Its ALIVE!! 250g tank

Smann

• 2 months later...

Havent posted any updates for awhile, tank in going on three months old. I've picked up a few nice colonies and things are starting to fill out

tankdec2010.jpg

coralleft.jpg

coral3.jpg

coral-1.jpg

tankright.jpg

coral2.jpg

I Gave Roger a few pieces for the TFT auction, the green tipped birdnest, a green stylo, rainbow birdnest and a piece of this Pink Stylophora which I believe isnt avaiable anymore. This one came from an area in fiji that is closed for collecting, thats what I was told a while back, I could be wrong, anyway its pretty nice piece

pingstylo.jpg

I'll post some pics of the tank room in a little bit

• Like 1

Did you add more rock since I saw it?

No not really I might have brought a few pieces in from the sump

Verry nice set-up. How has the skimmer since break-in' date=' i've been considering one.[/quote']

I like it alot, very good skimmer but the air/pump are a bit loud

Here is a tour of the tank room, its a little tight to take pictures

I put a pull down shade over the sump, since then it stays really clean

IMG_3484.jpg

Skimmer and ozone

IMG_3485.jpg

I pulled out the Genx and put in a Pan World, nice pumps very quiet

IMG_3494.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3496.jpg

The dimmable Coralvue 250 watt ballast

IMG_3486.jpg

The overflow turned out to be a good place for frags, snails like it too

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

Have a few extra cords laying around had to move the saltwater barrel in for the cold weather

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3500.jpg

The view from the end of the tank

IMG_3493.jpg

do you charge for consults??

Great looking set that for sure a couple questions if you would not mind....

What is the white bucket above the chiller and to the left of the sink for?

Your tank has the exact same footprint of my "future" build and in looking through all your tank posts, I have come to the realization that I was going way over the top with what I thought I would require for equipment.

Did you go with the XP5000 with the idea of having a heavy bioload? Your tank does not seem to have a lot of fish and that skimmer is rated for 500 gallons heavy load-awesome skimmer but was there any reason you chose that one.

I ask because I am looking at the same one but thought it may be more than I need. I am also looking at the 5000 ext and int ones as well.

I ask not because I challenge/question your decisions, I ask because you have "been there" and "done that", and I am about to.

It would be cool to be able to stop by and check this out sometime and pick your brain- I would be happy to bring some sipping seltzer to loosen you up for info-

Great looking set that for sure a couple questions if you would not mind....

Not at all, Thanks

What is the white bucket above the chiller and to the left of the sink for?

DYI top off, I have an electric solenoid on the house plumbing hooked to the controller, It comes on once a day for an hour and fills the bucket to the float valve which shuts it off at that level, about 4 gal.It gravity feeds from the bucket, thru the Kalk reactor to the float valve in the sump

Your tank has the exact same footprint of my "future" build and in looking through all your tank posts, I have come to the realization that I was going way over the top with what I thought I would require for equipment.

Did you go with the XP5000 with the idea of having a heavy bioload? Your tank does not seem to have a lot of fish and that skimmer is rated for 500 gallons heavy load-awesome skimmer but was there any reason you chose that one.

Mine is the XP3000, I think its rated for up to 400g, 300 with a heavy load. If you will have a tank room its a great skimmer for the price which I'm sure the 5000 is also, I wouldnt put in under in a cabinet though its to loud

It would be cool to be able to stop by and check this out sometime and pick your brain- I would be happy to bring some sipping seltzer to loosen you up for info-

Anytime, let me know. I'm uasually home in the late afternoons and weekends, love to show it off and share ideas

So the last on the list is the lighting, this is the part of the project I'm the most satisfied with, the ballast, Sunlifts and the accesibility to the tank have worked out really well. The rack is made out of 3/4" angle aluminum, measures 70"x37" and has cross supports where the bulbs are attached. The whole rack with bulbs weighs less than 25lbs which is easily lifted and supported by the four Sunlifts.

The equipment List

Four 36" T5, two Actinic, two Aqua Blue with 2 Workhorse 5 ballast

Four 60" T5, same bulbs, 2 Workhorse 7 ballast

Three 250w MH, Reeflux 12k bulbs, Coralvue electronic dimmable ballast

Two MH 400w MH, Reeflux 12k bulbs, same ballast

Six Neptune LED moon lights

The rack sits so the MH are about 12" from the water, T5's about 8.5" and is hanging from four Sunlight Supply "Sunlifts"

light1.jpg

There are four acrylic cradles the rack rest on to keep the rack from swinging around and to set the height when lowering it.

light9.jpg

The rack can be lifted from all four sides, the Sunlifts hold the rack up similar to a window shade

light2.jpg

light4.jpg

light3.jpg

light5.jpg

The 250 w ballast, center bulbs comes on first then the two outside bulbs. The nice thing about the dimmable basllast is you can get the lower K bulbs then adjust more blue tint by slightly dimming them.

light7.jpg

The ballast on the right is the Coralvue 400, I have another one on the way. I first bought a Sunlight adjustable 250/400 then decided on the Coralvue. The color adjustment works with the 400's also

the small orange plugs are for the T5's, all the fixtures unplug at the rack or the ballast and the whole rack can be removed in just a few minutes

light6.jpg

The moon lights are staggered across the rack, I just have them come on early in the morning and late at night for looks. The DIY reflectors had to be notched to fit together

light8.jpg

And yes I like ALOT of light :D

Would like to say your tank look awesome

That is disgustingly awesome. You are taking reefing to proverbial heights.

Thanks, you guys are to kind

Great job Steve. I'm looking forward to see it in person

Thanks Alex, let me know when you'll be in the area

all i can thingk is wow... ilike how you understate ..." i picked up a few nice colonys..." those corals are ridicuklous... its awesome on so many levels...just awesome...i like the turbo snails you house in your over flow... tank is sweet..

Thanks, most of the coral came out of my 180, I lost all my Acropora in 08 and once the new tank was up and going I have started collecting Acro's again, most are in the first pics on the left side. The Astraea snails can come and go as they please in the overflow, they seem to like it there.