Basic English Grammar

Piero

probably for the sump, but it's shocking to me how many people didn't learn in school:

'your' is not the same as 'you're'

'there' is no the same as 'their' or even 'they're'

'our' is not the same as 'are'

'to' is not the same as 'two' or 'too'

Bravo for pointing out how dumb people are, on our board. Another great post Piero.

probably for the sump, but it's shocking to me how many people didn't learn in school:

'your' is not the same as 'you're'

'there' is no the same as 'their' or even 'they're'

'our' is not the same as 'are'

'to' is not the same as 'two' or 'too'

I heard that Nyles. Move anolg people, move anolg. ;)

I also find it shocking that some people never learned: "If You Don't Have Anything Nice to Say... Don't Say Anything at All"

oh cut Randy some slack. He's on a mission :D

cant say too much about peoples spelling on forums. Its not a graded test so who cares? besides as long as people know what you are trying to say then its all good. My space bar and a few otehr keys dont work on my keyboard from pounding on it in frustration during gaming so thats my story and i'm sticking to it! lol

This may be shallow and I'm sorry if it offends anyone but I take people more seriously if they have good spelling and grammar - especially since there's a running spell-checker while you type a post. (whistle) :)

It seems that a lot of people mess up with conjugations. If you just think about it:

it's = it is

you're = you are

they're = they are

I don't know how to explain their usage and even if I did, it'd probably get confusing with technical English terms. Here are some (correct?) sentences with commonly misused words:

Jenny is going to the store. I am going to the store too. I'll have to make sure I don't use my two dollar bill.

Bob asked, "where are they going?" Kathy responded, "They're going to the store in their brand new car".

(Bob tried to kiss Kathy and Kathy punched Bob in the face before kicking him in the nuts)

"What's your problem?!" asked Bob. "You're a pig!" said Kathy before she dumped bleach in his fish tank. :eek:

Hehe. The end.

EDIT: I meant CONTRACTIONS.

It's a good thing June doesn't post here, she'd be putting red ink all over our posts! Anyone else married to a corrective teacher? I love it when my wireless keyboard connection is low and don't pay attention to the tv screen. Things get really screwed up on posts; I should really reinstall the spell checker for Opera too!

Spell checker for Opera'd be cool, except that real Opera's in Italian.. For all I know, they're singing about toilets and cat paws.

Yeah, the you're/your/their/there/they're thing is a huge problem for people for some reason, and that's very high on the annoyance scale. However, personally, my absolute biggest pet peeve is "irregardless." It's REGARDLESS, not irregardless. Irregardless isn't a real word. Irregardless would mean NOT regardless, but it's used in place of regardless. This isn't English.

Irregardless, I'm posting this. <--don't know [language filter] this is (scratch)

Regardless, I'm posting this. <--English (clap)

My third grade teacher Mrs Coleman used to use "irregardless" at least once a day, and even back then, it made me (nutty)

Oh man, I'm on the "irregardless" rant again. I feel very sure that the next six posts will have "irregardless" in them just to poke fun. I'm ready. I can take it. Bring it on!!! (laugh)

Spell checker for Opera'd be cool' date=' except that [i']real[/i] Opera's in Italian.. For all I know, they're singing about toilets and cat paws.

If you're not joking and use it, install it. Opera is free as of about a year ago. I love the program, especially the way it increases the size of pages for use on the TV for easier viewing.

www.opera.com/support/tutorials/opera/spellcheck/