Mac vs. PC

Miniwhinny

I convinced both Beth and my brother to switch from PC to Mac and both are very happy. Much better product in my opinion. It takes some getting used to. They can transfer all your stuff from your pc to your mac but that process was not perfect as some files were left behind and my brother could not get all of his itunes to transfer. If you live near an apple store they have classes you can take which are very helpful.

I think if you got a laptop with Windows 7 you would be very happy. Much less expensive. I went from Mac to PC about 12 years ago. Windows OS just got better and better. Going from XP to 7 and faster processing would do you good for a good period. My new laptop had 4 gigs of Ram, Vista premium 64, 320 gig drive, laser printing DVD, duo t64 CPU, HDMI out. etc. $375.00 about a year ago. I don't think you can get anywhere near that on a Mac.

Look on tech deals or slickdeals for special sales.

I still have a PC for gaming on (the only place where Windows has a real edge over Macs, and it's a BIG edge... if you wanna game, buy a PC) but for my personal machine -- which I develop on, do productivity stuff on, web, etc -- I'm Mac all the way.

I've been a Windows user since 2.0, and still use it full-time at work but OS/X is head and shoulders above even Windows 7. It is more stable, faster, more secure, better engineered and doesn't need to be wipe-and-reloaded every 6 months. Both my kids have Mac laptops and I spend ZERO time supporting them, the machines just work. The gaming PC and my wife's Vista laptop need regular, ongoing maintenance.

IMO, Apple is supreme at designing UIs and customer experience.. the success of the iPod, iPhone and iPad are clear indicators of this. Everything on the Mac is the way it is elegant on purpose... from the big stuff to the tiny details. I could go on for pages listing all the Mac advantages, but I won't 'cause in the end it is a personal, near-religious decision. BMW or Kia, there's places for both.

Funny this came up today. I was in the MacStore today (my work is Apple, but my personal/home computer is PC) to buy a power cord. You know, the simply device that does nothing but transfer energy from the wall to your computer. Yeah, it costs $80. No, that's not a typo. $80.

I also heard the Mac Store guy talking to a customer about why Macs are better. He said that as of today, there are absolutely zero viruses/trojans that effect Macs. That there would likely be some eventually, but absolutely zero today. That is a bald faced lie.

Anyway, if you ever want to upgrade your systems - add more memory, or another hard drive, or get a better graphics card, then get a PC. If you want simple to use, get a Mac.

I think any question of reliability of crashes are really a ten year old misnomer. The PC OS is so much better now that I really don't see this as a distinction between the two - though I'm sure come of the Apple cultists will weigh in there.

Also, I think Outlook is a better calendaring system than the Apple product, so if you plan to use it a lot as a calendar/event planner, that a point.

But I have to admit that the Apple has a very easy to use interface and tools.

The Apple's are also much more expensive for the same level of gear/features - like 20% to 30%. So, depending on how much budget plays into it (remember the $80 power cord).

Either way, don't get an XPS type system. You pay way to much for the slightly-bleeding edge components. You're better off getting a good system and continuing to upgrade it.

Oh, and for the love of all that is good and holy, get a back-up drive. I just made the very stupid mistake of not having my back-up in place for a while and my HDD died (a risk on both formats, a friend just had her Apple HDD crash) . Now I'll be paying someone about $600 to retrieve picture of my daughter in a pumpkin costume. Spend the $50 for an extra drive.

Funny this came up today. I was in the MacStore today (my work is Apple, but my personal/home computer is PC) to buy a power cord. You know, the simply device that does nothing but transfer energy from the wall to your computer. Yeah, it costs $80. No, that's not a typo. $80.

You mean like the $65 replacement power adapter for a Dell XPS?

