New modem

impur

Well comcast decided my modem was obsolete, so they just went ahead and made it not work without telling me! (flame)

I called and got credit for the time i couldn't use it, and I bought a Motorola SB6120 surfboard modem. This thing is FAST!!! 4 channles, docsis 3.0, so i don't gotta worry for several years, they just upgraded to docsis 2.0, and you are able to bond 2 of the channels to get faster speeds. It does this automatically i found, as right after i installed it it acquired the 2nd channel. My acct is setup for 12mb download/2mb upload. Here is a test run

1063201969.png

So instead of upgrading me at a lower price they just let my higher price continue.

Chat InformationThank you for contacting Qwest. My name is Nicole R. . How may I help you today?

Franklin: What is my Silver Mbps?

Nicole R. : The Silver Mbps is the 1.5M

Franklin: So at the price I am paying why haven't I been upgraded?

Nicole R. : You don't automatically get upgraded, you would have to request it, and the price and plan would change.

Franklin: So I am paying more for less and this is my reward for loyalty?

Nicole R. : You could upgrade, it just doesn't automatically upgrade.

Nicole R. : I have not heard from you for a couple of minutes. Do you still need me to keep this chat conversation open for you?

Franklin: So my current level is .22 Mbps. The thing that bothers me is that you feel no guilt for not upgrading me to a faster speed. I do not like Comcast. I am getting to like them more.

Franklin: Does anything not seem right to you?

Nicole R. : I apologize for the confusion Franklin, but you don't automatically get upgraded, you have to request an upgrade.

Franklin: DejaVu, You must be clairvoyant. I heard that somewhere before!

Franklin, I don't know what I have (I will try to find out) A few months ago I called complaining because I was paying too much. I got upgraded and they gave me some discount I think (I also have directtv with them) But I just received a new offer that I still have to read.

Well comcast decided my modem was obsolete, so they just went ahead and made it not work without telling me! (flame)

I called and got credit for the time i couldn't use it, and I bought a Motorola SB6120 surfboard modem. This thing is FAST!!! 4 channles, docsis 3.0, so i don't gotta worry for several years, they just upgraded to docsis 2.0, and you are able to bond 2 of the channels to get faster speeds. It does this automatically i found, as right after i installed it it acquired the 2nd channel. My acct is setup for 12mb download/2mb upload. Here is a test run

1063201969.png

Hey Miles will this work for telephone and cable also? i have everything through comcast. Im tired of paying $5 a month for a modem :)

Moving back up slowly. Called tech and they roto-rooted my connection a bit. For the same price I should be at the 7 or 12 mbps level.

1063353990.png

Next, I got modem/connection envy. Gonna move it up to a higher speed tomorrow when I can haggle for a better deal.

Franklin I've found that calling in is better than the chat sessions for some reason. Also you should get a discount if you are willing to stick with them for a certain period of time.

NEVER rent the modem (cable or DSL) - you will either save money owning in the long run or you can throw it on EBay.

It makes you 'at work' and 'on net'.

good eye....we are on MPLS here....but at home I do have 50 down and 25 up....still gamer central there....but I do love playing COD Black Ops here at night....it's amazing when your ping is in single digits and others are pushing 2 or even 3 digits....(plotting)

Dumb question

As the title says dumb question;

Will a different modem get you better down/up speeds?

I need to contact Comast I suppose to see what speeds I am "paying for" I suppose.

There to many times when my son is on Xbox Live and I'm surfing or uploading to Photobucket that we both just "lag"

I always saw that safenet picture but never knew about it until I googled it

I got these results;

1063910475.png

Hey Miles will this work for telephone and cable also? i have everything through comcast. Im tired of paying $5 a month for a modem :)

Nah, its just for your internet connection. You could also get a tuner card and get HD over the air though ;) I do that on my computer.

Eric - do you pay extra for the faster upload?

Regarding comcast, if you call and ask for a discount they will give it to you for 6m. Then you have to pay the regular price for 6m. I usually call in again after 3 or 4 months and 4 out of 5 times they still put me back on the discount program. Works out pretty good, i'm not gonna drop comcast cuz i love getting the Ducks and Blazer games.

As the title says dumb question;

Will a different modem get you better down/up speeds?

I need to contact Comast I suppose to see what speeds I am "paying for" I suppose.

There to many times when my son is on Xbox Live and I'm surfing or uploading to Photobucket that we both just "lag"

I always saw that safenet picture but never knew about it until I googled it

I got these results;

1063910475.png

Depends. If yours is old, and you get one of the newer modems it should help. The surfboard modem i got has great reviews and just about everyone who reviewed it has stated improved speeds. For one, the bonded channels really help. The upgraded technology is also a bonus.

Depends. If yours is old' date=' and you get one of the newer modems it should help. The surfboard modem i got has great reviews and just about everyone who reviewed it has stated improved speeds. For one, the bonded channels really help. The upgraded technology is also a bonus.[/quote']

Old-HEHE

Surfboard model SB1520

I tried to find out how old it was online, I swear I have had it for at least 3 years, which means more like 4+

Probablly would not hurt-The numbers I see others posting make mine look like dial up 14.4, maybe 28.8-(laugh)

Remember those days DOH!

post-posting update;

Looks like it is 5 years old