Mac vs. PC

Miniwhinny

Hey dude....it all comes down to what you are going to use it for....if it is everyday computing....forum's, applications, games, internet browsing and email, movies and so on then PC is the way to go....if you are doing graphic design, web design and stuff like that then it's mac

That is what my 15+ years in IT and computers in general has led me to believe. I have had several interactions with both MAC and PC. MAC loves to rape it's customers on labor for repairs while you can get PC repair for as low as $25 an hour.

Well you guys are no help at all!!!!!! I was confused before I posted...I wanted 50 responses all voting one over the other not a split decision (laugh)(scratch) HAHAHA.

Seriously, all kidding aside, if you want a computer that works seamlessly with any hardware and software (in fact comes pre-loaded with everything you need for your family) and you have no "pc" specific software you need to run ie: cad/cam, billing software, etc. and you want a computer that everyone in the family will love, that does NOT crash *ever*; that you do not need to hassle with, that will never get a virus, that just works - everyday- then buy a mac. Like I said go down to the Apple store and just check it out, you will be impressed.

Well you guys are no help at all!!!!!! I was confused before I posted...I wanted 50 responses all voting one over the other not a split decision (laugh)(scratch) HAHAHA.

The very best thing you can do is head to an Apple Retail Store and check it out for yourself. One secret I can give you is the refurbished section from the retail website (lower left corner). I've made many purchases of refurbished Apple gear and not a single piece of it looked like it has even been out of the box. Usually takes a couple months for the newest models to appear but you can get discounts from 8-25%. Apple updates the list each night to reflect new items.

Seriously though just take a free visit to an Apple retail store and see what you think.

Be sure to check out the 27" iMac... even if you're just shopping for a laptop. It'll blow you away :)

And please don't make a decision based on half-baked parts and support "quotations" that are easily shown to be false. Try 'em out, see what feels best to you.

The new 12 core Mac Pro disagrees with you. In fact, it is very amused (laugh)

All companies are horrible, it's what companies DO. What does that have to do with anything?

Heck the new i7 iMac would do just fine - the 12 core wouldn't be fair to the poor PC (laugh)

It's interesting that Apple seems to be getting a better performance spread out of their i7 CPUs over the i5 models. Several PC benchmarks have had problems justifying the the extra expense for an i7 over an i5 due to the negligible performance gain in so many areas.

Im a pc guy, never owned a mac, but played around with friends and such. Dont like it, never will. Over priced IMO. Love my ipod, but thats where it ends. Apple = virus free is a joke.

I started building my own a few years back and that is the way to go if you have the knowledge or someone that does. Stay away from Dells and HP's and all there bloatware. I spent more hours fixing peoples Dells than I care to comment on. Best thing for a dell is a complete reformat out of the box and get rid of all there garbage.

Plus im a gamer and Mac cant touch PC on that.

Mac owner/user since 94' PC User since 89'. Both are easy to use now. You can buy good protection for both. PCs are cheaper. Who cares how fast they are for the average non gamer user.

The question is.... what computing needs do you have. Macs break and so do pcs.

Buy what you want and can afford. Just do not buy a cheap computer.

Personally I love macs. I am beginning to dislike how much they make you pay for all the extras like adapters and such.

Having a laptop is very convenient if you are not sure about desktop vs. laptop.

Mac

My daughters husband works for Apple in the Washington Square Mall and buys a new computer every six months. I ask why and he responds for a new and better computer with a new warranty. My laptop is three years old and has never crashed yet. I will stay with mine because I can't afford a new computer every time Apple improves. I also have a 160 gig Ipod that the sound even in lossless format is about as good as an old 8 track tape. Overrated, Over hyped, Overpriced products that the jump on the band wagon buyer has to have.

Thanks everyone for all of your input.

I'll go to the apple store and check them out (obviously) but once again living in Central Oregon...no apple store DOH! So I guess a trip to PDX is in store (oh sweet....lots of LFS's to visit lol)

The only reason we're starting to think about Macs after a family of 4 all using PC's for ever is that my Dell XPS has had nothing but problems from day one and my sons Dell's hard drive crashed last week and hubby completely lost it when he spent 2 hours talking to someone in India who he couldn't understand...that and Vista...which I HATE (wife)

I guess before I look any further I need to make sure Mac can the programs I need.

Thanks everyone.

Re: Mac vs. PC

Guess it doesn't matter either way....but its kinda funny....what I find funny is MAC is now emulating windows....which says a lot about their OS's....and now adopted PC parts....which says a lot about their hardware.....so I guess you are getting a PC anyway....just the MAC one will be 2 to 3 times as expensive

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

So you have an issue with Dell and consider MAC? Hmm....

