Newest addition - Niger Trigger

Rick

Here are some pics of the Niger Trigger I got from Gradth yesterday. Triggers usually take a few days to get over being shy but this one took right to the tank and was out in the open after just a few minutes. Even ate some krill today so that is an excellent sign. My purple tang wasn't too happy at first. (In the last pick you can see it really flared up) It was trying to show it who is boss but the trigger more or less just ignored it and it's pretty much leaving it alone today.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9081

attachment.php?attachmentid=9082

attachment.php?attachmentid=9083

attachment.php?attachmentid=9084

attachment.php?attachmentid=9085

post-5811-141867784506_thumb.jpg

post-5811-14186778451_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867784513_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867784517_thumb.jpg

post-5811-141867784521_thumb.jpg

So nigers are reef safe? Awesome' date=' They are beautiful fish![/quote']

You will see some places that say they are and some that say they are not. You do need to be careful adding smaller fish and inverts (distract the trigger with food at the opposite end) so they don't eat them. As far as being safe for corals you can tell which ones are safe by looking at their mouths. If the mouth is turned up then they are safe, if it's down then they will eat corals. I've had niger triggers before and never had a problem with them other than a chromis I put in a tank without thinking (The trigger made a quick snack out of it). If someone wants a fish that has a huge amount of personality then these are the ones to get.

Great Rick, glad he is udjusting. hate to see him go, but at least hes finally in a tank sized well for him. great pics.

Keep me updated on how hes doing.

Triggers are great, a few are reef safe. I have a pair of blue throats in my 180 reef and they are wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...
Trigger not good in reef tank.. you will see alot of coral damage and soon... not to mention it might start nipping at your other fish...

Really almost everyone I know that has one in their tank they have been model citizens.

Is this personal experience?

Trigger not good in reef tank.. you will see alot of coral damage and soon... not to mention it might start nipping at your other fish...

There are a number of Triggers that are Reef safe. The Niger Trigger is one of them. The Sargassum and Blue Throat are others. It's pretty easy to tell which ones are by looking at their mouth. The triggers with mouths that are pointed downward are not reef safe. The ones that are upward are reef safe. I.E. They don't eat corals. While I can't really speak to the others about how they get along with tankmates the Niger Triggers are not aggressive at all towards most other tank mates. (In my experience I haven't had a fish yet they were aggressive towards) They are not timid either though. They simply ignore the others even when they are aggressive towards them.

Did I forget to mention that this is my third one. I think the tank I just finished setting up is my seventh one and the one fish I have had in every single one of them is a Niger Trigger. (Primarily because it's one of my wife's favorite fish)

As stated above, there are a number of Reef Safe triggers. I have a pair of blue throats that I have had for coming up on 2 years in a reef. Most well behaved fish in my tank. Dont harrass other fish, never been near a coral, dont touch my shrimp, crabs,snails. Did get a finger nipped a few times by an over anxious male.