New modem

impur

Franklin I've found that calling in is better than the chat sessions for some reason. Also you should get a discount if you are willing to stick with them for a certain period of time.

Just got off the phone with Qwest and am getting a 12 or 20 installed. I am wondering IF I should get a Surfboard before they install my higher speed line? My m100 modem can handle 20Mbps supposedly.

The longer you have been with them the more deals they make. IF you ask OVER THE PHONE.

"Oh jeeze, if you could just sweeten the deal I'd be tempted"

Thanks!

Old-HEHE

Surfboard model SB1520

I tried to find out how old it was online, I swear I have had it for at least 3 years, which means more like 4+

Probablly would not hurt-The numbers I see others posting make mine look like dial up 14.4, maybe 28.8-(laugh)

Remember those days DOH!

post-posting update;

Looks like it is 5 years old

I remember when 28.8 was fast and to use the web you did Unix commands.

I also remember all the freeware at Apple BB's.

I also remember the invention of "Original Sin. :D

As the title says dumb question;

Will a different modem get you better down/up speeds?

I need to contact Comast I suppose to see what speeds I am "paying for" I suppose.

There to many times when my son is on Xbox Live and I'm surfing or uploading to Photobucket that we both just "lag"

I always saw that safenet picture but never knew about it until I googled it

I got these results;

1063910475.png

I can fix your lag issues. I have my router set to limit bandwidth so when I am downloading movies I feel no affects on browsing or gaming.

Yes a different modem can affect your speeds....you are still restriced to whatever bandwidth your ISP is providing you.

Let me know if you need any assistance with the whole lag thing. I can probably fix that remotely.(scratch)

Eric - do you pay extra for the faster upload?

No I complain to much for that. Frontier most likely hates me.....much like Verizon Wireless and Kuni BMW(naughty)

Just got off the phone with Qwest and am getting a 12 or 20 installed. I am wondering IF I should get a Surfboard before they install my higher speed line? My m100 modem can handle 20Mbps supposedly.

DSL and cable connections use different equipment so you cannot use the Surfboard line.

Are you sure it's an M1000? I don't recall Actiontec making that particular model fir Qwest. Maybe an M1000? Does it look like this:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=184

The M1000 does 20Mbps down and 1Mbps up and since Qwest deploys these units it should handle the service you are getting just fine.

I will post up a "at home" and "on net" when I get home in the AM.

You'd be pretty lucky to be "on net" at home as that would mean a direct fiber connection to Integra. Pretty sure you said you were working downtown so it's probably a building that sits right on the Integra fiber ring so they can pull a feed into your offices and then you sit directly "on their network" (on net). No hopping through other intermediate routers to get to the Internet which is why you see crazy low ping times (that and the test server you were hitting is probably also an Integra customer). At my office Integra offered us 100Mbps without blinking when we had them bring fiber into our facility - said they might have to 'tune it' a little bit if we wanted more bandwidth.

Yes I know we are running on multiple T1's here....hence the MPLS.....

Probably not T1s as you would need approx 35 of them bonded together to get 50Mbps. You probably have multiple carriers in case a single one fails but again each carrier is probably fiber if your are downtown. If you not near a fiber ring then it would probably be a T3 bug that tops out at 45Mbps.

MPLS = multi protocol label switching which means you can run different services over the same connection (commonly voice and data) and the routers will manage the traffic and give high priority to voice (VOIP or digital trunks like PRI) over general web traffic or you could also tag the traffic for a particular server(s) or applications to go before your C.O.D. traffic. It's like QOS in your home router only on steroids and at all endpoint routers in your company's network.

no wonder I get pooned alot lol

1065304344.png

Not even going to ask what pooning is?(whistle)

Upgrading to 7mbps is pretty cheap with qwest and most of the older modems will work at that speed.

I feel like I am flying now at 1.3, but I feel the need for speed. Ordered a 20mbps fiber optic connection a newer modem and a Roku dual N movie box. Might even get a Magic Jack.

Not even going to ask what pooning is?(whistle)

Upgrading to 7mbps is pretty cheap with qwest and most of the older modems will work at that speed.

I feel like I am flying now at 1.3, but I feel the need for speed. Ordered a 20mbps fiber optic connection a newer modem and a Roku dual N movie box. Might even get a Magic Jack.

its what I would do to you even with my slow speed if you played Black Op's lol:D

Mine here at work. Integra Telecom should be faster for a business only service. Anybody got Clear? We have that at home...I don't want to even see what speed, or lack of, that is...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1065874061.png

You'll notice the Integra business connection is symmetrical both up and down. Also Integra is a tariffed service which means you have a legal and regulatory stick to beat them with (not to mention an Service Level Agreement - SLA) so when it doesn't work you call and they have to fix within certain parameters. Also wij your business connections you can get blocks of IP addresses and there is usually no filtering of any traffic so you can run web and mail servers without the traffic getting blocked. Comcast, Qwest DSL, Verizon/Frontier FIOS can go down and you're pretty much SOL until they get it fixed and most of the residential carriers will filter all ports below 1024 so no mail or web servers in your basement.

Bottom line with broadband you pretty much get what you pay for.

• 3 weeks later...
As the title says dumb question;

Will a different modem get you better down/up speeds?

I need to contact Comast I suppose to see what speeds I am "paying for" I suppose.

There to many times when my son is on Xbox Live and I'm surfing or uploading to Photobucket that we both just "lag"

I always saw that safenet picture but never knew about it until I googled it

I got these results;

1063910475.png

OK well LMAO-I finally decided to call comcast and ask about why my speeds were so low my package should be getting me speeds of 12mpbs download and up to 15 mbps with their "powerboost"

Without even asking the lady puts me on a promo package for 3 months free they call their 16 Blastspeed-

I tell her whats it matter my speeds currently are less than 4 mbps-

I'll keep the story short but after a few suggestions from tech support I hang up and re-test my service after doing NOTHING more tha calling them-here is what I got;

1090011953.png

I know I should be happy but I am F'n ticked-they SUCK and the reason being I am sure I was capable of these speeds, they just had me getting crapola because I was ignorant and did not know better to test and question WTH is going on.

My son is happier than ever, he has a consistant 4 bar connection on COD Black Opps and is "waxing" everyone-

Its a happy/sad moment.

Comcast-YOU SUCK-anybody who has them for high speed internet see what you are paying for (mbps) and then go to here;

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

or here;

http://www.speedtest.net/

and see if you are getting what you are paying for-if not make a call and "see what happens"