Aquactinics T5 5 bulb fixtures

superjohnny

Anyone have any experience with these? This will be for my 72g.

My questions are:

* Do I need the mounting legs to bring them above the aquarium?

* What bulb combo I should go with?

* Should I pick up the bulbs locally or order them with the fixture? (5 bulbs add ~$12 to the cost of shipping.)

Bulbs cost:

For the Deltec Giesemann lamps:

$18.50 for 6500k,

$21.50 for Aquablue+,

$21.50 for Actinic+,

$25.50 for pure actinic

For UV (URI) lamps:

10k $21.95

12k $21.95

Super actinic $21.95

Prices are from Aquarium Specialty.com where they have the fixture.

I'm on page 12 of the lighting forum @ RC and still haven't run across it yet. I think I'll go ahead and pull the trigger. I just need to figure out which bulb combo to go with. Seems like a really popular question and just a matter of taste. Without seeing the different combo's it's tough to make a decision though...

I like the fan idea. And 6 bulbs is probably too much, 4 too little. Seems like they've got a good thing going with these fixtures. The tank will house mostly LPS & softies BTW. I'm just not into SPS... colored sticks to my ignorant eyes.

I think 4 bulb for softies for most tank layouts would be fine for your livestock. Unless your planning on doing some heavy light clams. but do 1/2 and 1/2 on the blue+ and actinic + is a nice combo and if you go with 5 bulb add in a pure actinic to spice up those softy colors. but just an opinion.

I've got a 4-bulb fixture over my 40 gallon (16 or 18 inches deep). I'm growing a couple colored sticks, softies but I haven't tried a clam.

This link shows my bulb selection and a photo of the results... http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic26...light=dchemist

The light is a Tek- 36" with 4 bulbs. I have 2 aquablues, 1 actinic plus and 1 pure actinic. I think its too blue, but I've gotten used to it.

eeGods that was $$$

I ordered

1 x Actinic+ 48" 54 Watt $21.50 1 x Midday 48" 54 Watt $18.50 3 x Aqua Blue+ 48" 54 watt $64.50 1 x 54W Super Actinic T5 $21.95 1 x Aquactinics T5 48" Fixture $280.00Sub-Total: $406.45 FedEx Express (FedEx Home Delivery®): $52.00 Total: $458.45

I got 3 of the Aqua Blue's so I can switch with the 6500k bulb if it's too white or vice versa.

That's a heck of a lot of money for an aquarium with no fish. I wish I'd have seen Patrick's sale on Yellow Tangs... that would have been a good pick up.

eeGods that was $$$

I ordered

1 x Actinic+ 48" 54 Watt $21.50 1 x Midday 48" 54 Watt $18.50 3 x Aqua Blue+ 48" 54 watt $64.50 1 x 54W Super Actinic T5 $21.95 1 x Aquactinics T5 48" Fixture $280.00Sub-Total: $406.45 FedEx Express (FedEx Home Delivery®): $52.00 Total: $458.45

I got 3 of the Aqua Blue's so I can switch with the 6500k bulb if it's too white or vice versa.

That's a heck of a lot of money for an aquarium with no fish. I wish I'd have seen Patrick's sale on Yellow Tangs... that would have been a good pick up.

Did you check Marine Depot? Free delivery with certain amount of bulbs ordered and they also list free for orders over $175 which you've definately blown the lid off the minimum :) :(