The Pac-16

impur

I wonder if the Big 12 is done? I think this will definitely make other teams look for other avenues. The Big 12 is scrambling to try and hold things together. It means better money for Nebraska though and that helps all the way around for my team. The rest of the Big12 North is hosed though financially. I'm afraid of what Texas will do to the Pac 10 if they join. They have a habit of taking all the money and keeping the bowl games in Texas.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The money in the Pac16 or whatever it becomes is distributed evenly among the teams. Texas' days of getting a bigger piece of the pie than everyone else are over. But in the new conference they will still be getting more $ than they ever did in the Big 12. The Big 12 is definitely done.

I feel for Arizona and Arizona St. They are going to be in the division with Oklahoma and Texas. They are never going to win that division and will never see the Rose Bowl.

Whats cool is this conference should get 2 BCS bids.

Haven't been around for a few days........... So here is my opinion, (if you care or not) hehehe

I believe this is a great thing for college football!! Hope it is a good thing for the rest of the sports too. But we have to be honest.... it's all about the money!! $$$$$$$

Colorado joining gives the the Pac10 the Denver TV market and if they are able to get Texas and Oklahoma to join, (w/ those TV markets), they will control 5-6 of the largest markets west of the Mississippi. Which = Huge Dollars!!!!

If Texas A&M doesn't join, (since they are thinking SEC- booo!), I would like to see Kansas asked to join. Imagine the talent level in all the sports they would bring to the conference! But I know they will ask Utah, which should be eager to join and that will give the Pac10 the Salt Lake City market! Another big market!

I say why stop at 16? Go up to 18. And make a play for Kansas and Missouri.

If not the MWC has said they will try to add them. And then the MWC will have 12-14 teams, a play-off game, and the BCS is thinking of giving them an automatic bowl berth then. Which might be the Fiesta since the Big 12 would no longer be.

Now the Ducks......

I want D. Thomas to be the QB. I would rather see him take his lumps this year and learn from them and then have 2 years left. Would hate to see him sit this year and then have to go thru his growing pains next year.

THANK GOD Masoli is finally gone!! Should have been booted 6 months ago. He was just a distraction.......... and an idiot! What a waste, that's all I'll say about that.

ASU and Arizona State............ Sorry! (whistle) (whistle) (whistle)

USC..... Karma finally found ya huh?!? (sad) DOH! :p :D (clap)

Looks like Monday or Tuesday we should have official words on who has/is joining the new Pac-10!!! Can't wait!!! (rock2) (rock2) (rock2) (rock2)

Well, with all the reports that are coming out today it appears that the Pac16 isn't going to become a reality. :(

So the Pac 10 will go ask Utah to join making it the Pac12 so they can have a Championship game.

But I still think the Big12 is in a lot of trouble.....

Maybe it's a money thing?

Maybe it is internal?

But why would all these other conferences be trying to attact Big12 teams if it wasn't on the verge of falling apart?

I hear rumors that even if Texas can save the Big12 with this new idea they have, that in 4-5 years they will probably disband then anyways.

Just goes to show you how a large population is in control of college athletics, especially football and TV contracts. The more people you have in your area the more TV sets you control and the more money you can make. Along with having more influence on the media also.

Guess we just need to wait and see what happens........................

Yeah I heard Texas A&M declined and that Texas likely would too. That's too bad. There would have been such a buzz with those games. Those 2 schools are huge and have a huge following.

Geez I wish I could go back to the days when A&M was good and TCU sucked LOL.

Well Texas board of regents meets tomorrow, so we won't actually know till that meeting is over. This could still all happen if A&M goes to the SEC. A 9 team Big12 would not survive and they will all come to the Pac. I would rather have Missouri than Kansas. The St Louis market is like #16. They don't have the big bball team that Kansas does, but its a larger market.

Mike - did you see this? http://espn.go.com/blog/pac10/post/_/id/10480/oregon-lands-elite-qb-commitment

:D

Nope hadn't heard that. But very cool!! Can never have enough good QB's!!

The reason I want Kansas is because they are a good athletic school across the board. Better competition can only make you strive to get better yourself!

Yeah, Tuesday afternoon should be the hour to see if the Big12 is still a conference. Just sucks that Texas has so much clout and the other schools just feed off their scraps!

Wouldn't it be cool if Texas said they wanna stay in the Big12 and the other schools grew a spine and tell them "NO", we wanna go to a mega-conference!!

Miles, if the Big12 stays as a conference........

What do you think the Pac10 will do?

Get Utah and stop at 12?

Go get more to make 14?

