Pedestrians versus Drivers

Emerald525

The lawmakers are at least partially responsible here. It is absolutely ludicrous to believe that someone driving a car will have as much visibility as a pedestrian or a bicyclist yet Oregon has created laws (irresponsibly I might add) that lead them to believe they have the right to simply step off the curb and cars will have to stop. I think these laws have been repealed now however there are still many people that are unaware both of the original law or that it is no longer in effect (everyone is confused here for good reason). When pedestrians and bicyclists have the belief that they can do so it not only creates a hostile environment but it also gets people killed. It's also ludicrous to believe that a pedestrian or a bicyclist will stand any chance against any car when the driver doesn't see them. The lawmakers should spend more time both educating pedestrians and bicyclists and in regulating them. Unless someone is blind there is no excuse for crossing in the middle of the street when there is a crosswalk and signal 30 feet away or for not waiting until the signal says walk. If people routinely got ticketed for doing so there would be less hostility and less deaths.

While I don't necessarily think bicyclists should be required to pay insurance they should be required to have a license to ride on the street. They should be taking a test and getting a license so that they both know the rules of the road and so they can be held accountable to obey them. I can't even count how many times I've seen a bicycle zip through a red light and once it caused an accident when a car swerved to avoid it and the bicyclist was knowhere to be found.

BTW, did anyone see the proposal to make it legal for motorcycles to drive between cars when traffic is stopped? Yet another example of a law that would both create a hostile environment and that would get people killed.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that bicyclists and pedestrians should be cautious and follow the law when crossing streets...

If you want to tax bicyclists (pedestrians too, for that matter?) and specifically earmark that money for more bike lanes and sidewalks, I'm all for it. You just won't have any money left to enforce your licensing requirements. There's only so much $, and if you tax people too much, they just won't want to go out and ride their bike or go for a walk. Should they go out and make poor choices about j-walking, running red lights, weaving between cars, etc? Of course not, but you might also note that if a collision occurred under those circumstances, the bicyclist/pedestrian WOULD be at fault.

"BTW, did anyone see the proposal to make it legal for motorcycles to drive between cars when traffic is stopped? Yet another example of a law that would both create a hostile environment and that would get people killed. "

As a lifelong motorcyclist, driver of cars, trucks, walker and bicyclist ( just to set it straight) I do not agree with this law. California allows motorcyclists to "lane split" even though it is against the law there. They have continued to let it go and let it be at the officers discression to enforce. For those of you who have never been in the sunshine state during gridlock, its a pain worse on an air cooled Harley that is about to throw the crankshaft into the pavement due to excessive overheating in stop and go traffic. This debate should fall under " how many stupid things can Californians bring to Oregon during thier stay here until education and housing get back on track where they are from" catagory. P.S. my wife is a die hard californian and is slowly comming back to reality while she has been here.

Kim...start a poll!

I also think it's profoundly ignorant to believe that the proportion of people who bike or walk is completely unrelated to the obesity epidemic. Do you understand that sedentary lifestyle is associated with obesity? Do we need to go back to the basics here?

Okay everyone breathe...

Okay everyone breathe.... ahhhhh and count...This seems to be quite the hot button issue. Honestly for me, I'm just tired of getting flipped off , cussed at , and having my car pounded on. I also find it interesting how people act differently when they are behind the wheel of a car or on a bike ( I include myself). I have to admit Sharoleb I have cursed quietly in the car for that lollygagger in the crosswalk but I did not flip them off or yell out the car window...:D And I am quite calm when I do speak to people who do moronic things like beat on my car or flip me off. I'm not easily intimidated but I do figure being a mere 5' 3 " makes me appear to be an easy target and a "safe" person to flip off or curse at(little do they know ;)) and now that you mention it Roger it does happen less when I'm walking my German Shepherd

There are a lot of valid points and as Brad knows I do love to see other people's point of view. I'm proud of you for not Reefnjunkieing the thread(clap)

We could argue until we are blue in the face whether a specific bike tax would help or cause more harm but I feel we are getting too much into politics which gets heated and is no longer fun. Time to Clay it up! Sunshines and puppies! and now back to work!

I clicked that link and this caught my eye, well a few things;

Elly Blue is a bicycle activist living in Portland, Oregon

but more important and a plug for Italy;

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-11-23-bras-give-energy-efficiency-a-sexy-boost-in-italy

Bras give energy efficiency a sexy boost in Italy

the bust way to save energy

Thanks for the link-(whistle)

:p

I clicked that link and this caught my eye, well a few things;

Elly Blue is a bicycle activist living in Portland, Oregon

but more important and a plug for Italy;

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-11-23-bras-give-energy-efficiency-a-sexy-boost-in-italy

Bras give energy efficiency a sexy boost in Italy

the bust way to save energy

Thanks for the link-(whistle)

:p

Be careful with those italians Brad. If you go to ebay.it you will see a lot of used bras for sale. Like some time ago with used panties...

