Reef Angel Controller

h2odvl

I ordered a Reef Angel Controller about a month ago. I've played around with it a little and it way cool. Lots of potential! For those that don't know it is a open source controller make by a fellow reefer.

I got the full package it had:

1 Controller

1 Serial cable

1 USB cable

1 8 relay box

1 PH Probe

3 Temp probes

2 Float switches

Here are the un-boxing pictures

CAM_0240.JPG

CAM_0241.JPG

CAM_0243.JPG

I'll write a little more about this controller in the next day or two.

You can find more info or order one from http://www.reefangel.com

I've been using it for about 36 hours now it seems to be working fine. It has a graph on the controller that shows in different colors the 3 different temps and the PH. Not sure the time frame of the graph but i'm guessing a few hours.

I have it controlling my day and attinic lights, two skimmer, heater, return pump and refugium/sump light.

Heater is set to turn on at 78.5 and off at 79.5 using the temp from temp probe 1

and it seems to be holding right close to 78.9 with a .5-.9 variance. A nice improvement over the heater on it's own with a temp range from 78-81.

Timers are working great for the lights.

When running the OEM program you can upload your data to the computer and see it there, it had a graph but was having problems so it's being reworked. It also can set codes/alerts.

The calibration fluid was empty when I opened the ph probe box so it is not reading the correct ph but is giving me an idea of the ph swing. I'll have to pick up some sulution and calibrate it.

It doesn't come with a mount(well at least yet) and the probe cord length is about 3 feet which sounded long but is not ideal for my setup. I would of liked it to be 5-6 feet. The communication cable and usb cable are both long enough (I think 6 feet).

I have noticed that when I connect to the controller from my pc it restarts and everything that it is controlling it shuts off for about 1/2 a second. Not a big deal but it may bug some.

I have not used the ATO part yet but I'm sure it will work as well as the rest of the unit.

As for controlling more then 8 plugs I'm not sure but i'll ask it it could be gone. My guess is that it could be done with another box and a cable splitter and a few more lines of code.

I'm not a coder by any means, I can copy and paste the code and edit it to my liking for now. There are a few people out there writing there own code for it, and a lot more just modifying what it comes with.

There was a little bit of time spent on the setup of the controller to get the communication with the pc. A few drivers and a couple of software programs to download and install but it was fairly easy. It is not for the plug and play type that said you can just plug it in and start using it with the stock software and it should work fine for that. But thats not why you buy this controller:)

All the bugs are not worked out of it and are still being worked on daily by Roberto (the maker) and everyone else that owns one. Thats what is nice about it, if you don't like something or want to add/change a thing or two you don't have to wait you can just rewrite the code or download one and your done.

Roberto is working on a wifi attachment so it can be wireless, send and receive info from a pc or maybe even an Iphone. He is working on a AJAX platform not sure what that is but was told that it is not browser or computer specific so it could be accessed bay all types. This to will be open source I believe so it can be tweaked to your hearts content.

This is the nice thing about it, if you want it to do something just make it. Ideas I've had were wifi/bluetooth, Vortech controller, remote access and sms/text warning messages.

So for the $180 I spent, I got a temp controller, Timer for my lights, a Ph monitor and a ATO controller. For me it seems to be a good deal and a fun project.

That is all for now.

• 1 month later...

Update:

I think it's been about two months and it hasn't given me one problem. I have to say again for the price I don't think you can beat it.

ALOT of people have been writing code and customizing this controller. Seems to get cooler every day.

Just got and email fron roberto (the maker) he said he should have the next shipment in by next week. I'll keep you posted.

• 7 months later...

Any update?

I just need a second 8 outlet for my apex and they run for $150. Considering to spend $199 and get this controller so I have the more outlets I need + ato, a second ph and temp...

It will add some double check on ph, temp, ato for $49 more than the apex.

So I got the controller a couple of days ago (sorry Dave!) and I have to say that it is AWESOME.

I own an Apex, so I was expecting to get less.

I was wrong. The controller is amazing and the possibilities of customization are a lot.

The only problem I've found so far is a broken ATO switch, but I'm sure that they will replace it.

For $199 you get WAY more than all the other controllers on the market. And it is still growing...

It is not easy to use, but if you can program a little, or if you know somebody that can help you, it can do pretty much everything out of the box, just playing with the code.

In a couple of hours I set it up and I created a custom code that is able to handle sump and skimmer overflow.

I'm using it as a second controller: the apex is for lights and temp management, the Angel is for all the pumps (the feeding and water change program is better than the one on the Apex).

It comes with 3 temp sensors, a ph probe, 2 float switches and 8 controllable outlets. Adding 8 more cost 1/2 compared to the Apex

This thing is a geek's dream come true. I don't even have my tank set up' date=' and I'd buy one right now if I could, just to experiment! Sadly, they're out of stock.[/quote']

It is. Did you see the new Client(2.0)?

I wasn't able to install it yet. I'm having problems because I run Windows as a vmware virtual machine, but the support guy is working on it.

The only minus so far is the power strip which is only 10A, while the Apex is 15A. With a 500w heater you use half if it :(

They will be on stock soon. I want to get the wifi module

I haven't seen the client yet. I'm still digging into and fantasizing about what sort of web-based things I can do with it.

Good point about the amps on the power strip. I saw that on the Reef Angel site. If you had to, I suppose you could run the heater on its own thermostat, but that kinda defeats the purpose :P.

I sent an email to the info@ email address. Hopefully they'll ping me when these are back in stock.