TFT question

Lowman

In talking with Roger today it seems that interest in the TFT program has waned a lot in the past few months. I am curious if there is a future for the program. Where are the donations coming from now? Some members said that they would be glad to donate cash if asked, yet has that come to fruition? Roger has offered many frags to the teachers with tanks and none seem to want the frags. With the raffle for the girl on R2R, it seems we have forgotten our pet charity. It would be a pity to see this program die. The members and sponsors who have generously donated time and corals, and other things to make the program work are not getting their money's worth.

I have to wonder many things. It appears that Radger is saying that teacher don't want frags, could that be summer or is it a different wish list they would like?

Is it a program teachers are interested in,or know about? I think that more/current updates from the teachers involved would give the club something to follow and feel pride in. I think programs like TFT have great value but only if they want it.

Beckie

In talking with Roger today it seems that interest in the TFT program has waned a lot in the past few months. I am curious if there is a future for the program. Where are the donations coming from now? Some members said that they would be glad to donate cash if asked' date=' yet has that come to fruition? Roger has offered many frags to the teachers with tanks and none seem to want the frags. With the raffle for the girl on R2R, it seems we have forgotten our pet charity. It would be a pity to see this program die. The members and sponsors who have generously donated time and corals, and other things to make the program work are not getting their money's worth.[/quote']

Actually Lowman, after the R2R raffle, somebody (I think Eric) asked what about doing something locally which I thought was a great idea for charity. I started thinking wouldn't it be fun to touch base with one of the schools and get together a group to help set up a tank and keep doing this on a routine basis.

So after the raffle is over I was thinking about contacting Roger about this.

Right now it being summer people are out of town, teachers are off so I am not surprised the interest has waned.

Personally, I think the club should sponsor a couple of tanks placed strategically in areas of town. Like OMSI or one of the colleges. And a LARGE tank in Newport at the Hatfield Science Center. Then we could use some of the stuff that Rgoer has been collecting for the TFT program in those tanks.

Personally' date=' I think the club should sponsor a couple of tanks placed strategically in areas of town. Like OMSI or one of the colleges. And a LARGE tank in Newport at the Hatfield Science Center. Then we could use some of the stuff that Rgoer has been collecting for the TFT program in those tanks.[/quote']

That' wouldn't be Tanks for teachers anymore... Why not help get them started in other schools and get children excited about the saltwater hobby? By the way, what happens to the tanks in the summer time..

Interest waned long before summer started.

Oh Lowman you're so negative...(nono) I saw a few threads when I started about Roger's tanks as well as Ms. S.

I realize that it is not TFT if it is at another location, I probably should have posted that in another place. Sow how should Roger get the word out that he has all of this livestock that has been donated? I think that he should give it to the club to raffle at a meeting. This serves 2 purposes. It will clear his tanks for more donations, and give the program more assets to purchase drygoods that are needed, Like salt, and test kits.

Well hello everyone. I am pleased to see people talking about the TFT program. Beth/Kim I don't know about other teachers but I drive to school about 2 times a week to check my tanks out. I am hurting for space in my tanks and would really like to hold monthly raffles and use the money for salt and supplies. The last time I asked for teachers to contact me for free stuff I only got one response. I realize it is the summer and most teachers probably don't have there tanks set up so I figure any day now TFT members will be contacting me for stuff. I have clown fish and lots of softies I can donate to teachers. The problem I see is that the turn around from application to actually receiving the tanks is a bit slow. I also think we could come up with a better system then donating an aquapod. I would be interested to see the cost difference between an aquapod and a set up with a tank and Prizm skimmer or something like it, lights, etc. Just my thoughts. I like Bob's idea about OMSI or Hatfield on the condition that there would be an attached note saying that if teachers contact PNWMAS they can qualify for a tank in their classroom. I think when you mention free teachers will jump all over it but we need to advertise. Thanks for the interest.

I just wanted to chime and and suggest looking into some on Portland's "alternative" schools. Schools like Sunnyside or Greenthumb focus on alternative approaches to learning to motivate students- these might be great school options for tanks!