purple firefish acting weird

Greefer

My purple firefish recently started acting weird. It has refused food for at least 3 days now and hides alot. The eye's look a little weird. The best way to describe it is that the eyes look a little swollen or pooching out on the bottom half of the eyeballs. I don't know what caused it. It has started wandering around the bottom of the aquarium tank and it has never done that before. It used to just swim in one spot in a stream created by the powerhead.

I do notice a small patch of Xenia looking a little sickly, I think my urchin ran over it. The other patches of Xenia look fine. The other animals are also acting completely fine. My last 20% water change was barely two weeks ago.

Hi Holly, thanks for your concern. I can't really tell from the angle of your picture. The eye problem is really noticeable only when I look at the fish, um, face to face. I can see both eyes are kinda swollen but only on the lower half of the eyeballs. The whites on the eyeballs also have taken on a strange metallic white color. The fish is definitely blind right now so I'm pretty upset about it.

I'm pretty sure it's my fault. I added a little live rock with pretty zoanthids on it not too long ago and tank parameters went out of whack. I have a 26 gallon so water is very sensitive. I've been doing lots of water changes and it's back to normal. Oh and that xenia patch I mentioned in the first post...looks pretty bad. All greyed out and limp. Should I scrape it off the rock? I've heard xenia secrete toxic chemicals when stressed.

• 1 month later...

Well, the fish is still fairly blind. I'm target feeding now with a pipette and she gets her food. It just sux that she went from this beautiful fish that would swim in the middle of the tank to this hermit in a cave that only comes out to eat.

I think I experienced a domino effect by adding the little piece of live rock with zoas on it. My sea urchin died, all my xenia is gone, my galaxea has receded. I know, I know, I should've quarantined. But a little tank like mine, a quarantine tank wouldn't be much smaller than the display! Besides the rock was in the LFS display for awhile already.

I'm sorry to hear that. Mine is totally blind in its left eye. It can still see in its right, but it spends most of the time with its head barely visible from its little hole. I'm glad your fish is still alive! And the galaxea will recover... We all loose things sometimes.