Hey all New new here

BrianB

Well wanted to post and say i love the site, I have been keeping fresh water fish for about 10 years or so. Have wanted to go salt for a few years and thought now would be a good time since the kids are aboard. It may take me some time to actually get a tank running as the wife says I have to get all or most of the tanks in the garage gone before I can start my new project.

I am looking to do a nice 75 or 90 display with sump and fuge to start with maybe a DSB and definatly some live rock to start. So I may not even have a tank for 6 or so months till garage gets cleared out and I have the time to make a nice oak stand canopy and such. So far just been reading and soaking up alot of good information and looking at others tanks and plumbing to get a idea of what I want to accomplish. Oh and I live here in Gresham.

Welcome! Best way to do it, nothing happens fast in saltwater unless there is a problem and it happens really fast. You didn't mention the sizes on freshwwater tanks,if they are in the way you might look into the TFT or tanks for teachers programs. The kids would put them to good use,would clear the garage out quickly and put you on the salt program in a hurry!

Welcome, I am new here too, and your story sound just like mine, both my wife and I kept freshwater tanks for many years, and always thought about doing a reef tank but never did, We did have saltwater, but it was a fish only, and after many years we finally chose to go Reef, and its been such an amazing experience, I am kicking myself for not going reef many years ago...I can only imagine where I would be now if I had..lol

There are so many great shops in the Portland Area, and this forum has been so great with all the local experienced reefers, its really a great hobby. I have had more fun in the short little while I have been keeping a reef tank than I have in the many years of keeping freshwater...At least for me.

It can be a little over whelming at first, but once you get the equipment, and get over the shock of the price, it quickly becomes all fun from there...but this forum and the local shops you should have no problem finding great equipment for a good deal, I wish I would have found this place before I started my tank...I could have gone bigger and better for half the price..DOH!

Welcome to the board. I know it can be difficult to get the spouse on board with this hobby. Lucky you she already excepts tanks in the house. Once you start getting just a little bit of your equipment you'll get so excited the going slow part goes out the window for most of us. Keep reading and when your ready just say the word.

Great idea about the "tanks for teachers"

Beckie

I agree, great idea for the tanks for teachers. LOL. I am the guy you contact if the mood strikes you. Welcome aboard. My suggestion is take your time on setting up a tank. Make sure you add stuff slowly til you get everything dialed in. Most of us didn't but you will save yourself many headaches. A great forum and a great hobby. Good luck. If you have any problems or want specific advice this is where we are full of it!!!

Welcome

I saw you mention the 75 or the 90-

Taking it from someone who went the 75 route and now wish they had gone the 90-I would say the 90.....

Or we can just fast forward and suggest you get the 180 now-(whistle)

Yes addicting, but like any addictive "hobby" self control is key.

Coming from "Reefnjunkie" I can even laugh at that one-

Again welcome

reefnjunkie way to welcome our new friends. you should at least let them be here a while before you start flying the bhind(laugh). well anyway on a more serious note welcome to the club. reefing is very addicting and sometimes i cant make myself stop buying corals. if you have any questions im sure that there will be plenty of ppl to help and jump in to answer them. once again welcome!!!!

That is a Trachyphyllia Wellsophyllia radiata (Pacific Rose Coral) or according to current taxonomics Trachyphyllia geoffroyi as all Trachys are. Most people just call them Trachys.

If you frag them the proceedure is called a Trachyotomy.

This is a great source of info for us newbies who are just starting our adventures. Can someone please tell me what the coral is that is pictured as the monthly winner? It is amazing! Thanks for your help