120 Gallon Reef Build.

ReeFit

I'm starting the process of actually putting together the reef setup I want to see in this 120 gallon long tank. Dimensions are 72"L x 18"D x 20"H. I would like to target mostly SPS & LPS corals in this tank, it will harbor fish as well so it will be a mixed tank with an emphasis on stony corals. I have everything I need, some of the stuff is in use on tanks holding rock, sand, fish, corals etc, so the transitions are not going to be super fun. I've already moved tanks around several times, i'm sure the fish are going WT# i didn't hang my good pair of fins on that rock. Anyways, i'm at a loss on some of the plumbing and will be looking for assistance in the design since i'm doing it from scratch, there are no holes drilled in the tank so i can put them where ever i want. I plan do do an internal skim / overflow box maybe 2. I'm also deciding on an internal loop or just run power heads. My other dilemma is feeding water to the 55 gallon fuge which is separate of the sump. The fuge will sit higher than the sump so it will drain into the sumps sock. I would like the fuge to be manual fed from the tank instead of powering the water to it, but i'm afraid that if its not filtered water, the fuge will turn into a nasty nitrate dump from the tank. Should i run two socks and eat up nice real-estate in the fuge or do another internal pump in the sump where water is already returning from the tank into a 200 micron sock and just circulate water up to the fuge separate from the tank? Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

So my my problem is how to feed the fuge without adding more pumps and being able to let the water be filtered so i don't get a bunch of detrius and large particulate in the fuge if i just ran a strait line in from one of the overflows. Can i T off of the return from the skimmer and pipe it up and over to the fuge?

I just read an article that recommends supplying the refugium with water from the skimmers return line, so I think I am going to try that route. Anyone have any bad experiences with this? I was curious if the added pressure on the return would affect the skimmers performance. One positive would be that it would take small air bubbles out of the sump increasing clarity in the display.

Picked up an Iron Might pump. 1.3amps and 40GPM. i'm excited, gonna have some good flow.

Got a reef keeper system from salt water fantaseas for automation and also had a custom black overflow box made by saltwater fantaseas acrylic guy.

time to start working on the stand for placement of the sump and refugium tanks.

• 1 month later...

Getting close for a water test I see. I was looking at your diagram and I take it you are running the return from 1" pipe to a T then 3/4" to the other T's and then some kinda directional ends on the pipe in the tank?.

I did some what the same thing and lost more flow then what I wanted to. I guess I might need a bigger pump though as I started with only a Blue line HD40.

What is the big blue box in your diagram?

Getting close for a water test I see. I was looking at your diagram and I take it you are running the return from 1" pipe to a T then 3/4" to the other T's and then some kinda directional ends on the pipe in the tank?.

I did some what the same thing and lost more flow then what I wanted to. I guess I might need a bigger pump though as I started with only a Blue line HD40.

What is the big blue box in your diagram?

yea i have a 2400 gph pump, it will be 1" all the way to 1" SCWD's. i may just do just one scwd to two heads. i have a 1000gph running a 3/4" scwd and a chiller and it works fine so i figured a 2400 on 2 1" scwd's would work. guess we'll see. The blue box is a chiller, its not going to run off the main pump but i just threw that on there to allow for spacing. I'm starting to lean towards another cabinet just for the chiller to get that space back.

If possible you might want to test the 1" scwd with the pump, I still have a new one (for sale) I tried to run with a Mag18 and it wouldnt even turn, I think the specs say 3500 gph. If you havent bought one yet let me know

If possible you might want to test the 1" scwd with the pump' date=' I still have a new one (for sale) I tried to run with a Mag18 and it wouldnt even turn, I think the specs say 3500 gph. If you havent bought one yet let me know[/quote']

the 1" is rated at a min. 500gph and max of 3500gph.

I would be interested in a price if its not broke. :)

I'm not sure, it took a really long time to turn. I opened it up and all looked fine, I didnt have a larger pump at the time to try it. I really like the 3/4's and will be useing them on my new tank.

I think I paid 85.00 at Upscales, have the 1" barbed fittings for the 1" black vinyl and some hose

Shoot me a Pm and we can hook it up to a pump, try it out

First Water test with tap water.

DSC_0022.JPG

Home made durso pipes, love how quiet they are.

DSC_0023.JPG

Testing out some of the plumbing to make sure it sits right where i want it. Not using the exact sump yet that i will be so i'm guessing where pipes are going to land.

DSC_0025.JPG

Made the adjustments to the plumbing, overflow and durso pipes and now have actual salt water and sand starting the cycle.

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0029.JPG

rinsed the sand really well. this is about an hour after dumping the sand in. I still have another 100lbs of sand going in from another tank.

DSC_0027.JPG

Looks good but why did you install light switches on the right side of the tank???

LOL. I've gotta get over there to see that.

Haha, its called a reflection.

yeah i gotta come see yours too after you made all the changes.

I can't wait for this thing to cycle, i want to see that big tang in his new house.

Haha, its called a reflection.

yeah i gotta come see yours too after you made all the changes.

I can't wait for this thing to cycle, i want to see that big tang in his new house.

I thought his new house is waiting down at Rosecity still.

It will look good in the new house.

• 3 months later...

Figured I should finish this build.

here's the refugium back in July.

DSC_0026.JPG

Mangroves now.

DSC_0019.JPG

Refugium now. This thing keeps my nitrates at 0 and i feed pretty heavy.

DSC_0020.JPG

2400GPH return pump

DSC_0018.JPG

SWC Skimmer and Sump

DSC_0017.JPG

A few finished tank shots of inhabitants and rockwork.

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0013.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

DSC_0021.JPG

And a few FTS shots

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG