What about special needs schools?

Kimberlee

If you want to drive to Salem' date=' Ricks Bargain Lumber has awesome prices for really nice finished wood.[/quote']

Good tip will check into it.

Sorry meant to post sooner. Kids, school carnivals, costumes and such. Didn't get pics today, the administrator had a parent meeting come up. Sometimes that happens at this school. But we did talk tank size and we're going w/ a 40 breeder. I'll go into detail latter right now I've got to caver pumpkins.

so far we know the size, We have someone to build the stand & hood, and I have someone to construct the sump and tank. We do need the two tanks though. The 40 B and a ten gal for the sump. I also think that t-5 lighting would be a good fit for the tank. 1 can do many things w/ those lights I use them. So if anyone has a tank in the size needed, that they would like to donate or a light fixture or bulbs please let me know.

I'm headed out tomorrow to pick up acrylic for a few projects and will scrounge the scrap bin for the acrylic to build the tank and sump. Shouldn't be a problem. I just need exact measurements. I also need sump info. If the stand is being built, I need to know the dimensions of the sump area. I need info on the skimmer, to find the optimum working depth and footprint, so I can build the sump around that.

For the sump, I was figuring on a simple design. Basically, a sock holder area, into the skimmer compartment, into the return pump/top off area. Should be pretty basic, just need some info. Let me know. Also, the stand builder should contact me via PM!

The dates

Now Mike the administrator has said I can pick the dates and he'll make sure we have access to the school. I was thinking Dec. 20th to set the tank up, giving it time to cycle and be stocked. We could stock 2 so that it would be ready when the children came back from winter break. This is a volunteer project all the way, so I will be relying on you great people to get this going. If you would like to volunteer please PM me so I know how many to expect.

This is our gift to the community this year and what a great gift it is, we have the entire school looking forward to the tank.

Thank you everyone for helping me help a school that gets forgotten to often.

When the tank is cycled let me know what you need for organisms. By looking at the lights you want I would suggest softies. I also have lots of donated clown fish if you want some for the tanks. And, for those that know me I can throw some zoos your way!

I'm headed out tomorrow to pick up acrylic for a few projects and will scrounge the scrap bin for the acrylic to build the tank and sump.

Good to go on the sump. Materials on hand, and ready to be built as soon as the final design is decided.

However, after looking at the acrylic, it seems that just buying an AGA 40B would be cheaper than the materials to build it. I'm sure some LFS out there would be willing to donate, or at least get one for this at wholesale costs...

Let me know.

• Like 1

Recap,

We have the stand, and the sump. We also have 1 person volunteering to help w/ the set up.We need the tank,(I'm going to check w/ the LFS's to see if I can get one, or at least get one whole sale, but. Also lights, I see a lot of you clearing out equipment in the classifieds. Those are the bigger things, so were most of the way there.

Other than that anyone who has a spare pound of rock, or some extra cheeto, please come. We could also make it a pot-luck. I'm a great cook.

And Dee77 those frags sound great thx.Thx, to SQUIDHC, and LLscott, plus everyone les.

Kimberlee I would be happy to donate 30 to 40 pounds of live rock to your cause. I'm thinking maybe we could do another tft style auction to help fund the lighting. I also have plenty of mushrooms and beginner zoas I would be happy to donate as well.

Nobody has a 40b they are trying to sell?

Kimberlee I would be happy to donate 30 to 40 pounds of live rock to your cause. I'm thinking maybe we could do another tft style auction to help fund the lighting. I also have plenty of mushrooms and beginner zoas I would be happy to donate as well.

Nobody has a 40b they are trying to sell?

Think you, you are awesome, lets hope you inspire others.

I have a 40 gallon breeder in my garage that is pretty much perfect I would be willing to donate if its what you need. Mike

Thx, Mike that's one more thing down.

Now I'm up in the air on something, and that's weather or not to add a sand bed to the tank. I have a SB, but I hear that it's easier to keep the tank clean without one. The easier we can make it for the school the better. Any input on the matter would be much appreciated.

Also is there anyone making the trip from Salem to Protland who might be willing to pick up the tank?

If you can come up with a PC fixture that will fit 65w CF Bulbs I'll supply them for it. I have at least half a dozen of them here. While it may not be a perfect fit for SPS corals it should be fine for most Soft Corals and LPS corals.

I did thank about the pc lighting, and have no problems w/ that let me see if I can get a fixture.Thanks rick and all those who are donating to this project.

I will take lots of pics when the kids get to see it.

Also we only have 1 volunteer for the set up. Please PM if you would like to be there, the more the marry-er and I like to see everyone there, especially if you donated to the tank. You don't half to volunteer to set up the tank, to come this is something we're doing for the community, and I know we all like to know how we're helping. Hears the chance to see.

the 1 volunteer is not me, so it's me +1 and we need more.

This community

I would like to state for the record that this is an amazing community of people we have here.I also like to think everyone for getting this project as far as it is. And special thx to Emerald 525, who is helping even when I don't see it.Really she is 1 of those people we should be happy to know and inspire to be more like.

This has given me the scene that we still have good people on this planet.

I have TFT live rock you can have. Also lots of softies. Let me know when you need them. I would make sure you cycle for awhile before you jump in and start putting alot of stuff in.

Agreed, thats why we'll set up on the 20th and stock the third of the next month. Jan. 3. Is that enough time to cycle? or would anyone suggest waiting longer?

Please everyone I'm new to the hobby, so all advice is welcome.