Almost every night in my basement, I commit murder.

ToxicPoison

I won't lie to you, either. I rather enjoy it.

I take a syringe full of acid, gently spray it in their face and they greedily slurp it down, thinking it's food...then comes the moment of realization. When they recoil in horror, realizing what just happened. They shrivel up, turn black and die.

And I laugh. I do. I enjoy it immensely, knowing they are gone and will never bother me again. It gives me a deep, satisfying happiness, watching them waste away...

Look, I know what you're thinking. You're sitting there, judging me, asking yourself, "How could he do something like this? How could anyone be so cruel?!"

Well I'd simply respond, "You don't UNDERSTAND!". I tried...truly I did. I try taking the "nice" route...getting rid of them in "acceptable" ways.

But they wouldn't leave.

They wouldn't stay away.

Sure, they'd disappear for a while...probably hidden in the shadows, biding their time.

Sooner or later though, they'd come back.

They always did.

I tried ignoring them, enclosing them in darkness 24/7, hoping they'd lose the will to live.

But they are pure evil. And evil does not die easily.

So ENOUGH! I said. They pushed me to the edge. I snapped, and tumbled over it...into the abyss of madness.

And so it came down to the syringe, and the acid, and the silence.

They're not gone yet. Oh no, not quite yet. They won't go quite that easily, but they're learning. There is consistently less of them...and smaller. Possibly not so wise as their older brethren, but that matters not to me. They too, must be destroyed....

I make no apologies for my actions, and I have no regret.

I did what had to be done. Anyone would do the same, faced with their seemingly never-ending onslaught.

They had to be executed.

I am the executioner.

Now, as I slip down the stairs, anxiously anticipating the demise of my next victims, I leave you with this final comment:

I really, really, really hate Aiptasia.

• Like 1

Ya watching them implode is satisfying but to see them return is a bummer-I had to resort to Peppermint shrimp and those suckers ate everyone in 2 days.

I had a large one by my maxima that they did not find, I moved the clam one evening and the next day I looked and the Apasia was was gone-(laugh)

Not sure what your "acid" is but Aptasia X doesn't kill em they return in about 6-8 weeks

Anyway enjoy your killing spree-;)

Joe's did the job for me. And boiling the worst pieces of LR ;)

I also have 2 peppermint, but they are desaparecidos

For those of you who don't understand Italian. Babylon says this means disappeared.(laugh)

Entertaining thread by the way...(clap)

Aiptasia really don't bother me that much.. Sure they can sting your favorite coral but so does the anemone that I don't have the heart to remove from the reef because the clowns love it.

Nice thing is you can see them with the naked eye, they don't roam around and if you leave them alone or treat them out of the tank they don't overgrow the tank. Peppermint shrimps did a wonderful job on the ones in the solana.

What I hate is monti eating nudibranchs (flame)

Wow, glad this was so well received...

So, just a few clarifications:

The aiptasia was introduced to my well-established refugium on a bad piece of Chaeto (Why oh Why didn't I do a freshwater dip first?! DOH! ). The refugium is filled with about 75lbs of reef rubble and a 5" deep sandbed. So, "washing" the rock wouldn't have worked, and probably would have led to another cycle.

I tried joes juice, Aiptasia X, boiling water, lemon juice and all the other "nice" things. They were all not so great, as I mentioned.

I decided to bite the bullet and use a 10% solution of Muriatic acid (OMG!!!). I fill a shotglass with it, use a 2mL syringe to deliver it to the aiptasia and that's it. It's quite a small amount and doesn't seem to have a negative effect on the main tank.

I still have some MASSIVE aiptasia in my overflow(5" long and like a 2" diameter mouth)...Think im going to attack them with a day-long freshwater dip this weekend. I can't reach them with the syringe.

Nice thing is you can see them with the naked eye' date=' they don't roam around and if you leave them alone or treat them out of the tank they don't overgrow the tank. [/quote']

They can overgrow the tank. Oh believe me, they can. There is nothing nice about Aiptasia. Do not argue with me on this. You WILL lose. ;)

Get a Klein's butterfly fish and you'll never have to commit murder again...

Oh, I believe...just looking for a LFS that has one in stock...any tips?

Ya watching them implode is satisfying but to see them return is a bummer-I had to resort to Peppermint shrimp and those suckers ate everyone in 2 days.

The pepermint shrimp I have could care less about the aiptasia. I seem to have some in the main tank, but not nearly as bad as the refugium was.

That was as good as a dean koonz novel. [/Quote]

Is that supposed to be an insult or compliment? ;)

I feel the same way about mojano's....I am going to killing spree tonight as a matter of fact....got my "tools" and all ready.....just waiting for the opportune moment to strike.

Enjoy Eric!

Just try not to disturb your neighbors with your loud cackles of glee as they melt away...not that I know anything about that... (whistle)

Was not suppose to be a insult. I actually noticed 2 pieces today in a frag of DW zoas I bought. Time to frag those up so I can get rid of that. I hate adding any chemicals to my tank unless its the normal stuff that it needs to stay balanced. So it looks like its cutting time for me.

Re: Almost every night in my basement, I commit murder.

Here we go with the Klines conversation again....you should ask Frank how his experience went....last I heard (and this could be wrong) was that it was nipping at his corals....what I was told when researching Klines is they WILL eat aptasia....after they are done with your coral....seems butterfly's in general follow this route.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Was not suppose to be a insult. I actually noticed 2 pieces today in a frag of DW zoas I bought. Time to frag those up so I can get rid of that. I hate adding any chemicals to my tank unless its the normal stuff that it needs to stay balanced. So it looks like its cutting time for me.

I was just joking, don't take anything I say too seriously ;)

I 100% agree with you about adding chemicals. My hand was forced though. Nothing else I was trying worked.

I really need to get a picture of the giant aiptasia in my overflow so you guys understand what I'm dealing with here...

It's aiptasia on steroids..