What about special needs schools?

Kimberlee

I took a look at the application for the tanks for teachers program, and to me it looks more than reasonable for most schools. My son however attends a school where the benefits of a saltwater tank might not be so obvious. I don't think that any tank should be placed in one room at this school, the academic plan is not detailed in that way, but I do see the whole school getting exposure to something they wouldn't likely see in other places. I know from the reaction my son has to my tank, that saltwater tanks bring out curiosity in all students, and give these teachers especially new ways to apply lessons that we might not see.

I guess what I would like to know is, is it possible to get this school a tank?

• Like 1

The biggest difference I see is that we would have to spend a little extra time with this school. I'm already there a lot so I could donate time, and we might need to ask members to do something like that. I think it would be rewarding for us to participate beyond getting the tank in the school.

From my experience with this school it would be worth our time. My son was bounced around every school in Portland, before they placed him there. It's the only place hes ever made any progress. That shows me how much at this school they really care. Thx to everyone taking the time to read this.

Talk to Roger, he's in charge of the TFT and is also a teacher down in Albany I believe it is....He is the guy you need to talk to about placing a tank, and he can get in touch with the school and get the ball rolling. His screenname is Mr S, super nice guy, he only has a few odd tendencies LOL

Kimber' date=' I highly suggest talking to Roger first, he is in charge of the Tanks for Teachers program, he's the guy you need to talk to before you talk to the school.[/quote']

just wanted to see if the school would have an interest but i want to go through proper channels more,thx will do

Kimber' date=' what school is it? My son is also special needs. He is the entire reason I even got a tank in the first place. I would love to help(I have some services I could offer, for free, that might help).[/quote']

It's the Pioneer program on 71st and division. They run all grades and this would end up being 2 schools on one campus that would benefit from the program. It would probably help some of these children just by being a calming thing when they get worked up. How many of us are soothed by our tanks when were upset?

Kimber' date=' what school is it? My son is also special needs. He is the entire reason I even got a tank in the first place. I would love to help(I have some services I could offer, for free, that might help).[/quote']

I think this would be a wonderful thing! Please keep us in the loop if the school wishes to be a part of the program

I can vouch for Squid HC being super handy!(clap) Wow I'm excited!(clap) Cmon MrS where are you buddy?(scratch)

Kim, I would suggest contacting the school and letting them know about the program and seeing if they are interested first. Let them know that all the supplies will be donated and that we can even help set the tank up. You need to find someone at the school who is willing to help maintain the tank and figure out what size and where it will go.

Having organized things before, Kim you just need to keep the ball rolling. Figure out what the school needs and when and we can get a group to help. This forum is that awesome!

Roger will help supply the equipment and I'm sure other of us would be willing to help out as well. He also has a bunch of frags and a bunch of clownfish he can donate.

I'm sure we can also get a group who is willing to help and actually set the tank up! We all love tank projects here.

Waiting to hear from the school administrator now. I think they'll jump at this just for the therapeutic value alone. I know we need to donate a little more time on this school, but I can go every week to assist w/ maintenance and take pics of how this effect the students, and it is a all year program making the issue of who cares for the tank during the summer not a problem.

You can send him a pm if you havent already' date=' other then that he's pretty good about checking his messages, give him a day or two to reply[/quote']

Sent him a pm through the e mail option. It is so hard to wait though, this is a great thing, and seeing everyone respond so quickly, and positively has got me ramped to make this an amazing experience for us all. Something we'll all remember and be proud to be part of.(clap)(rock2):D