2 tanks 1 sump questions

NoobtoSalt

So as most of you know I just picked up a new frag tank. My question is how do you plumb two tanks into 1 sump? I would like to have a fuge under the new tank and just need to figure out if I should have 2 return pumps or if I get some sort of a spliter for the current main pump if that would work. I'm planning on having someone come over and check it out with me but figured I could ask some other questions before they head over.

How big is your pump? If it isn't big enough then then you will need to plumb the tanks in series which I would suggest against. I had mine set up that way which worked however all of the detritus from the first tank ended up settling in the second one. If I ever do it again I'll plumb them separately and either use a larger pump with a Tee to feed both of the tanks or I will run 2 pumps.

How big is your pump? If it isn't big enough then then you will need to plumb the tanks in series which I would suggest against. I had mine set up that way which worked however all of the detritus from the first tank ended up settling in the second one. If I ever do it again I'll plumb them separately and either use a larger pump with a Tee to feed both of the tanks or I will run 2 pumps.

Not sure to be honnest. I don't think it was much more than 700 gph so I'm thinking it's not going to work for two tanks. I was just really hoping to run a fuge for the tanks and I don't have room under my current main tank.

Of course this is just my opinion but I use as few pumps as possible. Pumps will eventually fail, even the mag pumps so less is always better. More pumps means more heat which can either make your chiller work harder or make your tank harder to keep cool if you don't have a chiller, more electricity usage is also a factor plus the use of additional space in your sump. I am a simple guy and have found that hard plumbing with PVC and using one pump teed with ball valves is the way to go

Instead of buying a mag 12' date=' I was just going to buy 2 of the ecoplus pumps Nick is selling, it's cheaper LOL.[/quote']

Hey mick I had one of those eco pumps for about a week and then traded it for a mag. It seemed to run hotter than the mag, didn't seem to put out the gph it claimed and seemed to take up a lot of room

....More pumps means more heat....

This is not necessarily true. If the combined wattage of the smaller pumps is lower than the larger pump then the heat generated will likely be lower. For instance 2 mag 7's pull a combined wattage of 130 while a single mag 18 pulls 145 watts. Since heat is directly related to the wattage there is a good chance there will be less heat added using 2 pumps in this example.

Like I said' date=' just my humble opinion. I don't claim to be an electrician and know how wattage converts to btu's or anything like that. Just passing on a few mistakes I have made and some of the experiences I have had.[/quote']

I appriciate it. I'm still trying to decide what to do. I would prefer to add this to my main tank but who knows. Does anyone on here have any pics of how they have done their own 2 or more tanks 1 sump?

Personally I would run 2 return pumps. Rick makes a very valid point. For a given system 2 smaller pumps could very well consume less electricity than one big one and it also gives the option to shut one down for maintenance without affecting the second tank. Another way to look at is most likely you will have to install a larger pump than would normally be necessary because of the increased head pressure and amount of plumbing the one pump will push the water thru.

consider what has to happen. the water from the level between the lowest spot on the over flow and return line and the highest level it reaches from the amount of flow going into the tank needs to be able to come from the sump as well as be held when the power is off.

look at the level your 75g takes up and do the math based on volume, it should scale down similarly. And if i remember right your not blasting your 75 with a ton of volume as it is so your frag tank could take about the same amount as your 75 is doing.

consider what has to happen. the water from the level between the lowest spot on the over flow and return line and the highest level it reaches from the amount of flow going into the tank needs to be able to come from the sump as well as be held when the power is off.

look at the level your 75g takes up and do the math based on volume, it should scale down similarly. And if i remember right your not blasting your 75 with a ton of volume as it is so your frag tank could take about the same amount as your 75 is doing.

I hate it when you make way too much sense right off the bat..(laugh)

Ok so I guess I will just make a sump at around 10 gallons or so for the frag tank, get a new return pump, and now the question is do I drill the tank or just do a HOB overflow for now?