Well that's why I came here to ask anyone who has had both what they prefer DOH! This is only day 2 of even looking lol !

I had no idea when I came on to ask just how loyal some people are to each side...guess it's like Coke and Pepsi ;) Me...I just want to quench my thirst lol :D

I should have said that you are going to get very strong opposing ideas here.....MAC and PC is like deciding if Catholic and Christianity are right or wrong. They are very close to being the same now, with suttle differences, but both serve thier purpose...

What do you use your machine for?

If it is just dell then build your own. That is the only way I like to do computers. When I recieve Dell's for customers I immediately dump the OS and reload them to get all the junk out of it. Same with HP's and anyother large manufacturer.

But to jump to a MAC seems like one huge headache....you have to completely learn a new machine....all the way around. EVERYTHING is different. But if you are lucky....or smart....you will end up with Windows anyway. Then there is no worries. But I would save the money and get a PC....most likely build one...it's gonna be better than any store bought dollar for dollar....and WAY cheaper than that McComputer....uh....I mean MAC

CA2OR,

thanks for offering to help.

I'm not wanting to build my own and I think I've just ruled out Mac because I don't want to have to learn a new system. The computer to me is a means to an end...the end is something that will help me with my business. It's like a car...I can get from A to B in my Subie the same as hubby can in his Dodge 3500...but my Subie can't pull our 36' 5th wheel. I also don't need to know any more details than my Subie takes premium and his Dodge takes diesel :D.

I'm ashamed to say that I'm not very computer literate...I need and "out-of-the-box" turn it on and use it machine.

I'm sure both systems have a lot to offer and I appreciate everyone's input.

Guess it doesn't matter either way....but its kinda funny....what I find funny is MAC is now emulating windows....which says a lot about their OS's....and now adopted PC parts....which says a lot about their hardware.....so I guess you are getting a PC anyway....just the MAC one will be 2 to 3 times as expensive

You owe me a new Apple keyboard Eric! I spit my coffee all over it and my monitor when I read this post. MAC emulating Windows!!??? What the H*LL are you talking about? Microsoft hasn't had an original idea since......uhhh...EVER! EVERYTHING they have ever done has been a poor rip-off of other people ideas. Sorry dude, you really are out of touch on the whole Mac - Windows thing. I can make a list of things ten pages long that Microsoft/Windows has copied from the Mac. Name one thing Apple has copied from windows.

Microsoft even had to buy DOS from some poor guy for Pete's sake!

Sheesh!

.....I'm ashamed to say that I'm not very computer literate...I need and "out-of-the-box" turn it on and use it machine.

I'm sure both systems have a lot to offer and I appreciate everyone's input.

This is EXACTLY why you buy a Mac instead of a PC.

Step 1. Take it out of the box

Step 2. Plug it in

Step 3. Plug in your peripherals

Step 4. Turn it on

Step 5. Use it and Love it!

That's it man! No hassles with installing drivers and whatnot. Everything you plug into a Mac just works! Printers, routers, cameras, you name it, plug it in and it works. On a pc you must install and keep current drivers for all your peripherals or they won't work. This is a fact. Plus EVERY program you use on a Mac looks and feels like EVERY program you use on a Mac. It cannot be easier.

Look, I could actually have a financial stake in your decision. I should be telling you to buy the latest HP PC. This would make my profit share check just a little bigger. But for someone who just wants to use a computer and not "build it yourself" or maintain it or hassle with it at all, I cannot in good conscience recommend a pc for someone like you. At least go to their website: www.apple.com and take a look around.

Miniwhinny, you sound a lot like me with computers. I primarily use it for the internet. I have no interest in learning how to modify a computer and want the set up to be simple. I am using a Dell laptop. Beth's reject when she upgraded to a mac. The hard drive has gone out twice in it but I have computer savvy people to fix it. I would agree if you're going to get a pc don't get Dell. I also had problems with and Toshiba.

The setup is incredibly simple for a Mac. The price is much higher agreed but not when you factor how often pc's go out and need to be replaced and I don't enjoy the technical side.

When this Dell finally dies, I will probably get a Mac. My only concern is I'm so used to the PC. There are some differences but I have not had any difficulty using Beth's mac. Mac has a one on one program for 100 dollars more and I would plan on intending that and taking the classes. For graphics and presentations and papers which is the other thing I would use, Pc's cannot compare to mac.

