Digital Camera

nu2reef-n

It really depends on what you want to use the camera for. Megapixels are good, but mainly come into play with how large of pictures you want to take.

1280 x 960 pixels = 1 Megapixel

1600 x 1200 pixels = 2 Megapixels

2048 x 1536 pixels = 3 Megapixels

2272 x 1704 pixels = 4 Megapixels

2560 x 1920 pixels = 5 Megapixels and up

So unless you want to print out your photos poster sized, you don't need a ton of MP. I have a 5.1 and it's plenty for me and what I do. I also completely disregard digital zoom. Optical zoom is what you're after. Digital degrades the picture quality.

And of course, do you want a "point and shoot" camera, an intermediate one where you do have some manual options (this is what I chose) or the grand-daddy of digicams, the DSLR (which hopefully I'll get one day!). Also, make sure you check into the macro capabilities of a camera before you buy it. I imagine you're going to want to take some close-up shots of your tank. That is probably one of the biggest selling factors for me.

As for brands, I don't think you can go wrong with Nikon or Canon. I have a 2 MP Nikon P&S that took really incredible pictures for what it was. I haven't had any experience with the Canon line. Currently I have a Sony DSC-H1 and am actually very pleased with it. I think Sony makes good product. But that's my opinion of course, others probably think they're junk! And when you get right down to it, every brand of camera has their gems and their lemons. Some really like the Minolta, Olympus and Kodak lines. I've heard some good buzz about Pentax, too.

The type of battery the camera uses too is a good topic to look at. My Sony, for instance, uses "AA" batteries which is actually pretty nice. I bought a ton of rechargables that I always have ready to go in my camera bag. So I don't have to worry about not having spare batteries. And if I do run out of rechargables, the local store will have "AA"s available for purchase. But that's more of a preference issue than something that is going to impact the quality of photos you can take.

Here's a few good sites to look at that review cameras. I really recommend you do your research on this, and then when you settle on a couple of cameras that you're interested in seek out public opinion. I checked out several camera message boards prior to getting my Sony. Reviews can sugar coat... but the public never do. laugh

Steve's DigiCams

Digital Photography Review

Imaging Resource

I hope that helps you out. That should help you find a good camera.

Now as for taking good pictures... as I always say. Take a ton of pics to find the few you like and clean your glass/acrylic. :D

Stacy