Brewed my first batch of beer!

impur

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday was bottling day!!!

I soaked the bottles in bleach/water for several days to get the labels off and anything that might be growing in there. Then i ran em thru my dishwasher on high temp settings, and then I used my vinator to shoot some starsan inside before the beer went in.

I ended up about 12 bottles short somehow (scratch) I redid the math even afterward and can't figure out where i miscalculated. Oh well, more beer!!

DSCN3461.jpg

DSCN3460.jpg

DSCN3475.jpg

Sterilizing everything

DSCN3462.jpg

Priming sugar

DSCN3466.jpg

I poured a small amount into a glass to compare it to the actual bottled Dead Guy which i bought for this occasion. It tastes so close already!!

DSCN3468.jpg

DSCN3463.jpg

Racking to the bottling bucket

DSCN3469.jpg

DSCN3467.jpg

DSCN3471.jpg

DSCN3482.jpg

DSCN3478.jpg

My bottle capper

DSCN3479.jpg

DSCN3477.jpg

DSCN3464.jpg

3 weeks to go!

• 2 weeks later...

I tried another bottle and its getting better!! I think it needs another month really.

I also tried my apfelwein. Dang that stuff is good!!! I think it'll be better once its bottled and carbed. I'm gonna bottle it monday.

Apfelvwein gets better after time. I compared some bottled in January and April and the first one were way better. I wish there is a way to make it less sparkly...

For beers I've found that 12-13 days is when they taste right as for carbonation. But it could be different depending on beer style, temperature and so on.

So... ready to try the next level? I'm not meaning all grain, but a liquor.

Last month I did some Lemoncello with a friend (He's american and he showed me how to make it lol)

It is pretty easy to make it and looks like the real thing to me. I can share the recipe if interested.

It is an infused liquor, no moonshine, so it is 100% legal in Oregon :)

Even I would be interested in that recipe!

I will probably do another batch soon. I will try to take some pics of the process and post it.

It is good stuff for christmas presents too, especially if you find some cute little bottles

Alex i just got a couple more carboys so i'd be down to give it a shot!

I think for my first batch of beer that the steeping bag i made out of cheesecloth held the grains too tight. But each time i taste it it gets better so i'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Try one of the grain bags from Valley Vintner. The one I used was a very wide mesh - but it held my grains quite well. Also did you put your hops in a bag as well? Makes straining them MUCH easier. Next batch I do will have a grain bag AND a hop bag, as well as straining the wort into the fermenter.

Well things are getting dicey for us home brewers here in Oregon. Its now illegal for you to enter any brew contests, and it is illegal to consume your beer off the premise it was brewed on. So you are now breaking the law if you bring a 6pack to a buddies BBQ.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20100711/UPDATE/100711013#ixzz0tRMJBuW2

BEND — The Oregon Liquor Control Commission’s new interpretation of an old law is placing restrictions on homemade beer and wine.

It effectively bans judged competitions and home-brewing club tasting nights.

At issue is a statute that forbids the production of alcoholic beverages by anyone not licensed by the commission.

But the law excludes “the making or keeping of naturally fermented wines and fruit juices or beer in the home, for home consumption and not for sale.”

The Oregon State Fair cites the new interpretation of the phrase “home consumption” for canceling this year’s beer and wine competitions.

More here

http://lisamorrison.hoppress.com/2010/06/29/oregon-homebrew-threatened/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

The Oregon state fair just canceled the brew and wine competitions they had been doing for the last 30 years because of this.

Of course none of this is going to stop me, just add it to the other ridiculous laws i'm sure i break. Like owning a Rhizotrochus typus.

LAAAAAAAME!!

I gotta guess that they will get this overturned or reinterpreted. Actually, looking at the language of the law, that is a pretty flimsy interpretation. There are a lot of home brewers in Oregon that will rise up against the man.

Anybody that wants to bring me some of their home brew will not be turned in to the authorities! :D