I need some help with a car

grassi

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few pics of the engine that I still have to download from the camera. I will post them later. I wouldn't be surprised if grandpa did the transplant already. He was towing an airstream with that they told me.

Thanks for the infos about the engine Rick. I need to study a little bit more about Ford engines...

Since the distributor is in front we may be able to tell if it's been converted to electronic ignition. If so then the tune up parts will be a bit different.

You'll be safer in it than you would in half' date=' if not more, of the cars sold today...[/quote']

Ahhhh Mick... don't go there...(nono) It's not about the car it's about proper restraining devices... Having a nice car made out of sturdy metal isn't going to do much for a 15 month old flying through the car at 50 miles an hour to slam against the dashboard.

I refer you to the CDC:

Motor vehicle injuries are the leading cause of death among children in the U.S.1 But many of these deaths can be prevented. Placing children in age- and size-appropriate car seats and booster seats reduces serious and fatal injuries by more than half.2

Sorry Alex apologies for the thread hijack but couldn't let that one slide. Now back to topic. Sorry I made the comment that it was not a family car was just a mere joke.(backtotopic)

Perhaps I need a new definition for going off topic but Emerald's already been used...(whistle)

ok waitng on beth to add to that since both kim and beth can turn any topice into a book but got to love both of you girls go cowgirsl not cowboy leav them on the field we need all the practes beth you do know me i got the rose tip from you and the ro system and had fun trying to get it out of the rock. like i told you im a man of my word

No worries there will be a proper car seat for the baby :) In case there are no belts, I will have them installed professionally. I know you can add them later. Same for brakes, tires and shocks: the car will be inspected by a shop before Julian will be seated in :)

Rust, oil leaks, the smell of an old car and noise are safe enough!

As for engines, I'm looking on ebay and it is plenty of it. This is gonna be a lot of fun...

ok waitng on beth to add to that since both kim and beth can turn any topice into a book but got to love both of you girls go cowgirsl not cowboy leav them on the field we need all the practes beth you do know me i got the rose tip from you and the ro system and had fun trying to get it out of the rock. like i told you im a man of my word

Okay now I know who you are! The question is can you tell who is Beth and who is Kim....(laugh) If you make the right choice you are pardoned.:D If you choose wrongly(nono), you get a swift kick in the crotch for badmouthing my Cowboys!:p And there I go again getting off topic!DOH! Maybe I should say to go off topic means to Emerald

No worries there will be a proper car seat for the baby :) In case there are no belts, I will have them installed professionally. I know you can add them later. Same for brakes, tires and shocks: the car will be inspected by a shop before Julian will be seated in :)

Rust, oil leaks, the smell of an old car and noise are safe enough!

As for engines, I'm looking on ebay and it is plenty of it. This is gonna be a lot of fun...

Sounds like a fun project Alex. Can't wait to see the process...(clap)

... Having a nice car made out of sturdy metal isn't going to do much for a 15 month old flying through the car at 50 miles an hour to slam against the dashboard.

I would have to agree with one exception. Most of the cars on the road (I would guess in excess of 90%) are designed to protect the driver of the car with the passengers only being an afterthought. I.E. With very few exceptions the safest place in a vehicle is the drivers seat. Since the discussion is specific to children air bags can be taken from the discussion since they can actually be more dangerous to children. With them removed your left with how well the vehicle itself will protect the occupant. The assumption is that they are properly restrained in whatever the law requires for seats and belts. (Even if this car did not come with seat belts it definately had the mounts for them from the factory making it a simple matter to buy and install them)

If that car ran and was parked in 07' I could have it running in less that 2 hours, 2 hours and 10 minutes if converting it to electronic ignition and I would drive it back. Sure you might have an axle seal start to leak from sitting, a water pump seal leak, radiator seam etc. You will need most of the common replacement parts anyway, why not replace them there and enjoy the trip back? Bring : floor jack, stands, 4 tires, all engine gaskets including carb rebuild kit, axle seals, front wheel seals, all brake cylinders, master cylinder rebuild kit, water pump, tune up items including a coil, trans pan and rear diff gaskets, u joints, all coolant hoses a couple gallons of coolant, a case of oil ( extra in case you have a problem on the way back), transmission fluid, brake fluid and some fuel dryer. Jack up the car 1st and get the whhels/tires and new tires into Cave Jct Chevron at the south end of town ( they have a tire machine) and then pull the carb and clean it/rebuild it. Replace tune up items and while plugs are out-lube cylinders and manually turn engine over, check hoses and/or replace them. Check for external leaks at engine trans and rear differential, replace gaskets as needed. Add fuel stabilizer and fill tank with 100 low lead ( that you got from the airport on the way down, I like Creswell, has a card machine and open 24hrs.) Put that new battery in it. Start it and check/set timing. Go get the tires and a BBQ sandwich from the place across the street. Install tires, double check pressure, drop the top, put a nice warm coat on and try not to get bugs in your teeth from the smile on your face during the 5 hour drive back! Thats the long list. Like I said, if grandpa had it running in 07' mabey 2.5 hours including the tail light thats missing.

