Reef Angel Controller

h2odvl

Roberto, the guy behind it, will contact you soon.

As for the power strip, it cost 50% less than the other ones on the market, so it is not too bad.

Later today I should finish to set it up and I will take some pictures.

I had my apex temp sensor going out of scale. I wonder if it is for some interference with the reef angel probes. I know they are working on that before to introduce the orp, salinity and oxygen (which are under testing right now). For now I recalibrated the temp sensor and I'm keeping an eye on it.

The unit and the power strip are BIG compared to the more compact Apex, but that's not a problem if you have room for it.

Also the power strip does include the connectors to manage led lights (maxwell drives through an adaptor or something like that).

Last thing. If you install it as it is and don't start playing with the software, it is even more easy to use than an Apex.

I like the way they divided all the thing by functions: ato is set up already (you can use as single or double), dosing pumps are set up already, LED's, light divided by function (main lights and supplementation lights) with the relative time settings. Chiller, heater and even Kalk reactor are already present in the standard code.

It is very LED oriented, that's why they sell it with 3 temp sensors: tank, room and led's heat sink.

I couldnt find much but does this system allow a calcium probe?

No, and none of the other controllers does support one. Ca probes are not supposed to be for full immersion at now, they need continuous re-calibration and they are not reliable

Ah ok... just shows what i know lol

Im still thinking about getting one of these systems just not sure if i really need one.

Any chance they can be setup to detect a power out if running on a ups? Would be nice to setup to shutoff everything except one or two things incase of power outs.

I'm really glad people here are starting to us these. I'm sad It wouldn't work with my set up. As for programing, if you're around computers alot I dont think it would be too hard. I remember playing around with it a little bit the one day I played with it. If I remember right, they also have a forum where people post the codes they are using so you can just use others codes or parts of them. Like having MH lights with a cool down period before re-firing if they get turned off.

I'm interested, if you do need to program how difficult is it?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It depends on your computer skills. Not really difficult. It just takes some time. But out of the box it is running really well without the need of writing a single line of code.

I think the Max is 10amps. I'm running more than that.

humm i probably should gather up everything i have and figure out how many amps its pulling.

off topic: i race rc cars nearly everyday at work and they can draw over 100amps in a single second lol.

That's your job? :)
i run a Local Hobby Shop (LHS for short). So i do get to play with RC very often. Just built a new truck yesterday. Cant wait to race it tomorrow.

Unfortunately i'm into the most expensive hobbies... saltwater and rc. Makes crack look cheap. lol

i run ToddsRC aka Todds Cottage Grove Yamaha & RC Hobbies.

I built an indoor offroad carpet 1/10th course back in January.

Im not much of a Losi fan... but i'm racing a brand new Losi XXX-T CR tomorrow. Sold my T4 a few weeks ago. I figured ill give everything a try before i decide what to run the most.

I powered mine up last night to start playing around with it. Right out of the box it has preloaded code that should work for most people. It can handle light timing (even LEDs), ATO units, feeding cycles, water change cycles, etc without having to load any additional code. It even charts the last 24 hours of temp, pH, etc. right on the LCD screen.

Take a look at the manual on the Reef Angel download page for a better idea of how easy it is to set up.

The coding really comes in handy if you want to move beyond the basics. For example, I want to use the WiFi module to build a custom web application that will chart my tank vitals over time and allow me to pull them up in a web browser. I'd even like to be able to control my Reef Angel with my phone, similar to how the Apex controllers work.