LED light panel??

tanktop74

I am looking at this LED panel on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220570911333&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I am thinking of putting it over my 14 gal nano.

My questions are:

1. would this be enough light to sufficiently grow corals?

2. how would you hang this??? The guy really doesn't give a nice picture of the top of the light.

Ok guys send me your input!!

Thanks

Beth

• Like 1

Re: LED light panel??

Funny, I just got a used one and looked at getting this exact same one....but the other one for $99.99 seems much more realistic. This one you list is for "plant" look at the $99.99 it states coral. I will shoot the link if you can't find it....its on my computer

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Re: LED light panel??

I am considering the later one currently. I know a couple members here such as Vanz have built LED fixtures. You are welcome to this one for free if you wanna try and fix it....might be worth it....might not....but its free to try

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I looked in to LED lighting a while back, and most people seem to question the 1w LED's, most seem to say for any good PAR you need like 3w LED's, and that the 1w LED's just don't put out enough PAR to do anything.

There was a LED fixture I almost pulled the trigger on called Maxspect LED's, from Asia, They seemed pretty nice...The problem here in the states I think if I remember correctly that there is like a monoply on american made LED's its patented or something, and that is why LED's have not taken off here in the United States, and those couple of companies that do make them, sell them for BIG $$$....but overseas they are making all kings of LED lighting for Reef Tanks, but they can't sell them here in the United States, you have to order them online and have them shipped from overseas....

I have never even tried LED lighting before, but most of the cheap LED lighting are 1w LED's....and I don't think that is enough PAR to grow corals....I think 3w is what people say is the min...but I could be wrong on all fo this...:p

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220570911333&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

My questions are:

2. how would you hang this??? The guy really doesn't give a nice picture of the top of the light.

Thanks

Beth

oh the top of the light is just press board, yep.. cheap

No bueno...

As for the 1w, there are some good feedbacks from a fixture named BSLED. It is produced in China. Some guy got it through direct contact in China (alibaba).

Calvin from NR just got 5 units for his 12 footer and the par readings are great for the price, so is the color:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=154877&st=1320

A log thread about them on the RTAW:

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=209183

In your case (14g) you should go for the 90w.

http://bsled.com/led-grow-lights/bs-56-90w-square-led-grow-lights

I'm interested too and I'm probably gonna get the 120W for my 40b.

I have the company on my Skype and I'm gonna request a quote. I know some people were paying about $200 for the 120W direct from the company. If somebody is interested just let me know.

Also on

I am interested. Please let me know. I don't know if 90w is enough though is it...for SPS' date=' LPS, and such?[/quote']

Depend on your tank size, not in gallons, but the area you are gonna cover.

Also you should consider how deep is your tank and the livestock positioning.

If you want to figure out how many leds or watts you need, you have to figure you need to space the leds apart about 2-4 inches over the entire tank for good coverage. And if your take is deeper than 15-18" you're probably going to want some optics. People are getting good results with the 3w CREES as did I. I woulndt even bother with the 1w leds or 1 w led fixtures. My led light was over a 20" cube and I had 39 leds. Pretty much had 5 rows of 8. Coverage seemed right on. So that was 117 watts for a 25 gallon tank (20x20x15). I wouldnt go with any less for a tank that size.

My questions are:

Thanks

Beth

Hey Beth,

That would be a waste of money, unless you're looking for a nice big moonlight fixture. Even the softies would have a hard time with that light... 13.8W over 225 LEDs is way worse than a PC fixture from what I understand. There was a thread on NR about this or a similar fixture, and it sounds like the light *might* be able to grow algae but not much else... probably not optimal for your frag tank!!

As for hanging it, you can mount LED fixtures pretty easily by drilling & tapping into them. I just finished drilling and tapping the heatsink for my pico yesterday (which mean the soldering fun begins today!!). Anyway, it's super easy and the most secure way to go.

ALSO, if you're feeling crafty, build your own fixture. It's a fun project, and then you can make it however you want (B:W ratio, dimmability, etc).

Whether you buy or build, stick with higher wattage LEDs.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No I have yet to get around to looking into this.

Kendaroo recently did hers, you might ask her for some comparison... I would not be a good cost comparison person anyway, we have 4 tanks running, I doubt going from compact fluoresents to led's will make a noticable impact on our electricity bill.

Beth

I have PAR numbers for these fixtures... I'll have to get them for you. Give me a few minutes.

Don't waste your money. I bought them to test as I couldn't find anybody that had.

If they were sufficient, I was going to line 12 of them over my tank. I have 96 Cree XP-Es arriving Monday instead.

Kevin

I have PAR numbers for these fixtures... I'll have to get them for you. Give me a few minutes.

Don't waste your money. I bought them to test as I couldn't find anybody that had.

If they were sufficient, I was going to line 12 of them over my tank. I have 96 Cree XP-Es arriving Monday instead.

Kevin

Sorry, my numbers are from the original poster's link. Not the recent panels you are all talking about.

All Blue:

Surface: 180-200

7 Inches: 100

15 Inches: 80

White & Blue:

Surface: 120-150

7 Inches: 80

15 Inches: 60

LED01.jpg

LED02.jpg

Blue/White:

LED03.jpg

LED04.jpg

All Blue:

LED05.jpg

LED06.jpg

I set up the camera on the tripod and started to compare. Same settings through out. I compared the two panels to a single ATI Blue+ 24" T5 bulb (not overdriven).

The T5 is first, Keep in mind it is 24" long and the panels are only 12".

LED07_T5.jpg

All Blue:

LED08_AB.jpg

Blue/White:

LED09_BW.jpg

I'm trying to light a tank that is only 12 inches deep and will only have temperate macro algaes in it from the Oregon coast, almost all from tidepools. Think one of these lights would do the job? I'm mostly concerned with having a broad spectrum light since the algae will be coming from less than 12 inches of water on average.

What do you think?