Add a second clown or remove and get a pair?

jackaninny

I've got a single clown and a single four stripe damsel and they get along ok but the damsel has gotten really big from where he was when I got him 6 months ago. The damsel is the more aggressive and frankly a little annoying when I'm cleaning stuff in the tank and has bothered other fish I've tried in the tank so I'm thinking about getting rid of him. I'd like to replace him with a second clown but i think I read once where that might not be such a good idea with the other clown being established in the tank already. Should I get trade both of them in and get a 'matched' pair of clowns?

Biocube 29 and I also have a yellow head goby.

Don't buy a pair. In my opinion pairs are a bad idea. Usually they are to close in size and as they grow they will fight for dominance, neither one wanting to take the role of male. You have a perfect opportunity to make a pair having had the one clown and presumably have grown it up a bit. Now all you have to do is buy a smaller clown much smaller (half the size of the one you have or smaller). This way there will be no question in either one's mind as to who is dominant. Just make sure you buy the same type of clown ie if you have a false clown buy a false or if you have a true perc buy another true. I would get rid of that four stripe as he will only get larger and more Aggressive imo, maybe you can get a little store credit towards the new clown.

There are even false x true hybrid clowns. Someone on here had a pair made from a false and a true(one was black and one was orange) and they laid eggs regularly. I was hoping that Dave would take a clutch to raise, but I don't think he ever did. It would have been an interesting study in genetics to see those babies.

As long as the two clowns get along, they will host the anemone together. Even if they are different species. Most people don't get their clowns to lay eggs anyway. And if they do lay eggs, how many of us really take the time to raise the young to a sellable size? Does it really matter if they are two species?

dsoz