Or even more to make 16 anyways? (kinda giving Texas the finger)

Yep it is all about the money. Because they need it to stay on an even par with the other schools. (or so they say) But there is a big difference in the amount of money each conference recieves from their TV contracts.

Big10 gets about $21M per school.

SEC get around $18M.

Big 12 about $12M.

Pac10 about $10M.

Big East about $8M.

So a bigger conference means bigger TV contract which equals bigger $$$$$$$$.

Hey there,

I hate that all sports are about the dollar anymore. Like you all said its not about loyalty anymore its only about how much can this get me.

I love that the ducks got that QB he sounds like he is a great fit for the ducks and might be able to run and gun alittle better now.

I wish they would give Texas the finger I would love to see them join into the pac 10 cause they are such a good team. but now they think they are better than everyone they can go fly a kite.

I cant wait to hear all the new teams into the league it will be great and maybe make the pac 10 even better than they already are.

Timothy

PS I want joey harrington back he was a great QB just didnt do well in the NFL

That was one of the biggest reasons Nebraska wanted out of the Texas big 12. When Texas joined they have slowly changed the distribution of funds to where it's not equal and Texas gets the lions share of the big 12 money. This hasn't set well with any past Big 8 team. The big 10 is not going to give Nebraska an equal share either, but at least they will work them into an equal share over an extended period of time. That was never an option with Texas and the Big 12 and is one of the main reasons Nebraska left.

Yah the deal with Texas getting more $ than everyone else was a bunch of crap. And look, they are all agreeing to keep it that way!! What the heck? How can a conference with 2 less teams, and those aren't small markets in Colorado and Nebraska, all the sudden make more money minus those 2 teams? Makes no sense. Watch, its all dissolve next year and they'll go to the ACC or some crap (laugh)

So if they decide to remake the big12 into 10 teams, i think the Pac10 still goes after Utah to make it 12 and adds a championship game. That right there will increase income for each team. Not as much as the Pac16 deal would have, but anything is a positive. Pac12 doesn't really excite me at all though.

Yah the deal with Texas getting more $ than everyone else was a bunch of crap. And look, they are all agreeing to keep it that way!! What the heck? How can a conference with 2 less teams, and those aren't small markets in Colorado and Nebraska, all the sudden make more money minus those 2 teams? Makes no sense. Watch, its all dissolve next year and they'll go to the ACC or some crap (laugh)

So if they decide to remake the big12 into 10 teams, i think the Pac10 still goes after Utah to make it 12 and adds a championship game. That right there will increase income for each team. Not as much as the Pac16 deal would have, but anything is a positive. Pac12 doesn't really excite me at all though.

Yeah, I heard that Colorado held 18% of the TVs in the Big12 deal and they made one of the smaller pieces of the pie!! [language filter]?!?!? Getting Colorado and possible Utah gives you the Denver and Salt Lake City markets which will be a big monetary plus. (I think Curtis will be happy too :) )

But I agree if they are added and that is the Pac12. I wouldn't be very excited about it either. And the Pac powers would in some ways struckout in their attempts to make the conference better!

How would they divide it up? North and South?

That hurts your recruiting in Cali and Arizona and Texas if you are in the North Division!

It would help Utah to at least have a stronger strength of schedule if they go undefeated and give them a chance at BCS. They have a strong ball club' date=' but no one knows how strong because of their schedule.[/quote']

I don't think Utah can go undefeated/survive an entire season against a full Pac schedule.

But what about the other sports?

Do they bring anything to the conference? Very doubtful.

Is either good at wrestling, baseball, basketball, or ?

Hell Colorado has an NCAA ski team!? Every year they will win that title! :) But no baseball, if I remember right.

Utah is respectable in bball too.

One problem with just adding those 2 is you don't really increase your profile in hotbed recruiting areas. All it did was open up Cali to Utah and Colorado. So thats 2 more schools going against us for the same recruits. Then you have to also consider how they split up the conference into 2 divisions. Most schools won't be happy to give up their yearly game in LA against USC or UCLA.

So if they do go Pac12 I think they'd divide it up along traditional rivalries, they call it a zipper alignment.

Division 1: UW/Wazzu - UO/OSU - Cal/Furd

Division 2: USC/UCLA - AZ/AZ st - Utah/UC

So if they do go Pac12 I think they'd divide it up along traditional rivalries, they call it a zipper alignment.

Division 1: UW/Wazzu - UO/OSU - Cal/Furd

Division 2: USC/UCLA - AZ/AZ st - Utah/UC

You don't think they would go:

North: UO-OSU-WSU-UW-CO-Utah

South: USC-UCLA-ASU-UA-Cal-Stanford