10 gallon puffer tank

NoobtoSalt

So I haven't set this tank up yet but my wife has been bugging me the past few weeks about wanting a small puffer since she saw one at a LFS. So that being said this thread will have some pictures when I get it all set up but I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on what type of puffer? Fresh or Salt? I've never ran a brachish (I think that's how you spell it) tank and wasn't sure what the salinty should be etc. maybe I should just stick with salt..

I may have just answered my own question typing this but still wouldn't mind some help. I just saw that Gill had some small puffers in a tank and that's probably what she wants as well. So any help would be great!

My gf liked puffers so I got her an amazon puffer.. it's freshwater.. very easy to keep. Just feed it sinking pellets and put snails in the tank a few times a month for it's teeth. Also they are small I had it in a 5 gallon.

2316_amazon_puffer.jpg

Did you have to add any salt supplement to the water at all?

I'm looking for low maintence on it. I might even get a couple if they don't get too big. Not sure if that's a good thing to have 2 in a tank or not.

No salt required :D and yes you can have 2-3 together. The Wet Spot in portland has a display with like 3 in it. They loved live plants but don't need them. And very low maintenance. But if you want salt then get the green spotter puffers. It's a brackish but will handle saltwater... which actually Rose City Aquarium all ready has these guys in there saltwater tanks.. saw them in there last week

Pea Puffers (Dwarf Puffers) are fine in full freshwater. You want to get at least 5-6 because they are pretty aggressive, and if you have just 2 or 3 you will eventually end up with just one. My recommendation would be to get a Figure-8 puffer. They live in brackish water (1.010-1.017 salinity, but they don't mind fluctuations) and get about 4-6" long full grown. I kept one in a 10g tank for 6 years. With puffers (toby puffers excluded) you don't want to get more than one. They are very aggressive. When you look at a tank full of puffers in a LFS, look at their tail and pectoral fins - Most will be missing a LOT of fin.