LED light panel??

tanktop74

I keep going back and forth wondering if I should buy one of these cheap LED panels off of ebay since I wont need the crazy output that a DIY Cree LED setup would give. Or if I should just make my own with the Crees and just space the LEDs more liberally than what would be needed for a standard reef. It might be worth a shot for $25 ish shipped. Especially with just macros under it, couldn't be any worse or cost more then going with a T5 setup or a florescent setup.

I'm trying to light a tank that is only 12 inches deep and will only have temperate macro algaes in it from the Oregon coast, almost all from tidepools. Think one of these lights would do the job? I'm mostly concerned with having a broad spectrum light since the algae will be coming from less than 12 inches of water on average.

What do you think?

What worries me is that you mentioned tide pool organisms. I know i am a bit closer to the equator than you are, but you would be surprised what PAR levels the sun puts out.

There was an old report done on the Waikiki Aquarium outdoor tank. All readings were taken at 24" of depth. (A lot deeper than your average tide pool)

Mid day this tank peaks at just over 2500 PAR! Even at noon when the tank is shaded by a large palm tree the tank runs around 750 PAR.

(source: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/feature.htm)

Lets say your sun puts out half that... You will be pulling algae from a 1250 PAR range and putting them into a 50-60 PAR range. We will never put out PAR numbers like the sun... I think your algae will have a tough time with the acclimation. I do collect zoas from these 2500 PAR waters and acclimate them fine in 350 -500 range, but i know they would be hurting under even 100 PAR.

Check out www.reefledlights.com This is where i just bout my set-up for my 6 foot tank.

Kevin

The crazy thing is that the algae that I collected on my first trip about a month ago is growing in the main display tank with only ambient sun light from a side window in my garage. I'll have to see if anyone has ever gathered similar information on par levels here in oregon.

I figured I would give it a shot and worse case scenario I am out $30 and some macro algae, and I just make it a non-photosynthetic tank with smaller inhabitants.

• 2 months later...

Old post but I'm working on changing my 300 gallon to all LED now.

Just purchased a Ecoray 60D, pretty impressive little unit.

Pros, pretty bright, its much more directional than some of the other LED units out. I think thats why its so much brighter. Its easily 2x as bright as my 250W DE halides, its just you need two of them to cover roughly the same area. The blues when they come on before the whites are pretty impressive.

Cons, your going to need quite a few. Really Ill be able to get away with 7 of them total. 8 would probably be more ideal but 7 is going to work out fine. Only reason I have to go with so many is to get the same coverage. My tanks 8' long though but the overflows are on each end. Gotta save up my pennies so I can get the rest of them. For now I'm going to run just the 1 I have.

Zero heat too. Big benefit.

Left side is where the LED is, the rest is lit right now with 2 250W DE Phoenix 14k's. Its quite a bit brighter on the left side where the LED's are.

Sorry for the Dirty tank, looks pretty dim but its sunny here and pretty bright. I set the camera pretty close to what it actually looks like right now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9105&stc=1&d=1286931276

Closer view of right where the LED is. Ill get a picture later tonight with just the blues on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9104&stc=1&d=1286931297

post-180-141867757672_thumb.jpg

post-180-141867757676_thumb.jpg