While you can buy a rear diff gasket there are very few mechanics that will use them. Even the factories stopped doing so. Use blue RTV instead. It's all I've ever used and I quit counting how many differentials I've set up a long time ago (In a 4wd shop it's one of the main things you end up doing in this area). To reseal that one it will require yanking the axles first since you need to pull the entire third member. If you do that then be prepared with not only axle seals (which are almost guaranteed to leak if the axles are pulled) but also bearings and a press since the chances are high of destroying the axle bearing when you press the bearing off the axle to replace the seals. Personally I would just take a couple of quarts of 90w with me and top it off if it's been leaking and then recheck it after it's been driven 50 miles or so and top it off agian if needed. Then yank the axles here and reseal the diff if needed and run the axles to Dutchman (a mile or two from your place Alex) and have them install new seals.

Alex, if your worried about tools then chances are I either have or have access to any tool you will ever need to work on that and no matter how much you do there you will still end up working on it here.

+1 on resealing it when you get back if it's leaking and just adding fluid on the road trip.

+1 on no matter how much you do there , you will work on it at home...older cars will consume your life, therfore we should PM each other on a sale price and I will take it off your hands. We can set up which weekends you would like to drive it.LOL!

+1 on no matter how much you do there ' date=' you will work on it at home...older cars will consume your life, therfore we should PM each other on a sale price and I will take it off your hands. We can set up which weekends you would like to drive it.LOL![/quote']

Forget that, keep the car, give me the REEF. This is a Fish Forum after all.(laugh)

As you know I used to own old british motorbikes. Driving it to the pub and leaving a puddle of oil each time. That thing was leaking more oil than the beer that I was able to drink :)

I also know what vibrations are! If you have to restore a british motorbike you don't even have to dismantle it: just leave it at idle for a couple of hours and you will find it all unbolted on the floor!

It will need some constant love, this was already in the list. Before to find this deal I was looking for a classic car anyway.

The car was promised to somebody else, so I spent the last 2 and 1/2 years holidays lurking on that car, checking the engine and dreaming of driving it just once.

Then that person decided to not wanting the car anymore and I was next on the list.

Now I'm just looking forward to drive it.

It will be a great car

I'm starting a basic shopping list of the spare parts and I will look for insurance. I've found some "classic vehicle insurance" but it seems that you can drive the car only occasionally and for pleasure. No idea how they can tell when it is pleasure or not lol

Another question. The car has old stickers on the registration plate. I think it has a 2008.

What do you do in this case? You just buy the one for the current year at DMV?

I mean, you can store a car and not having to buy the stickers of you are not using it?

Forget that' date=' keep the car, give me the REEF. This is a Fish Forum after all.(laugh)[/quote']

ahahahhha

No way, I'm keeping both

Roy I will need some help, advices and tools for sure.

I wanted to post this on some car forums, but I thought that here it would have been more fun and really seems to be so

"Another question. The car has old stickers on the registration plate. I think it has a 2008.

I mean, you can store a car and not having to buy the stickers of you are not using it? "

When you go to register it in your name, you will get stickers then. Make sure the bill of sale and title transfer dates are less than 30 days or you get fined.

....I've found some "classic vehicle insurance" but it seems that you can drive the car only occasionally and for pleasure. No idea how they can tell when it is pleasure or not lol

They go by the mileage. I.E. They only allow a certain number of miles to be put on it each year. Talk to an agent though. They should be able to insure it for the actual replacement value rather than an arbitrary book value regardless of whether it's used for daily trips or pleasure trips.

....Another question. The car has old stickers on the registration plate. I think it has a 2008.

Yes, on this old of a car it doesn't need to pass deq and therefore you just need to transfer the title and pay the registration.

I mean, you can store a car and not having to buy the stickers of you are not using it?

This depends upon state and local laws however you should not need to worry about it if you get it done right away.

Check into a classic car registration and see what Oregon has. In Washington that car could be registered once (using the current plates if they are original) provided it was only used for pleasure trips (Though the only definition provided is that it can't be used for hauling so the definition of pleasure is pretty vague) and the registration would last forever.

Looks like a clean old car!!! I love old cars. I will have to chat at you some time. I am toying with the idea of building a british "bobber/cafe" bike. Look into hagartey insurance. They have several styles depending on the plates you buy. I am personally using state farm for all my specialty plate and antique plated vehicles(cheaper and less mileage restrictions). If you dont ever want to have to get "stickers" again there are options for permanent registration. Give me a yell Alex. I have a book that states all the plates and rules. You can download it from DMV as well I believe.