Crazy new PFO light being unvailed

WAVES

Well,, PFO has a new light that is being released at IMAC, its an LED fixture that can be run from 6.5k to 20k. Not only that but you can program the output to change throughout the day. want 20k in the am then to a crisp 10k at the days peak? Want to have clouds move across the tank as you view it? All this is available. LED bulbs are expected to last 5 years so no more replacing halides VHO's and T5s on a regular bases.

Available from 12 inches to 6 feet.

The output is being compared to a 250wHQI.

Unit runs on 24v DC power, so no more big power hogs either.

Price to be released in the next day or two at IMAC. Ill let you know when I have an idea of what they will run.

That just sounds sweet! It would be interesting to see how the coral respond to the different spectrums, as well as intensity, of light. I'm hoping they have some reports on preliminary findings to whet our appetites until the hobbyists have the chance to get ahold of them. Course, I guess that depends on if a hobbyist would have to sell a kidney to buy one!

Stacy

supposedly they never burn out
Are you serious? Well, I'm surprised they put together a lighting unit utilizing the technology then. They're going to be losing some on going profit with changing bulbs. Now I am a little frightened of how much they are going to cost!

Stacy

LED do not shift spectrum over time. They are estimating a 5 year lifespan but you may be able to get up to 10 years out of a unit.

These units will not actually hit the market until July. I am putting one on order as soon as they actually let me. They will be in a hood type unit that you can hang or support with legs.

They are supposed to be similar in out put to 250w double ended bulbs.

I told Carla not to break my bank but I need to have one. In 3 years these will probably pretty much eliminate metal halide lighting. You know the price is going to stay up there because they are cutting themselves out of selling bulbs and all the work that has gone on in development over the last 3 years. Just look at it over the long term. Lower electric consumption, no changing of bulbs and the ability to have amazing control over your lighting system. Well worth it.

They are supposed to have their own controller that you can hook up to your computer to program dawn to dusk, the color spectrum, and probably lots of other bells and whistles. I just wish they were going to be available before July. I can't wait to get my new toy.

Nobody is supposed to know about them yet as they are being unveiled at the show this weekend so I don't think you will find any info out there on them as of yet. Hopefully tomorrow will be the grand unveiling and then there will be e-mails going out to PFO customers with more details about them including pricing.

LED's still provide point source illumination. I don't know how stacking LED's will effect the ripples in the surface put I would imagine you would still get the ripple effect.

Thanks for all your positive feed back on the hood almost no one has seen. I am here in Chicago at IMAC setting up the booth. So far everyone has been impressed. I have posted the flyer for IMAC on our website extremely quickly. It also has a link to preorder prices good through May 4, 2006.

The question on shimmering effect: we are using 25 3 Watt LED's /foot. This is producing some shimmer effect. Not as good as Metal Halide but definately a lot better than fluorescent.

As far as coral testing: The Par readings look pretty good in relation to a 250 watt metal halide. I have a hood over corals at the show and a PAR meter set up with it. It is currently reading twice the par as a XM250W 20K bulb. This is not a factual number based on scientific tests. It is just a quick reading. However, when people walk up to the hood and test the PAR they appear to be amazed. Dana Riddle is taking a hood back to Hawaii with him to do testing and so is Sanjay Joshi. I have one hood left at the show not called for and I wouldn't be supprised to see it go to another author before the weekend is over.

The following is a link to our flyer:

http://www.pfolighting.com/Aquarium-LED-Lighting.aspx

The following is a link to our pricing and more detailed info:

http://www.pfolighting.com/AquariumPgFolder/Images/Show%20Pricing.pdf

I will be busy at the show and am sorry if I do not respond to questions.

Thank you for all your support

Patrick Ormiston

PFO Lighting Inc.

Hey Patrick,

Thanks for coming to our website and giving us a sneak peak at all this new technology. That things looks INCREDIBLE!!! There are so meaning options that it just un-real. Please keep us update if you can on all the new news about this product. THANKS AGAIN