Brewed my first batch of beer!

impur

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to post up that I brewed my Red Hook ESB weekend before last. It went great, my DIY MLT worked flawlessly. I purchased BeerSmith to help with conversions, strike and sparge amounts/temps, ABV and efficiency. Its a great program. I input my equipment and recipe and it adjusts everything for you. Creates a nice brew sheet with times, estimated results, color of the beer...everything. So a buddy and I went to work, after about 4 hours got it down to temp and pitched the yeast.

15qts strike water at 158

4.94gal of sparge water at 174 - batch sparged for 20min

~90-100min boil

This gave me about 7gal boil, which was at the very rim of my kettle. So i took about 5qts out and boiled it on the stove for 20min while the remaining wort boiled outside. I combined the two once the hot break calmed down.

Recipe calls for an SG of 1.054-1.058 - we got 1.056 and per BeerSmith our efficiency was 71%.

Went so well, I made some Graff the next day :D

My house smelled great for a couple days too!!! I love the smell of brewing.

Nice. My Full Sail turned out great, but in a side-by-side with the original, I can taste how having it in a chiller for fermentation would make it better. Definitely a good beer though! Anyone know where I can get a recipe for a Samuel Smiths Pale Ale clone?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com

Recipe: Samuel Smiths Old Brewery Bitter

Style: Standard/Ordinary Bitter

TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications

--------------------------

Batch Size: 6.00 gal

Boil Size: 7.20 gal

Estimated OG: 1.037 SG

Estimated Color: 13.8 EBC

Estimated IBU: 28.4 IBU

Brewhouse Efficiency: 85.00 %

Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:

------------

Amount Item Type % or IBU

6.30 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (TF) (5.9 EBC) Grain 90.85 %

0.63 lb Crystal Malt Med (118.2 EBC) Grain 9.15 %

0.80 oz Fuggle 2006 [4.50 %] (90 min) Hops 13.5 IBU

0.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (90 min) Hops 15.0 IBU

0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule:

Total Grain Weight: 6.93 lb

----------------------------

English Bitter Mash

75 min Saccharification 150.8 F

10 min Mash Out 170.6 F

Notes:

Remove 2 pints of unhopped wort once all runnings are in the kettle but before adding hops. Reduce this wort over high heat to 1/3rd pint and add back to the kettle during the boil

Popped a couple bottles of Apfelwine last night and oh man that stuff is good!!! Its almost like an apple champagne. My wife and I both finished off a bottle each and had to split another it was so good (laugh)

I'm gonna make some more tonight since i was able to track down a 5 & 6 gal carboy for 10 bucks :D

Few more weeks!?!?!? Sheesh that better be one hell of a system ;) And i'd love to see that recipe, just sounds crazy!!

I have almost pulled the trigger on a 15gal kettle about 100 times in the last few weeks. But in the end i think i'd rather stick to 5.5gal batches and brewing more often.

I'm going to test again tonight and hope that the FG stays the same so i can bottle. I've also got my Graff to bottle!

Haha its open buddy come on down!!! We can crack some brews and rewatch the Civil War :D

Bottled:

Rogue Dead Guy Ale - warning ester off-flavors - tastes like a Saison

Apfelwein

Commercial brews:

Hop Czar IIPA

Ninkasi Total Domination IPA

Pyramid Hefeweizen

Fermenting:

7gal bucket - Red Hook ESB

6gal carboy -

5gal carboy - Graff

5gal carboy - Apfelwein

Next up:

Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale - Sunday!!

I'm jealous of your fermenter, thats one sweet piece of equipment. One day..........

Got the Pale Ale brewed over the weekend. Also took time during the mash and boil to bottle my Graff. Now thats some tasty stuff!!

I love brew day, its just a fun day.

Doing my Samuel Smith's tonight. Hopefully this batch I will be able to chill while it ferments...Can definitely taste the esters in my last batch. Miles - One of the guys at Valley Vintner used to work at Rogue...If you catch them when they are bored with no customers, their customer service increases by leaps and bounds. Lol

Dang you got esters too eh. I don't like that flavor, we use those beers for cooking though. I'll see if i can get over there and give them a shot, I need to pick up the grains for my Fire Rock Pale ale i'll be brewing this weekend.

On the pale ale is just did it finished 10 points under as well. I did a bunch of reading and messing around in BeerSmith, it seems it was my efficiency going into the boil kettle that suffered. I need to pay a little closer attention to my temps in my MLT, and maybe soak longer or add a bit more grains to make up for it. Also the crush is very important, since i don't have a mill i know that is also something that causes low efficiency. The LHBS usually crush it a bit larger so they can get more crushes out of their mills. But dang they are expensive!

You should give it a shot!! You can do it on your stove. Just need a 2-3 gallon pot' date=' ingredients, and a bucket with a lid to ferment it in.[/quote']

As soon as I am done dumping money into the start up of the tank I just might!