very well why sharks make tanks look really small.....REALLY fast.

"The truth is a 180, 210, or even 240 are not acceptable sized tanks for housing these sharks.

Usually the situation involves someone with prior reef experience who thinks because they are going from a 50g to a 180g tank, that its "huge" and a perfect home for a small shark. I felt this way when I went from a 20L to a 120g.

Lets be honest......

A banded catshark can reach sexual maturity in 18 months!

People try to slow the growth of these sharks by feeding less. (this is something that USUALLY does not happen)

Everytime you have a vistor, you'll wanna show off the shark and feed him right? I've been there. Its not exciting to feed these sharks only once to twice a week. They tend to be very inactive so keepers are always trying to temp the shark with ANOTHER meal. Get him off the sand bed and moving, ya know? (don't forget that if you reduce the frequency of feedings, you have to add vitamins to the food!)

Next! People often say "well I'll put the shark in my small tank I have now, but will upgrade to a larger system when he gets bigger"

A four foot adult banded catshark needs at LEAST a four foot wide tank to turn around. Honestly it needs 5 feet!

With that being said, my shark tank complete system which I had custom built and designed for sharks was $18,000. The demensions were 11ft long and 5ft wide.

So, with that being said, if you want a banded catshark you should either wait until you have a sutable enviroment to house the shark, or have 10 to 20 thousand dollars set aside to house the shark as an adult. (in as little as 18 months)

So here it is! This video is of an ADULT banded catshark. THIS IS NOT A NURSE!

This is an 18 month old banded catshark in a 210g at a store close to my home. Minimal rock with a footprint of 6'x2'x30".

YOUTUBE LINK ---->

<-- CLICK HERE

Truely sad if you ask me......."

This wasn't directed to you. Dee77 is also considering a shark tank amongst others....plus I want to inform any other curious hobbiests who are considering such a decision. I too like the coral cats....which is why I ordered and paid for one. In addition to the marble cat. But I fully understand what I am getting into and....now know somebody with a large enough environment for them to survive comfortably should something arrise.

Erc have you been to Hollywood Aquarium?

Hollywood has a pretty cool Australian epaulette shark in their show tank. A couple years ago they also had a black tip in what looked to be a 300 gallon tank. The poor thing only lasted a couple months.

This wasn't directed to you. Dee77 is also considering a shark tank amongst others....plus I want to inform any other curious hobbiests who are considering such a decision. I too like the coral cats....which is why I ordered and paid for one. In addition to the marble cat. But I fully understand what I am getting into and....now know somebody with a large enough environment for them to survive comfortably should something arrise.

OK good. I was worried I caused a argument, I am glad I didn't. :D

Erc have you been to Hollywood Aquarium?

No I have not. I have been absolutely shocked out how little information there is out there regarding sharks in aquariums. What is even more scary is how many people or stores will give you advice even though they have no actual clue.....it scares me to think of how many would or have gotten sharks on horrible misinformation.

No I have not. I have been absolutely shocked out how little information there is out there regarding sharks in aquariums. What is even more scary is how many people or stores will give you advice even though they have no actual clue.....it scares me to think of how many would or have gotten sharks on horrible misinformation.

His shark is super happy! He is in a 400 gallon cube. He even has a girl friend growing out in another tank. It is sad though that some sharks end up in 55 gallon tanks. Some people even buy nurse sharks crazy(nutty)

His shark is super happy! He is in a 400 gallon cube. He even has a girl friend growing out in another tank. It is sad though that some sharks end up in 55 gallon tanks. Some people even buy nurse sharks crazy(nutty)

If you are talking about Caye's it's a Nurse shark and if it's in a 400 cube then it's a 100 times better than the 180 maybe a 200 he was in last time I was in there. It's a 3+ foot and could barely turn around and had no place to swim.

If you are talking about Caye's it's a Nurse shark and if it's in a 400 cube then it's a 100 times better than the 180 maybe a 200 he was in last time I was in there. It's a 3+ foot and could barely turn around and had no place to swim.

No I have never been to Caye's. I was talking about Dr. Benit at Hollywood Aquarium he has a Eupulet and it is something you have to see if you haven't already.

Lived next to that place, right next to i9t. My little girl and I use to go see that shark. I didn't have a tank than and was quite uninformed. Now I can see the reality of the situation. At the time it looked like the shark was okay in the tank. I haven't been there in years though. Is it still in the 100gal he had it in?

Caye's was given that shark. They tried to give it to the OCA and the Hatfield Center' date=' but they didn't want it. It is sad to see that fish in an aquarium that small. It will out grow that tank and then what? I guess they could make shark fin soup.....[/quote']

Set it free in the ocean while everyone sings "Born Free"(whistle)

On a serious note it is sad and again people should really not buy sharks on an impulse and really think it through.

It would just die....that is the messed up thing about this hobby....very little that we raise or grow in our tank would actually survive in the wild should we "free" it.

Ummm duh? That was a joke and sarcasm hence the second statement after the one you quoted and left out. Man I wish I didn't have to put in a disclaimer every time I made a joke. It takes the impact out of it!(laugh)(laugh)

Here's the entire statement.

Set it free in the ocean while everyone sings "Born Free"

On a serious note it is sad and again people should really not buy sharks on an impulse and really think it through