Pedestrians versus Drivers

Emerald525

Warning! Yet another off topic subject that has nothing to do with reefing!DOH!

So I'm posting this because I really don't feel like working on my work presentation.

One of the first things I noticed when I first moved to Portland is that pedestrians have this I own the road, I own the sidewalk, I even own your front lawn and will use it as a picnic area ( true story )mentality(nutty). Now now before all your pedestrians start sending me hate mail(nono) I too walk a fair amount so I can see both sides. I do get pissy when I'm at a crosswalk and the car speeds past but I do not expect a car to come to a screeching halt every time I get the sudden urge to see the other side. I also don't step out in front of a car and expect that it's going to stop. In Chicago where I have walked the streets too, that would be called roadkill.

I am not a bad driver. Let me repeat that I am not a bad driver...(laugh) but have been flipped off , yelled at , had someone pound on my car because I happened to block the path of a pedestrian. [language filter] people?DOH! Are you kidding me? (laugh)

Yesterday I was heading to work and was pulling out to make a right turn but had to stop because several parked cars were blocking my view and I did not see some oncoming cars so I ended up blocking the crosswalk. This guy waves his finger like this dude(nono) (true story). I ignore him because I'm trying to see the oncoming cars. So then he proceeds to pound on the back of my car because he had to go around my car?(nutty)

Really? C'mon really? Really?Did you think I was set here on Earth to purposely and willinngingly and maliciously to block your path?(laugh) Is it really that big a deal to go around? How exactly am I supossed to see the oncoming cars if the path is blocked?

Well let's just say I was very willingly provided him some "feedback" as to how intelligent his behavior was. Why the aggression people? Is it that my white Subaru just comes across as being an easy nonthreatening target to let your pent up aggressions out?(laugh)

What's up pedestrians? I am one too and don't like cars going 50 in a residential neighborhood when my children are outside but getting so heated that you have to hit my car because I blocked your path? (nutty)DOH!(laugh)

What's up with this Portland?(scratch):eek:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Warning! Yet another off topic subject that has nothing to do with reefing!DOH!

So I'm posting this because I really don't feel like working on my work presentation.

I like your approach lol

The first few weeks of driving here in the US were sad for me. All that empty and free parking spots that I was not allowed to use: sidewalks

You have been to Italy so you know what I'm talking about (whistle)

+1. They must have moved up there from Eugene, but they left their mentally challenged siblings( bicyclists ) down here. You know the ones that don't pay road tax, but want all of the pot holes fixed, pull out in front of you like "they own the road" and have a total disregard for traffic signals. I wonder if they would change thier ways if they really understood the term " dead men/women don't talk"?

I would have to say that Kim's neighborhood is one of the worst for bicycles owning the road. Everytime I'm over in that area I have to slow down for them being in the middle of the street!!!

That's great that there are no bike lanes and tons of cars parked on the side of the road but if you can't do the speed limit, get out of my way!!!!

Ok I'm better now.

Thanks for bringing this one up.

+1. They must have moved up there from Eugene' date=' but they left their mentally challenged siblings( bicyclists ) down here. You know the ones that don't pay road tax, but want all of the pot holes fixed, pull out in front of you like "they own the road" and have a total disregard for traffic signals. I wonder if they would change thier ways if they really understood the term " dead men/women don't talk"?[/quote']

Oh, NO.... they brought some of their "mentally challenged siblings (bicyclists) up here with them too!(flame)

I want to know, do they really think pulling out in front of a huge suburban is a good idea? Do they think I can really stop on a dime, even going the posted speed limit of 30mph? Ummmm NO! I can't.(scary) I have had several near misses, one of these days one of those mentally challenged siblings is going to become a hood ornament on my suburban:eek:, and i will have to say "I told ya so!"

OK back to our topic... pedestrians.....:D

I like your approach lol

The first few weeks of driving here in the US were sad for me. All that empty and free parking spots that I was not allowed to use: sidewalks

You have been to Italy so you know what I'm talking about (whistle)

I know exactly what you speak of Alex! Europe is so different. I hear that Vespa means "wasp" (maybe red hornet ;)) but I think it actually really means... Get outta my way sucker, my Vespa versus your feet will win every time!(rock2)

P.s. Kim' date=' thanks for getting my blood boiling....I was having a "day" at work too.[/quote']

(laugh) That's how I roll Jon! A little venting is good!(clap)

I would have to say that Kim's neighborhood is one of the worst for bicycles owning the road. Everytime I'm over in that area I have to slow down for them being in the middle of the street!!!

That's great that there are no bike lanes and tons of cars parked on the side of the road but if you can't do the speed limit, get out of my way!!!!

Ok I'm better now.

Thanks for bringing this one up.

