Ideal tank temperature?

R-3

What is everyone's ideal tank temperature? I try to keep mine around 80 but wondered if it would be better to lower it a bit. Just looking for some input on what everyone else keeps there's at. Later Ryan

• Like 1

My tank has never looked better than it has since i adjusted the temp to 79.5-80.0

Did you have it hotter or colder before?

I've read all sorts of theories, some saying a temp of 82-83 is better for corals?

Mine is at 80 in the 20H, and it's doing awesome!

I'm still fiddling with the 40G to get it to stabilize.

I think I need a new heater, because if I leave the fan all night, the temp goes down to 78.

At other times the heater comes on even though the thermometer reads 81. :confused:

I had it around 77 before, not to mention that i added the temp controller. That made the most difference IMO. Instead of the temp being anywhere from 75-80, it now only fluctuates half of a degree. Those thermostats on the heaters are notorious for fluctuations.

I like to keep mine in the low 70's. Around 72-75ish. The corals seem to do fine and the fish love it even more. Remember, lower the temp. the more O2 can be kept per unit volume. You also want to keep your O2 levels at or close to the saturation point (with the use of ozone, which breaks down to O2) which increases the respiration and health of all of the animals in your tank, fish and inverts. It's because of these things that I like to keep my temp. on the lower side. I've got more reasons why I keep it lower, but this is only a theory that I have, and it seems to work great in my tanks with no problems.

I have always shot for 78-80. I get there at night with lights out and in the early morning. But when the MH's kick on it is always around 80-81, last summer it got to 83 but no higher. I have 2 fans on timers (1 in canopy and 1 over sump) and a third if needed but not to often.

It has really helped that I installed an attic fan last spring and it kept the house temp down and helps with the tank temp too. With it the window AC units don't work as hard.

I keep my nano around 79, but have thought of taking it a bit lower to see how everyone fares. I've heard good arguments for lower temperatures. Jay's 240 is around 81 right now. It does fluctuate a bit, which I'm sure he can elaborate more upon. We did buy a chiller though to try to even out the temp.

Granted... it's not hooked up yet... hopefully he'll get to it before summer gets here! (wife)

Stacy

Yeah, there are benifits to lower temp., more so for fast growing fish such as tangs. As the temp. rises, so does their motabilism, which makes them grow faster, and eat more. If you are trying to lower nutrients and feed less w/o starving your fish, this is one way to do it. Like I mentioned before it also increase the O2 concentration in the water. More O2 for corals to photosynthesis equals to higher growth rate, and overall healthy corals, shrimp, snails, fish, and other inverts. With global warming being a factor to coral bleaching, I wouldn't want my temp. being too high anyways. It is also a fact that some corals are even exposed at low tide (with temps being over 90, I'm sure), but I don't know if corals "like" to be exposed. I mean, we can hold our heads in water for minutes at a time if we trained for it, but why do it if we don't have to?

If anyone thinks otherwise, please be free to argue, like I said this a theory that I'm trying out in my tanks, so it is far from being fact. Anyone else have lower temp.?

What brand chiller did you guys get??

PCI refurb unit. R2 stands behind their product, so we went for it. He uses their equipment in his store and has nothing but good to say about them.

We tried to get away with not having a chiller last summer and it was rough. We have the rusted out box fans to prove it! I don't think either one of us was willing to chance it again. Plus Jay wants to move the halides down closer to the water (they're pretty high up right now) so a chiller is a must.

Come on, Bob! You don't want to blow fans, have ridiculous evap rates and throw frozen two-liters of water in your sump? Where's your sense of adventure? (We're not very adventurous anymore either!) laugh

I can't wait for you to get your 55 running! Course, you know... now is the time to just go bigger, before you even set it up! ;)

Stacy

Ok, I run my tank at 82. Jansen mentioned the reason, you raise the metabolism of the corals inside. This means to me faster growth rates.

Other reasons too.

-Less instance of disease. Ich will not tolerate high temps, other parasites are similar.

-Lower fluctuation of temps in the summer months. I do have a chiller, but I can keep my temp in a narrow range when it gets really warm outside (and inside). When it gets above 80 outside, the tank will heat up substantially, and the shock is less severe to the corals when they are used to higher temps.

For me, the upper limit is 84. Then, the lights go out.

The Chiller is a 1/2 HP PCI. I want to lower my halides to about 8" off the water. Should be no problem this year. I would have plumbed the chiller in, but I am going to be gone for almost 2 weeks. I didn't want a disaster to happen. I have read too many horror stories. I'll plumb it when I get back. That way my father-in-law doesn't have to worry about it. I am also going to replace all my submersible pumps for externals. Should help with the heat issue.

Jay

HA! I had thought about that. But i keep coming back to the fact that i have the 55 laying around. HMMM it would make a nice sump for a 120g.

See! Now you're thinking! You might as well just get the 120 because you know down the road you'll just want to go bigger! The 55 would make a fabulous sump, indeed!

Come on... you know you wanna! Give in to temptation! (devil)

Stacy

This is something I've wondered about as well. I read an article called "Why No Heaters" on Woody's website. Basically, he says that in nature the ocean is constantly going through temperature changes throughout the day. So I wonder why nobody tries to re-create this in their aquarium?

Here is a link to Woody's article: http://www.seahorse-nw.com/No_Heaters.html