RO/DI auto shut off - HELP!!!!

grover2

I have been working on getting my RO/DI unit out of my kitchen this weekend. It has been in there for about 10 months and is driving me mad!!!!!

Anyway, I have moved the set up to the laundry room. Put a Y valve on the washing maching water line. Run a hose through the wall and to the auto shut off, then to the filter unit and back into a garbage can (clean 55 gallon only used for fish water). The discharged water runs back through the wall and down the drain for the washing machine.

I have bought all the appropriate connectors and auto shut off I have is a brass one with and intake and outlet with fittings for hoses. Then there is a float attached by an arm and a simple shaft in the unit to shut it off. However, it is leaking non filtered water out the top of the shaft. I have taken the unit apart many times and added two new, thicker gasket/o-rings. It slowed the leaking down, but unless the unit is just right it still leaks.

My questions are:

what auto shut offs are other people using?

where you purchased them?

do you hook the auto shut off before or after the filter unit? If it is after, don't you have water constantly discharging from your unit?

and any other suggestions you may have?

ideas on how to connect the shut off valve to the garbage can? (I was thinking the unit should attach inside the can incase it leaks)

Well, my autotopoff and RODI are not integrated so I'm not sure what I do will help. I have a Kent float valve in my RODI water barrel which of course is after the RODI filter.

For my top off I use one of these: http://www.top-off.com/viewitem.php?it_id=16 They also sell a nice cheap moonlite strip.

There is also this company: http://www.autotopoff.com/index.html

I use the coralife auto shut off (17.59 at drfostersmith) and had the same problem. This unit is after the filtration. I had neglected to replace my existing 90 degree elbow fitting on the outlet of my unit with the check valve sent with my filter. The parts looked identical so I didn't switch it. My fitting wasn't a check valve so it didn't work. Water should get shut off at the check valve, not right at the float.

The unit is leaking around the shaft that goes up and down. There is a gasket in the shaft, which I have replaced with two better gaskets. I think I am going to take the whole get up back and purchase a float designed by coralife (the brand of my filter). Then it should work with my filter.

Thanks everyone for the advice, it lead me to research shut offs available commercially. I had read other posts when I was first getting started of DIY set ups and didn't realize the commercial ones were readily available and inexpensive.