125 gallon build

Joe Blow

So I purchased a 125gal tank, will be getting a sump today hopefully, and need to build a stand. I want to start this build thread off with asking a few questions about stand building. I am a journey carpenter w/ 16 years experience, so the carpentry isn't a problem. The thing I need is plans. Anybody have some for a 72"L x 18 3/8" W tank. The sump will be 18" tall as well. I went into Coral Reef Pet Center her in Salem, and bought the tank from Bob, and I seen the way the tanks are sitting there, so I got a basic idea of the frame. I plan on using finish plywood for the exterior. I don't want a contraption sitting in my living room, we want furniture. :D So any quality plans somebody has, even if just drawn up on a napkin would be awesome. Thanks, and this will continue as the build progresses so stay tuned. (clap)(clap)(clap)

Dang that was easy-I had it bookmarked-check it out;

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/diy/40444-stand-build-process-if-anyone-interested.html

The one thing I regret is putting the sheet of plywood on the top-I would like to redo my plumbing and I did not cut out enough room to get to the nut on the bulkhead-so if you go this route leave a nice opening so you can get into the bulkhead section (if your tank will be drilled for downspouts).

I guess it depends on how you plan to do the drain/return.

stay away from 90 degree bends on the down tubes also if you are drilling it for that type of drain/return.

Tank is already equipped with over flows, and everything runs out the back I believe. The tank I bought is one of the 4 display tanks in the back. If Bob is on here and sees this maybe he can say exactly what it is. This is my first actual build, so should be interesting to say the least. I have had a 20g up and running for 9-12 months maybe??? My current tank is a Finnex M-20, so i didn't have to do any of this stuff here. I just set it up and added water basically...........

Those plans look good. I'll prolly use 4x4 posts on my corners, and 2x6 for the table part that the tank sits on. I really like how that tank sits down in it, I just may do something similar. =)

You can check my 125g display build thread below to get an idea of what is required for the framework itself. I don't have any plans per se although it should be easy enough to see how it's built from the pics before I put the skin on. The framework itself is 2x4 construction which is plenty for this (Mass produced stands are often made with 1x4's and particle board) and will support the entire weight by itself (It was running for several weeks without the outer skin).