Oh, NO.... they brought some of their "mentally challenged siblings (bicyclists) up here with them too!(flame)

I want to know, do they really think pulling out in front of a huge suburban is a good idea? Do they think I can really stop on a dime, even going the posted speed limit of 30mph? Ummmm NO! I can't.(scary) I have had several near misses, one of these days one of those mentally challenged siblings is going to become a hood ornament on my suburban:eek:, and i will have to say "I told ya so!"

OK back to our topic... pedestrians.....:D

Was not even gonna go there with the bicycles but agreed!(clap) Did I mention I was screamed at by a bicyclist too...(laugh)

Some pedestrians and bicyclists make poor decisions. Some drivers do, too. When it comes down to it, we should be promoting more walking and bicycling. Portland is one of the most walkable cities. We're lucky to live here. It's unfortunate that some people have attitude... but I don't think the rate of "unfriendly" pedestrians is any higher here; there are just more pedestrians to encounter.

Bicyclists paying road tax is BS. How much wear do they put on the road? How are you gonna enforce whether or not someone has paid their bicycle tax?

But really if we created more livable communities that were more conducive to safe pedestrian and bicyclist activity, we would be better off.

I don't usually read Kim's off-topic posts because I never have the time and the large letters hurt my young eyes, but from a public health standpoint, I gotta represent........... peace out!

Some pedestrians and bicyclists make poor decisions. Some drivers do, too. When it comes down to it, we should be promoting more walking and bicycling. Portland is one of the most walkable cities. We're lucky to live here. It's unfortunate that some people have attitude... but I don't think the rate of "unfriendly" pedestrians is any higher here; there are just more pedestrians to encounter.

Bicyclists paying road tax is BS. How much wear do they put on the road? How are you gonna enforce whether or not someone has paid their bicycle tax?

But really if we created more livable communities that were more conducive to safe pedestrian and bicyclist activity, we would be better off.

I don't usually read Kim's off-topic posts because I never have the time and the large letters hurt my young eyes, but from a public health standpoint, I gotta represent........... peace out!

I would agree there are plenty of bad drivers which I stated in my first post. They speed through the crosswalks and I do like that Portland is bike friendly and pedestrian friendly but I do think there are a fair amount who have gotten so used to cars dropping on a dime to stop for them they make bad choices and almost get run over and have this sense of entitlement. I mean is it really necessary to yell at me and pound on my car when I made a mistake or I had no choice but to block the crosswalk.

I think Portland has gone above and beyond to be bike friendly more than any other place and I spend a lot of time on my bike as well but I also know from a driver view that I'm not always as visible so I do my best to stay out of the driver's way.

My point is I have been the driver, the pedestrian and the cyclist. I just have had it happen to me so many times that people are unnecessarily hostile and I simply don't get it.

I take my German Shepherd on the bike because my short legs can't keep up with his long legs and I had some lady yell out her car window about how I should be walking my dog?(nutty)

That's what I'm talking about. I don't get why people act that way?

I have to pay to register my car. Then get a license to drive that car. Then pay insurance. Bicycles should have to do the same thing, if they want to ride on public streets. That would ensure they know the laws(well should and do are totally different things). As far as pedestrians, I finally got my small peice of revenge a few months ago. I creeped my car into a cross walk to see around the parked cars(on a no walk sign to boot). A guy started to cross against the crossing signal. He proceeded to yell profanity at me. For blocking the cross walk. I began to yell back but bite my tongue. Cause I noticed a bicycle cop waiting across the street for the crossing signal to change. So I made a right hand turned parked my car. Flagged down the cop and asked if he had seen what happend. He said he did and immedietly stoped the man and gave him a j- walking ticket. Oh yeah sweet revenge.

Sounds like there needs to be more trees up there to hug. So you are saying all people who drive cars are fat or that only skinny people ride bikes?

" I'm so glad that bicyclists put so little wear on the road so that we don't have to worry about it " Wow...Either you have missed the point or are agreeing that they belong "in the road"?

just read the colored lines as I do lol

just kidding Kim :p

I am a pedestrian far more than I am a driver. I have worked downtown PDX for 11 years and have always taken Trimet in. Having said that, I agree w/ Kim that there is far too much hostility. As a pedestrian, I feel it is MY responsibility to watch out for cars, not just have them watch out for me. If I'm at a crosswalk/driveway, and there is a car, I don't cross without making eye contact w/ the driver first. I have, I will admit, cursed someout out or flipped the bird, but only in extreme circumstances and I would NEVER consider beating on someone's car to get my point across. (nutty)

On another note, it always gets me when people get impatient for me to cross - and no I'm not one of the lolly gagger crossers - You're in a CAR - I PROMISE you will get to your destination faster than me!!! (laugh)

I think you have missed the point, newfisher. What is the point of taxing bicyclists? I'm not saying ALL people who bike are "skinny" and those who don't are "obese." But policy decisions affect people, and they affect people's health by influencing their choices. Taxing people to making a healthier choice is just not a good idea in a time when the prevalence of obesity is increasing so rapidly.

