Outing Your Inner Nerd Contest!

Algae

Oh you do yourself such a disservice, Alessandro. You have so much more potential. My "Nerdar" was pinging on you like JFK air traffic control.

Ok... outing...

I'm a "Happy Days" fans. I wanted Henry Winkler to officiate my wedding.

I almost killed myself when I knew he was german by origins and not italian.

I didn't commit suicide because the same night it was broadcasted an episode of Family Guy where Peter wants to start the "Church of Fonz".

You are not alone Alessandro, you are not alone...

I guess Ill ring in. Ive been a big game and electronics geek. Ive seen more bad sci-fi movies than Id like to admit. I still play star wars and D&D when I'm in portland when I can. I figured out how to install a 15" computer touch screen in the dash of a car and a computer that turned on and off with the car just because I could. Used it mostly to play music but I think the NES emulator got the most use. I own 2 lightsabers. And I dont mean the cheap collapsible ones. I also gave one to our best man at our wedding as a gift. I know there's tons more, but dont really want to admit anything else.

*Ahem*

Well....since you asked...

Picture it...Washington D.C, 1998. The Internet bubble is starting to take off, computers are becoming mainstream and every competitive college decides they need to have a "computer lab".

*Initiate Dream Sequence*

So there I was, fresh out of high school, having spent WAAY too much time reading about and messing with this nifty new operating system called Linux. Luckily (or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), my college of choice had decided to set up a computer lab using this newfangled thing called Linux to save money.

Security was not a consideration, mainly because no one knew how to use the system. On the entire campus, there were maybe 5 people who knew Linux fluently. Myself and my roommate were 2 of them. My professor was not among them. We quickly realized this and began to use this knowledge to "spice up" boring lecture days.

Computers back then rarely had external speakers, but they all had internal system speakers that were used to debug issues if your monitor wasn't working. For example, it might beep once every 5 seconds if a stick of RAM was loose. Linux also had the fun feature of being able to trigger the system beep with a simple command and duration. Armed with this knowledge, along with the fact that we could send commands to any console in the lab, we hatched a fun plan.

We created a script that basically looked like this:

SEND ComputerALL EXEC LockScreen

SEND Computer1 EXEC Beep1 DURATION 5sec

SEND Computer2 EXEC Beep2 DURATION 2sec

etc, etc.

Just before our (extremely pointless) mid-term, we executed the script...

"Hey! My screen just locked up!...Mine too!"

*The first long beep*

"What the heck..."

*Beeep Beep Beep BEEP..*

For the next 2 minutes, the computer lab was alive with the glorious sound of computers beeping out the Super Mario Brothers theme song..

And for those of you who don't find this nerdy, do you have any idea how long it takes to figure out the duration of system beeps over 15 networked consoles to sync up to the Mario Bros theme song?

We also aced the mid-term (rock2)

Well this has nothing to do with me since I'm not a nerd just like Kim.....

But my wife's little brother who is 26 has a collection of "action figures" from the WCW, WWF, WWE (I think I got all of them right). I have known him now for a little over 10 years and to this date even if he is hard up for cash he won't sell them. I keep telling him he has to stop with the dolls in his room but he won't let them go. He still goes to all of the events in town buying front row seats (I guess they give those seats away if you buy them as well so he has a few chairs from the events too). He has two walls in his room full of all of the "action figures" still in the original boxes from floor to ceiling. I've been meaning to get pictures of it but I think he'd be even more pissed....

Having one or two is no big deal but when the obsesion becomes that large...........

And his girlfriends are all into the fake wrestling thing too which is wierder yet. Good looking girls that have a crazy obsesion... Oh well each to their own.

• 4 weeks later...
So Algae, win are you going to pick a winner?

I would think that someone who has the DNA molecule tattooed on their forearm should be the winner...(whistle) It kinda looks like this and it is not me or Beth by the way....(laugh)

DNA.jpg

Who has that tattoo!I won't tell anyone.

The winner is our newest paid member Vicarious Cynic! I feel that he hasn't fully emerged from his nerd closet, as most of us have. When he does admit it to us and his family I am fully confident that he will be both glorious and resplendently fabulous in his new found freedom!

• Like 1

Who has that tattoo!I won't tell anyone.

The winner is our newest paid member Vicarious Cynic! I feel that he hasn't fully emerged from his nerd closet, as most of us have. When he does admit it to us and his family I am fully confident that he will be both glorious and resplendently fabulous in his new found freedom!

I will not tell who has said tattoo. You will just have to look at everyone's forearms you meet from this forum and hope they are not wearing long sleeves because that can get awkward...(laugh)

Was that your candy apple red firebird outside Mile's house Saturday? I had an 87 the same color red but sold that years ago when I grew up...(whistle)

I feel this contest was rigged and biased as you picked someone who is a paid member and from Eugene. (wife) Portland has its fair share of awesome nerds.

Of course it was rigged! I'm running it.

The depth of nerdom in this club is inspiring and frightening.

Thanks everyone!

It was close with Alex's strange, erotic fascination with "The Fonz". But, in the end, he weirded me out too much (and that is saying a lot). His repugnant obsession gave me unrelenting breathless, night sweats.

Of course it was rigged! I'm running it.

The depth of nerdom in this club is inspiring and frightening.

Thanks everyone!

It was close with Alex's strange, erotic fascination with "The Fonz". But, in the end, he weirded me out too much (and that is saying a lot). His repugnant obsession gave me unrelenting breathless, night sweats.

I know I actually felt "cool" for a change...(laugh)

I can understand Alex's strange fascination with "the Fonz" over yours with Tom Cruise. A guy who can snap his fingers and girls come running and can make a jukebox work by hitting it is far better than a dude known more for singing in tighty whities and jumping up and down on Oprah's couch!

There were times in this thread I knew not what people were talking about..(laugh)

The sports game was purchased used a couple summers ago when my nephew stayed with us during the summer. It was a real stretch to let him touch the xbox. Just to make sure I've covered my bases I pre-ordered Fable 3. Most of my gaming was done pre-tank. Maybe I should I mount a flatscreen above the aquarium! And Kim - you're the one who constantly mentioned the benefits of joining (ohhh that cool banner!) now you're flashing the rolling pin? Nerd.

Algae! Sweet! See you Wednesday - thanks!