dieing inverts

sivart33

so my parameters are like so

ammonia: 0

no2: 0

no3: 0 ( or super super low)

ph its hard to read on my cheap test strips but seems like 8.2 ish

The tank has cycled great. had snail and a few crabs live through the not so ruff cycling with live rock (fresh).

i have never put copper in the tank, nor the water from the LFS.

now i picked up a snail( unknown) big 2 inch beauty. 1 hermit crab, and one sally lightfoot crap. i got them all 3 together, drip acclimated them all 3 at once for oww a good 1.5 hours. on saturday

First the sally light foot dies on sunday night or at least i noticed.

then this mourning the snail has kicked the bucket. they where both actively eating and moving around the first day and the snail both days.

and just found a dead small unknown crab hitchhiker

the hermit looks fine, eating away and have 2 clowns in the tank + hitchhikers ( emerald crap and a cerith snail) that i have found.

the tank peramaters have not changed since i put the inverts in. is there something i am missing. i got my water tested at the LFS when i got my invers and fish and both times it looked good (phosphate was tiny bit but nothing to worry bout is what i was told)

need some help? just bad live stock? just unlucky? didn't acclimated long enough?

also to add' date=' i am getting a small hitchhiker coral ( brown polup) growing, so i know my water cant be hiding something i am not aware of or at least i hope.[/quote']

Are you sure this is a brown polyp and not an aptasia? Those suckers can grow in anything and are super invasive.....

yes it is glass, ill have to take the water in to get tested for copper, but i ahve some other inverts that have been in there since the start of the cycle that are doing fine. but ill have it checked to make sure. honestly i am hoping just for just bad luck with them and nothing wrong with my water.

i like to think my water is good and am proud of it.

You may have just gotten poor livestock. I've had snails die on me that quick before too. It sounds like it was a mexican turbo snail, and those are known to have a poor survival rate. Last time i bought 6 and only 2 made it. I can't really say on the sally light foot.

Bring a sample of your water to the LFS where you bought them along with the corpses. Maybe they will replace them or give you a discount on replacements. They can also test out all your params just for a backup.

the snail wasnt a normally turbo snail. it was pink body with a blue line on the outer edge. wish i got pictures of it, also i tossed them, wish i kept them to bring back, but the acclamation could have been the issue but i thought i did it right ( first time)

if your still on your first cycle, your tank is still really new. you will undoubtedly lose stuff, its a given. i lost my first lightfoot and several emerald crabs. snails die all the time. i usually get small blue leg and zebra hermits, they seem to do better for me. Give your tank another month, don't change your water much if at all. let that rock and sand get seeded really well and you will see stabilization. if your on your 2nd or 3rd month or more now then u probably do have some chemical leeching in. what kind of water do you use and what do you dose?

well water, and what do you mean by dose?

its a little over a month old, used live sand/live rock. 30 gal no sump, just hob. and a powerhead for water flow. heater, temp does not change much at all. maybe 1 degree though out the day. 1.023 saliently also.

well water

Probably the problem right there...

Get it tested for metals first.

Invest in an RO/DI filter. I thought that I would not need one considering we have some of the best water in the world here in Oregon... I was wrong. After a hair algae outbreak that almost drove me out of the hobby... I now own a RO/DI water filter. Most are under $200, and considering I have over $1000 worth of livestock invested in the tank, what is another couple of hundred...

dsoz

so my parameters are like so

ammonia: 0

no2: 0

no3: 0 ( or super super low)

ph its hard to read on my cheap test strips but seems like 8.2 ish

The tank has cycled great. had snail and a few crabs live through the not so ruff cycling with live rock (fresh).

Just curious as to what you are using for testing your water-I saw you mention test strip-is that for PH only or are you using the "all in one" test strips by API.

And how long has the tank been set up-you say it is has cycled?

the LFS give away rodi water. ya getting some brown algea but nothing crazy...yet.

ill use rodi on my next water change.

oww ya also, my well has a water softener on it, i ahve not looked to far into what type of filter it is exactly, look like a huge rodi system will have to look into it more.