I think you have missed the point' date=' newfisher. What is the point of taxing bicyclists? I'm not saying ALL people who bike are "skinny" and those who don't are "obese." But policy decisions affect people, and they affect people's health by influencing their choices. Taxing people to making a healthier choice is just not a good idea in a time when the prevalence of obesity is increasing so rapidly.[/quote']

I know plenty of people that bike but are not doing it due to a healthier choice. Just playing devils advocate here. Many can't afford to drive or pay the inflated prices of public transportation so they walk or bike to most places.

rofl I just caught this. Sorry my big letters hurt you young eyes. They help my old ones see better.

Oh, so your post really wasn't about pedestrians, bicyclists or drivers at all.... you're just pissed cause some people are jerks and/or lack good judgment.

Yeah. That much is true.

Well yeah, I suppose that's my point or that I just wanted to vent or just really didn't want to work on my presentation..(laugh)

It's the entitlement and the attitude and the hostility is not what I expected from my wonderful tree hugging community and I just run into it more on a day to day basis with bicyclists , pedestrians, and drivers for that manner. It just seems people somehow change (Beth) when they are behind the wheel of a car or on a bike or a pedestrian. It just strikes me as odd. The same person would never dream of yelling at you in the grocery store but has no problem waving his finger at you and pounding on the car. What is that about?

just read the colored lines as I do lol

just kidding Kim :p

No offense taking Grassi. I know I'm wordy and the colored lines and big letters are the Cliff note version of my posts!(laugh)

Yeah' date=' people act strangely sometimes, but at least we don't have to generalize about groups of people by race, gender, or chosen mode of transportation. ;)[/quote']

hmmmm not sure(scratch) but I think you're implying I'm a pedestrianist or a bicyclist :p(laugh) I crack myself up!

Ok, here it goes....I own (1 )roadbike (1) Motorcycle (2) mountain bikes (4) snowboards (3) 4 wheel drive vehicles (2) 2 wheel drive cars (1) drift boat (1) commercial guide raft (1) R.V. (4) saltwater tanks (2) quads (2) dirt bikes (2) snowmobiles (2) hound dogs (1) cat and am married with 1 successfull 21 year old child. I am not posting this pile of insured and licensed list of material items to prove that I consume more fuel in recreation than most or that I have a unique balence of motorized vs. human powered sports in my life or that my dogs, cat, wife and child have cost more than the rest of the items. It's mentioned because I find that I have been blessed with some knowledge in a variety of lifestyles/sports etc.......I'm just saying when I am standing in line waiting for a new tube on any of my bikes and I can't seem to get helped in a timely manner at the local bike shop because the current cash register topic is about how "the city of Eugene has their head in their a$$ and needs to fix the streets "or that the " did you see the guy in the car almost hit me when I was riding accross the street to get here" conversations from die hard BIKE ONLY people, It makes me want to ask how they contributed to help pave the roads and maintain them. Was it the tax they paid? Insurance or licensing they paid? they classes they took? ( I am a class A, triples, hazmat endorsed License holder, boat license holder, ATV license holder, private pilot, motorcyle endorsed etc.) or was it the " I'm just going to cross traffic at speed and forgoe any traffic laws,lights,pedestrians,parking bars for bikes and walk the bike into the store attitude that makes most bicyclist seem above the law and respect of others....just saying LOL! Kim's venting topic can be applied to ANY one of my personal modes of transportation, oh and I hitch hike more than anyone I know....mostly when rafting or fishing the rivers as to not take 2 vehicles or promote shuttle traffic on our already crowded roads. I'm just venting and hating on Bicyclists ( which I am ) right now and having another one taking a stand on an obesity epidemic by confusing it with those who drive vs. bike is just baffling me right now....have a nice commute!

I think you have missed the point' date=' newfisher. What is the point of taxing bicyclists? I'm not saying ALL people who bike are "skinny" and those who don't are "obese." But policy decisions affect people, and they affect people's health by influencing their choices. Taxing people to making a healthier choice is just not a good idea in a time when the prevalence of obesity is increasing so rapidly.[/quote']

I think the point of taxing bicyclists would be to pay for the extra bike lanes and signs that are put up. I bet there isn't as many lanes as you would like but they do cost money to create.

Kim, dont you have a big hairy 100 pound missle that could prevent people from touching your car? I know mine worked well when I had her. Of course then you'd get flipped off for not controlling your dog in your own car.(laugh)