Claying the thread

"OK, I got about 2/3rds down on page 1 and decided I'll leave my big fat typing fingers out of this one-

Thanks for the increase in blood pressure "

Will you at least change your icon back to the old handgun one for this thread, just to keep me entertained?

OK, I am challanged, I've spent the last 10 minutes searching for that photo, and all the others I find are to large-

Here is another favorite toy of mine-its better IMO-The Sig 556 with ACOG;

556005.jpg

I am sad to report I sold my sniper rifle to help fund my inwall tank-2200.00-(sad)

I guess there is no off topic in an out of bounds thread-(laugh)

Guys will you please give it a rest. What is the point of showing a picture of a gun? I know it's meant to be a joke but it's not funny. The original point of my thread was how people's personality can change when they are in a car or bike or pedestrian. It depends on your point of view and there is so much hostility about this issue and anger.

It's proving my point exactly. What's with all the hostility? Why is everyone getting so heated? Can we discuss this calmly like adults?

I was venting about this very thing. Why pound on my car? Why assume I intentionally blocked the crosswalk?

I am all for bikes and walking and childhood and adult obesity are serious issues that costs more money than any bike lane.

Seriously people if we cannot discuss this calmly and rationally, I will have to close this thread down. I'm starting to get pissed off. Brad and I are very different in our views but we discuss them calmly through pms. I am all for hearing all sides to a discussion but intelligently. This thread was not meant to stir up hatred towards all bicyclists or pedestrians or drivers. Truly my frustration was just about this.. all the pent up misdirected hostility.

Again I apologize for stirring this up and do hold myself accountable for that.

Kim, sorry for the request. I suppose it stems from several things in life. If I was in my livingroom and had to choose between keeping my beautifull tanks or a personal protection/put food on the table tool, well.....we all have priorities in life. (typing with soft un-offensive clay-like fingers) LOL

Kim' date=' sorry for the request. I suppose it stems from several things in life. If I was in my livingroom and had to choose between keeping my beautifull tanks or a personal protection/put food on the table tool, well.....we all have priorities in life. (typing with soft un-offensive clay-like fingers) LOL[/quote']

Thanks Jon, I appreciate your apology. Puppies and double rainbows...

Breathe, my point was "no point" Jon asked me to change my avatar I could not so I posted a pic of one of my prize possessions-

I figured it did not and does not matter as it is an out of bounds thread, Alex talks of bras and pantiesgr1.gif and the what not, I talk of well bras panties and guns-its as American as Hot dogs and apple pie-and Chevy isn’t it????

Oh and the Cowboys-(pander)

I see this thread as nothing more than people posting opinions-sorry if my pic offends peoplesmilieseesaw.gif but really, threads like this are going to nothing more than insight peoples passionate "opinions" and that is expected.

Breathe, take a valium (or four) if needed-and that is not directed at anyone in particular, if the shoe fits wear it-(threaten)

Breathe again..out with the bad-in with the good.bandit.gif

You got to admit (IMO) that is one sweet looking gun-(drooler)

I like reefing(clap), I like gunsanim-xshoot.gif I also enjoy watching things blow up(scary)-I guess that is what happens when you grow up in rural areas-and have testosterone flowing through your veins. (I also own a bike(whistle))

I guess its similar to some women getting all "girly" when they see a certain purse.:D

Hows that for a case of "Reefnjunkieness"SHOCKED.gif

Disclaimer;

No bicyclists nor pedestrians where hurt in the typing of this post-(clap)

Now back to our regularly scheduled heated off topic, non fish related thread.

lighten up(and that is a general statement, not directed at anyone)(laugh)-

pconfetti.gifpconfetti.gifpconfetti.gif

When it comes down to it' date=' we should be promoting more walking and bicycling. Portland is one of the most walkable cities. We're lucky to live here. It's unfortunate that some people have attitude... but I don't think the rate of "unfriendly" pedestrians is any higher here; there are just more pedestrians to encounter.[/quote']

Dude, it's 33 degrees and raining 6 months a year. Portland is one of the worst cities for walking or biking in the country.

Portland is just full of hippies that think they have a right to tell everyone else how to live their life.

Oh, that's right - I said it. (threaten)