OKay Steelhead and Kim...

Maybe once I've figured out how to turn it on (lol...I'm not quite that bad ! - just nearly !!!) Maybe a Mac would be better. Arghh, this isn't easy lol.

I'll plan a trip to Portland and go check them out for myself. I guess until I try one I'll never know.

...and if I do change over I'll come back and let everyone know if the change was for the better or not.

Jeez, Eric didn't we already cover this earlier on in the thread? Yes, you can buy a low quality things for very little money. Yes, better quality things cost more money.

A decent quality (HP, Toshiba, etc) PC laptop with similar specs to a Core 2 Duo MacBook will set you back between $750 and a grand or so (proof) -- roughly the same as a MacBook.

this whole post makes me laugh...(laugh)

Here is my unbiased opinion. I'll try to keep it away from the gb, dual core, sata, pci-e talk that may confuse someone that isn't caring about having specialty stuff.

Part one:

I have used PC's for going on 15 years. I do everything under the sun on them. I build them for myself and family also. It brings me some sort of dual satisfaction knowing that I can hunt down the parts to make a great machine for a fraction of what Dell or HP or whoever else boxes these things up for and enjoy it while doing it. I also am the trouble shooter and repair guy for everyone under the sun that I know.DOH!

Part Two:

About 5 years ago I started getting into photography and decided that the PC really wasn't cutting it for the photos. I investigated apples products and really liked what I saw. I bought a 17" widescreen powerbook pro. I bought it used off ebay(being careful who I bought from) as I couldn't afford it new. To date it has exceeded my expectations by far. It does everything so effortlessly and gracefully. It really is a piece of art and less of a labyrinth of machine parts. Apple makes all their products for its users to be able to navigate with ease at all times.

Part tree:

If I was told I could only own one I would say I would take the pc. I really like my computer games and I love building them from scratch and watching it come alive. If it wasn't for the games though, I would hands down take an apple 8 days a week. Apple really wins on so many other levels. Their support is better in my opinion. The ease of use for first time users is a great selling point. The appearance of apples products is miles ahead of anything a pc company has yet to put out.

I look at the possible increase in cost like this. You spend maybe a hair more now to not have any issues later. Apple puts high quality stuff into their computers and they rarely need anything after that for years. A pc on the other hand seems to always need a little tweak here and an upgrade there. I still run into problems I have to fix on my pc I just built less then a year ago. I love it to death but it can be a pain in the *** at times. I was very very thrifty when building it and that is the only reason I can justify buying what I did. I spend a little under 1k and got a monster of a machine. I just couldn't have gotten that from apple for that cost. I also couldn't have gotten it from any pc seller either though. I was looking at almost 3K for this machine from dell or any other company. If your buying outright pre-built machines I think apple has the market right. Plug it in and put all your info in and let it do all the rest from there on.

The plug and play with apple is also unmatched. You turn the bluetooth mouse on and BHAM!!! a screen says "Would you like to connect the bluetooth mouse?". From then on it knows your mouse every time you use it. With a pc, that will require some software downloads, advanced setting adjustment and an update to the most recent patch for the week.(you PC guys know this is true as much as I do:D) The one exception seems to be when the product is meant for a PC too. Like printers for example are not quite plug and play like everything else. They are still much faster on an apple but not just plug and done.

If you really love the windows looks and such then you can get a program like bootcamp or parallels and run it off your apple. Personally I like the layout of the apples so much more I got an emulator to make my PC function like an apple.

I know others disagree with this but if I had to rate my personal preferred use of each of these functions this is how the list would go...

Games: PC

compatibility:APPLE

upgrade ability:PC

Photo/video/music:APPLE

Web/forums:APPLE

reliability:APPLE

Functionality:APPLE

ease of use:APPLE

aesthetics:APPLE

customization:PC

connectivity:APPLE

overall cost:PC

Repair costs:PC(pc generally needs repaired much more though;))

Well there ya go. that is what I truly believe about the whole Apple vs. PC hoopla. Pick your poison, but just know at the top of each is a huge bank account and a lot of corporate greed. They don't really give a crap about you when it's all said and done. They just want your money. Since it sounds like you already know what is to be had with a pc, do yourself a favor and go to the mac store and see if an apple is going to better suit your needs. My guess is it will just based on your need in a computer. I think you will be much happier with an apple. Don't take it from any of us though.

.......anyone want to talk about AMD vs Intel!!!!!!!(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

just kidding, no thank you. We already know AMD is better!:p