Ok, where do I start? Yes you can get a PC for $375.00. You can also get a Yugo for $375.00. Or you can pay a premium and get a Ferarri (or BMW). Which do you want? Apple has been innovating since the VERY beginning of the computer age. First commercial computer to use a mouse (yes, Xerox PARC was first, but it was not commercial). First computer to offer a GUI (well, technically the Lisa). First computer to offer a CD ROM. First computer to offer USB, Firewire, etc, etc, etc. We wouldn't have the POS that is Windows today if the Mac hadn't come along first. OSX is a FAR superior OS than anything Microsoft has ever put out or will ever put out. OSX is based on Unix so 99.99% of the back door security holes have been closed for 20 years now. How many security patches do Windows users have to download each month? I know that for awhile it was a few times a week. You want a peripheral to work, plug it in - no driver issues. On my mac there are no virus problems, heck I don't even think they make an anti-virus program for the mac. There is no adware, there is no spyware. I NEVER shut off my mac and I reboot about about once every 2-3 months whether it needs it or not. I think a lot of computer network people as well as computer technicians would be out of work if the world ran on macs instead of Windows. I could go on and on, but you get my drift. Yes I am a mac evangelist - have been for almost 25 years. I do not own any Apple stock and I work at the largest computer maker in the world, but I wouldn't own one if it was given to me. Not as long as it's running Windows anyway.

There is a reason why macs are steadily gaining market share while pc's are losing it. Do yourself a favor, before you buy anything, go down to the Apple Store in Washington Square. Then try and find that much excitement and buzz about any pc anywhere. The cost comparisons for equal systems are just about even now. Take a look at the imac and compare it with an equivelent pc. By the time you add a 21 (or 27) inch monitor to your pc you're about even in cost and you have a much more elegant machine.

I know I will be flamed by the mac haters out there, and that's ok. All I can say is that all you have to do is try a mac with an open mind, and you will see why so many people are switching.

Bought a MacBook Pro over the summer and still use my PC exclusively. I can navigate faster and easier on Windows. Plus my Netbook is lighter' date=' smaller and easier to take it around.[/quote']

I'll give you a hundred bucks for you're unused macbook pro. (whistle) Since you're not using it and all.....

I just got burned by Apple too many times.

My first Mac ran system 1 or 2, I believe. Bought a 20 meg hD, which was way to big. Jacked it up to 1 meg of ram and was able to run Pagemaker easily. Was able to use Mac BBS's to get tons of freeware. Could do things that PC's couldn't dream about. Used systems 3,4,5,6,7 in addition and kept getting faster machines up through Quadra. Partly into 7, Macs were crashing like Corvairs. They were trying to keep up with Windows speed and reliability went out the window (pun). They were junk. Mind you this is a machine that cost $2,500 in that era money ($5,000 now?) and PC's were 1/3 that price and could be more easily upgraded. (still another unreliable system but less expensive). After system 7 I vowed never to return to Mac's.

I will put my $375.00 laptop PC (on a big sale, which Mac wouldn't do). against any similarly priced Mac and we will see who bought the Yugo.

Best advice is to try them out and see which fits your needs. There are a lot of choices out there and just because one person likes or dislikes a system should not unduly influence you.

I'll put my i7 quad core Windows 7 machine up against any Mac on the market. And i will win.

Apple is a horrible company. I hate them with a passion.

LMAO

Reminder to myself:

Never discuss:

Mac vs Pc

Canon vs Nikon

Aquacontroller vs Reefkeeper

Vendor rants

Okay, can't help it. True story, I believe?

Bill Gates said that if Microsoft made cars they would go 2,000 mph and get 200 miles to a gallon of gas.

The President of GM (ironically) came back the next day and and replied that if Microsoft were building cars they would crash every week.

• Like 1

I'll put my i7 quad core Windows 7 machine up against any Mac on the market. And i will win.

The new 12 core Mac Pro disagrees with you. In fact, it is very amused (laugh)

Apple is a horrible company. I hate them with a passion.

All companies are horrible, it's what companies DO. What does that have to do with anything?

Okay, can't help it. True story, I believe?

Bill Gates said that if Microsoft made cars they would go 2,000 mph and get 200 miles to a gallon of gas.

The President of GM (ironically) came back the next day and and replied that if Microsoft were building cars they would crash every week.

LMAO!!!!! (clap)

I'm a PC guy.

Well you guys are no help at all!!!!!! I was confused before I posted...I wanted 50 responses all voting one over the other not a split decision (laugh)(scratch) HAHAHA.

You should throw up a poll...(whistle)

You sure like stirring up controversy don't you?:p

This forum likes to argue/debate about anything....