bulbs

Holly

I have SE. My corals are all doing great and seem to be growing a little, so maybe if I move up to some good SE 14Ks, they'll really take off. Since I can't get the Pheonix DE, what do you recommend for SE in the 14-15 range?

I change my MHs every 9 months (T5s every 6 months), so if it depreciates at 9m, that's OK

I wish I'd gone ahead and put in ballasts for 400W bulbs instead of 250W. I have plenty of wattage (7+/gallon) but I don't think the quantity of light on the bottom is as high as I'd like...

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

This site has bulb comparisions. The Iwasaki rated best in PAR for IceCap ballasts (which I have) but it's 6500K, which I don't want. The best above 10K for IceCap (according to this site) is the AquaLine Buske 13K. It's single-ended, and I found it on EBay for $110. http://cgi.ebay.com/10K-400-Watt-Aqualine-Metal-Halide-Bulb-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ4304882362QQcmdZViewItem

I like the looks (tank pics) of the AquaConnect 14K, CoralVue 15K (SE is 14K), and Hamilton 14K. Then I found several blogs that said that the XM SE 250W 15K bulbs were THE BEST SE.

Too much info! UGH (scratch)

Do you know anything about these bulbs? I'm leaning towards the Buske or XM rightnow, based on what I've been reading...

Well, it's definitely a 10K. I'm gonna get Hamilton I think

My lighting is three 250W SE MHs for a 24"deep tank. I kinda wish I'd just gone ahead and gotten 400ballasts instead of 250. I think for the right light to reach the sand, I need to stick with 10 or 11K.

I have sixteen 36" T5s pure actinics. Unfortunately, even with all these bulbs, it's not very crisp. The tank lighting is very bright white, and the color on my corals isn't as bright as I'd like it. I can't quite figure out how 16 T5s can be too little actinic lighting! (scratch) That's 624W of actinics!!

Many of those T5s have varying brightnesses, even though we got them at once, they're all the same brand, and they were supposedly all brand new. I suspect that they were used when they were sold to us as new. One of them was dead within a week. We got soaked with our first tank (no pun intended(laugh)), but at least I've learned a lot from it.

Should I get 400W bulbs so they're underrun?

if you want growth and you have actinics go with the xm 10's they are crisp white no yellow now if you dont care about growth and you just want pretty colors then a 15 range is best so you do get some growth but not much. if you want super color go with the 20k's you get low low growth but with that mh and actinics it will be color pop everywhere.

Growth! I want what's best for the inhabitants. That's why I decided on 10K. I can get Aqualine or XM from the places I called (neither can get Hamiltons). Think I'll prob get XM.

I got home today and one of my MHs was out. I knew it was getting to that time (notable drop in lumens), but I didn't think they'd actually burn out before Feb. Hasn't even been 6m yet. Maybe my photoperiod's too long: T5s from 8-8 and the MHs from 10-6. Should I shorten? How many hrs do you guys run yours?

I think I'll go with what I have right now ballast-wise and see what kind of output I get from new bulbs. The original bulbs put in by the LFS were generic 250W 10K bulbs. I can't even find a name anywhere on the bulb. I'm sure the LFS put the cheapest thing it could find to maximize profit. Being a newbie, I didn't know there was any difference from one MH to another. DOH!

I've learned a lot of valuable lessons from this first set-up...

Marine Depot $65. http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_bulbs.asp?CartId=

I love MD, even though their prices are par, never great. Every time I order from them, they literally process and ship within an hour or two. Today, I ordered the bulbs after 4pm and by 4:40, I received the email confirmation that they'd already SHIPPED it. :eek:

Everything shows up right on time, wrapped carefully, and in great shape.

You can't get service like that everywhere...

I have 2 bulbs left out of 3--the middle and right bulb. I was going to move the middle bulb to the left to disperse the light more evenly but my capricornis & montiporas are right under the middle light, so I hesitated to take the light off of them.

I won't sweat it, if you don't think 2 days is a big deal. I gave the tank a little swirl of cyclopeeze tonight, to tide everyone over (hungry)

:D Thanks! I was worried about my toadstool in the shade...