10 gallon puffer tank

NoobtoSalt

So I decided to go ahead and setup a tank for my wife since she's be bugging me about having a puffer. I'm pretty sure what I got today was a pea puffer but I also got a tiny blue hippo tang. The tang doesn't seem to be doing so well in the 10 gallon tank but the one in my son's tank seems to be doing good so we will see. (Yes I realize that this is too small of a tank for the tang to grow up in later on down the road if the fish makes it, it will either be transfered to my larger tank or sold)

I will post pictures in the morning but this tank won't be anything too special. No corals just a FOWLR for the time being.

Jesse, my advice would be to put the hippo tang in a larger tank now. We put the first 2 in a quarantine tank that size and it just stressed them out so much even with live rock in there that they didn't do well. Hippo tangs are pretty shy.

The tank raised clowns did great but not the tangs.

The fat ones you saw in our tank today were that small when we got them.

Re: 10 gallon puffer tank

For tangs' date=' it is not about the size of the tank vs the size of the fish, it's that they need a certain horizontal swimming space, regardless of fish size. You want at least 4" long or they get really stressed out.[/quote']

That's what they say....of course there are some who have tangs in smaller tanks without issue....like myself....I have not one but 2 tangs in a tank with 24 " of swim space no matter how you look at it....for over a year I have been hearing that I will have issues....I am sure at some point something will happen to support those claims....but so far....no problems, fish seem happy, eat well....no ich, no stress, go figure. Heard the same thing when I added a trigger....so I added 2 more to give a total of 3 and never had an issue

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Like I said before nothing special but here it is.

The tang appears to be doing better this morning but it was either beat up by the puffer or it was like that when I got him. I couldn't tell yesterday when I put it in the tank. Not used to having such small fish...LOL

The puffer has been swimming like crazy so it's a little tough to take a picture with a point and shoot.

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

I used to have one of those. They are absolute pigs. mine would eat an entire mysis cube by itself and puff up just to fit it all in its belly. be carefull they have very sharp teeth and will draw blood if you let them. Also you need to feed them snails, clams or something with a hard shell so they can wear down their teeth. They will also eat shrimp and crabs.

I used to have one of those. They are absolute pigs. mine would eat an entire mysis cube by itself and puff up just to fit it all in its belly. be carefull they have very sharp teeth and will draw blood if you let them. Also you need to feed them snails' date=' clams or something with a hard shell so they can wear down their teeth. They will also eat shrimp and crabs.[/quote']

Yeah no clean up crew for this tank. although once in awhile I will probably throw in some of the bristle worms to help with the clean up of everything else in the tank. I'm also going to get some more copepods to help. I was thinking more on the lines of getting a toby puffer but my wife really wanted this one.

Snails I figured I would just grab some out of the tanks at my work once in awhile.

RIP little blue hippo tang....

Just got back from the beach and was looking for it in the tank and found it dead under a rock...

Guess it really will be the puffer tank now. I will give it a week and see what else my wife wants but I don't think I'm going with another blue hippo for this one.

looks like the puffer took a bite out of his tail. I would be very careful when selecting tank mates.

The fish was already beat up when I got it. It looked to have a fungus of some sort. I also lost the one in my sons tank. Their cute but that was a waste of $30...

The fish was already beat up when I got it. It looked to have a fungus of some sort. I also lost the one in my sons tank. Their cute but that was a waste of $30...

That sucks!!! I have been told by store owners before that they do not sell them that small because they usually don't last long.

Nick is taking care of it for me. Rosecity is my new shop of choice. I do shop others but he's taken care of me so I would recomend him in a heartbeat.

Cool (clap) I really like Nick too. Did you see those LA lackers he has in his Zoa frag tank really nice!!!!!

• 1 month later...

So I just did some random research on Reef Central and found out that my "little" puffer is going to get up to 6.5"!!!

Now I understand why nothing else is alive in this tank with it.

So this puffer tank might be short lived. My wife would not be happy to find out that I have to setup a larger tank for her little puffer. Requirements are about 30-40 gallons for this little guy.

• 1 month later...