High Nitrates How To Lower

pnkrcklives

I do not run purigen. But I have done some reading about it looks like I will be starting to use it. It just happens that today is my water change day any way so that why I am just going to up the percentege. Retest and then start doing 5 gallon a day change till it is solved.

It was worth trying for me too-I tried so many other things, and it may not be just the purigen but a combination of many things-

Good luck I hope you see some positive results, regardless please repost or reply back with the findings.

Junk-

Do you recharge your Purigen using the method described by the manufacturer?

If so how many times do you do that before tossing it?

I don’t recharge it-I got scared when I read something about "soaking it in bleach" and then baking it in the oven-(scary)

Funny after reading this thread, I had to check my NO3, it was actually higher than it has been, I bet it was closer to 2 maybe 3, for sure less than 5, not .01. (don’t you love those color cards they go from like1-2-5-10-50 or something like that-(laugh))

I posted .01 because for the last 8-9 months of checking it that’s were it always was-I honestly quit checking about 3 months ago and just changed out the media when it changes color.

I also quite doing water changes every other week and went to once every 3rd week or monthly-

Bad "Junkie" getting lazy I am

I'll say after reading this thread, I am presently looking at De-nitrators (AGAIN-(laugh)), its been ages since I read up on those and I always saw mixed reviews, but I'm gonna surf around and see what’s the latest scoop. I'll start a thread and see if anyone is using one "with success".

As I understand Purigen, it does not remove NO3, it removes the organics before they have a chance to convert into NO3.

make sure your alk is stable too, that will cause softies to suck in. dosing alk back up a point might make them happy again. it depends on where they are used to having it. and i'd do 20% water changes daily until nitrates are back down. make sure your freshwater source doesn't have nitrates to start with either.

A little up date. 24 hours after adding activated carbon(11 oz). My Nitrates had droped 5ppm. Did a 20% water change last night. This morning Nitrates down to 10ppm. Yeah progress. Another 20% water change tonight. And I think I may have it down to around 5ppm I hope. Then I will adjust my water change schedule based 0n a 10% water change. I was reading some articles about having old sand and it not being able to complete the biological filtration process. I think this may be part of the issue. As I have no idea how long it has been in there. I will do some more research about this and let you know.