Our 1st Seahorse babies w/video

newfisher

Our male Seahorse has been REALLY huge lately and as newbies in the Saltwater world we were questioning over eating/feeding, he's more active than the others or mabey a different breed? (nutty) We googled "pregnant seahorse" several times and found that one of our "couples" is a soon to be father! (scary) Franklin( Algea ) stopped by today to pick up some dry rock and supplies( thank you Garrett ) and my wife was on her way home from lunch when Daddy was twitching and phasing in and out of color from white to black. The twitching or contractions kept getting quicker and stronger, throwing it's body from side to side. :eek: Jess called Heather (NNewhouse's wife,who also has seahorses) and she rushed over. We were watching for about ten minutes and then it happened.....BABIES! Hundreds of them! We scrambled for camera's and caught this video. (clap)(clap)

th_DSCN2158.jpg

• Like 1

Unfortunately we chose not to set up a nursery and rotifer cultures. Throwing them to the wind ( or skimmer ) and see how many naturally survive. Next batch we will be ready!!

"Looks like that seahorse tree came in handy already!" Noobtosalt

Yes, the quickly took to the new addition and are going through thier color changes daily!!

Next batch should come in 14-17 days.

IIRC ingens can eat bbs as a first food. Are you sure you need rots? Let me check around a bit. There are not to many people breeding ingens in the U.S., no one that I know of selling them, besides Elizer out of Mexico.

Best of luck, let me know if you have fry questions.

We are not planning on raising babies. If they are Ingens and nobody breeding them here in the states, I would "stud" them out to someone or be interested in having somebody set up a nursery here. We just don't have the time, or patience to take it on. Probobly the same reason all of my hounds are nuetered lol

• 2 weeks later...

He is carrying now again and by the 14 to 17 day cycle, should happen over the weekend. It seems contageous in that room, we watched our cleaner shrimp have babies last night. I told my wife she had to watch the tanks from the kitchen and couldn't go in there anymore! Lol