Deals on harddrive?

impur

Has anyone seen a real good deal on an internal HD? IDE/ATA, 100+gig, 8-16mb cache? Should be some deals this time of year. My HD crashed, then started to work after i beat it with the screwdriver. But i don't see it lasting much longer

Buy.com has Western Digital Caviar WD1600JB Special Edition - Hard drive - 160 Gig - standard - 3.5" - ATA-100 - 7200 rpm - 8 MB for 50 bucks using google checkout. Might be tough to top that, although its low on cache IMO.

That $79 has been there for about a month. On occasion, you can get free shipping on that item too, they rotate. The Fry's store was the same price until last week's Friday ad, check tomorrow's ad and/or call them, often they have the better prices. I'm done with Maxtor too, but they did buyout Seagate...so who knows the quality. The long warranty still applies though which is good. I've had 2 Maxtor 300's die after 13-14 months and won't buy again.

I agree with the Maxtor sentiment... I won't touch them. People use to look at me funny when I said that but I know too many people that have had problems with them. I've been a WD user for a very long time and never had a problem. First PC compatible drive was a 170MB Conner - Dead. Then a 428MB Seagate - Dead. Western Digital ever since and not a single dead drive.

That said I shop newegg for nearly all purchases... If you're really looking for a deal sometimes places like CompUSA can be competitive with their mail-in rebates when you factor in shipping, etc. I miss the the old egghead and newegg days when 2 day FedEx was practically free on everything.

Back in the day I had some work experience at a little old place called frys, they always had dead maxtors coming in (repair dept). I dunno why but I have a few maxtors now. Some have been replaced multiple times, I will say they are very "Experienced" with the repair aspect and are great to deal with, I still have a 20 MB WD drive in a drawer that works fine. and a couple 256 kb video cards... LOL. A few years ago I got a bad batch of WDs and had to replace 30 or so, but it was when they where moving the plant to Singapore.

• 1 month later...