Wireless Router

racefan

If you have Comcast for an internet provider, they will give you one for FREE! Just go down to your local Comcast office and ask them for one, or call them and they will send you one. It's a Netgear, not sure of the model or specs, but it works great for my home network, which has both Macs and pc's plus Tivo, and best of all, did I mention it's FREE!!

• Like 1

If you have Comcast for an internet provider' date=' they will give you one for FREE! Just go down to your local Comcast office and ask them for one, or call them and they will send you one. It's a Netgear, not sure of the model or specs, but it works great for my home network, which has both Macs and pc's plus Tivo, and best of all, did I mention it's FREE!![/quote']

Really?? I'm in need of a new router right now as well. I guess I will have to go down and talk to them. I am currently running a Netgear I've had for a few years and it seems to drop off once in awhile.

I ended up going with a Linksys. My other one was a Linksys & it gave me years of good service. It was by FAR the easiest thing ever to set up, 1 desktop 3 laptops & a Wii took about 10 minutes total. Now I just have to figure out how to switch the setting from 2.4ghz to 5.0ghz.

http://homestore.cisco.com/en-us/Routers/Linksys-E2000-Advanced-Wirelessn-router_stcVVproductId97826161VVcatId551966VVviewprod.htm

Really?? I'm in need of a new router right now as well. I guess I will have to go down and talk to them. I am currently running a Netgear I've had for a few years and it seems to drop off once in awhile.

Yup. I was having problems with my home network so I called Comcast to see if it was their fault and they traced it to my 9 year old Netgear router. They told me to just go down to the local Comcast office and pick up a brand new one.

Netgear and win 7 is great for me. SOOOO much better than my linksy. I go thru one about every 9 months and I have very clean power! I run 4 systems here with win 7 (64 bit) and never had an issue. I have the MSDN license from Microsoft so I have tried various flavors of win 7 with no issues.

I used to love Linksys, but once Cisco bought them and setup them up as their low-cost "home" brand their quality dropped like a rock. My current router/WAP is an Apple Airport Extreme (yes, yes I know Apple-haters... I know..) It was a bit more expensive, but the thing works like a champ. You get what you pay for.

Pretty much anything listed is better than Trend Micro though....that stuff is so cheap it can't afford to work.

Truer words never spoken. Trend stuff is so crappy that even flies say, "Man, that smells like ****..."

I go thru one about every 9 months and I have very clean power!

?!?! You do know you're not supposed to stick them in the dishwasher, right?

I have had Linksys, Dlink, and Netgear routers (work and home) and never had major problems with any of them. Have just replaced them for higher specs (larger working radius, faster throughput, etc.). Have to reboot them occasionally, but otherwise no problems at all. Multiple years on each router. Apparently, YMMV.

I am no computer nerd, but we had a Linksys and kept having to reboot it almost daily. As soon as we got the Netgear router from Comcast, all of that stopped and it has worked flawlessly since we hooked it up. I have a Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop, the wife has a new Mac Pro laptop and an older Windows xp laptop. Along with the PS3, and the Wii. They all work better than they did with the Linksys

I am actually a computer tech and all I recommend is linksys . They are by far the easiest to setup for the end user. Never had any problems with one. Avoid netgear if using windows 7. They plain suck.....

+1 , linksys has worked flawlessly for me.

We run the net, 2 xbox 360's and stream to our TV, never had any problems.

::knocks on wood::

Why? Less than a minute to reboot a few times a year is a pretty minor inconvenience' date=' IMO. If everything in my life worked that well, I'd be a happy fellow.[/quote']

Do you have to reboot your modem as well? whenever I had problems connecting it was because the cable company peice of carp modem was acting up and not recognizing the router. It was not the routers problem.

Why? Less than a minute to reboot a few times a year is a pretty minor inconvenience' date=' IMO. If everything in my life worked that well, I'd be a happy fellow.[/quote']

I want my phone to ring every time someone calls me. I want my car to start every time I turn the key. I want my ballast to fire every time the ACjr tells it to. It just boils down to the fact that I like to have quality stuff that works right. Why not just buy a router that works right? It's not that complicated.

I want my phone to ring every time someone calls me. I want my car to start every time I turn the key. I want my ballast to fire every time the ACjr tells it to. It just boils down to the fact that I like to have quality stuff that works right. Why not just buy a router that works right? It's not that complicated.

Well, my guess is that you spend more than a few minutes each year maintaining your car, ensuring that it will start up when you turn the key. I spend more than that every week filling the tank.

I understand your point, but to be honest, I have not ever had a wireless router that did not have the same issue, and my friends have all had similar issues. I was not aware of any routers that did not need to be rebooted from time to time. I have never used the Apple router, but would not pay 50% more for it simply based on the rebooting issue with other routers. Just not that big of a deal to me. Have you also had other reliability or usability issues with the other brands?

Re: Wireless Router

There is a good reason comcast moved away from linksys. Netgear just works better

Rofl....ha ha ha....wait....your serious?

Really linksys did dip down a bit since cisco....but netgear is still economy line just like trend micro

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk