Variable Speed FAn wiring?

siskiou

The temperatures are going up here and with all the lights and the refugium light on, temps are going up 4 degrees, unless I run a fan over the sump.

Currently I have one going on a timer, but it's not keeping the temp as steady as I'd like.

I'm looking at some variable speed fans on ebay, but am not electrically savvy enough to know what kind of power supply I need to wire it into.

Help? scratch

-Susanne

Guest Ahbrit

i use a fan controller from a PC (not runing right now ~ already too much evaporation)

It will sense temperature and adjust the fan speeds accordingly. the one i have controls 4 fans.

you have to watch out you don't get water on the probes though. Best way is to put it in a test tube and fill it will silicone, then drop it in your sump.

Most of them have an alarm also for high temps.

You need a 12v convertor to run them

Guest Ahbrit

If you can get by with one fan then sure

i was thinking bigger, my bad (I tend to overthink things)

What will it be like in Summer though? i ran a 46g all last summer only manageing to get the heat down to 82

Guest Ahbrit

most 12v convertors will do as long as you don't exceed the max amps

but you wont need any of what i explained you if buy the fan with controller built in

Thanks again!

We will run an air conditioner in the living room, once it really heats up, but I'm not sure how hot this tank will get.

The 20H has been okay with nothing else, but this 40G (with 20G sump) has only been set up for a few months.

Nothing much is in it, yet (just got the main live rock today and it's curing in a tub). The tank currently has sand and a few pieces of cured live rock, plus a small cleaning crew in it.

And some rubble and macro in the fuge.