Brewed my first batch of beer!

impur

Partial mash...The problem in my OG was the steeping part...I stepped on my thermometer last time I did a batch and forgot about it until last night, so I just guessed a temperature and steeped them at that. I used StarSan this time instead of Iodophor...It is amazing! No smell, 1 minute contact time, no rinse, and as it breaks down it becomes a yeast nutrient.

This time I am gonna get an old refrigerator box, and line it with styrofoam, and put frozen water bottles in it to keep it cooler than room temperature.

You should have said something earlier, I did a festival in Woodburn last weekend and would have brought you some beer!

Yah i love starsan, great stuff. I keep a spray bottle filled with it at all times.

Stupid thermometers. My last brew we dropped the thermometer into the MLT. Fished it out and finished the brew. So since it got water in it, i decided to buy a new one for the brew session last weekend. I used them both at the same time, the new one read 10 degrees higher than the old. So i took out a meat thermometer to compare, it read the same as the old one. Then i tried a candy thermometer, and it read 5 degrees higher than the old and meat thermometer, but 5 degrees lower than the new one!!! [language filter]!

I was going to try and do the swamp cooler method for my ESB, but the bathroom i keep it in (in the tub) stays around 65, and after the first 2 or 3 days of fermentation the temp on the side of the bucket reads 68. I think the highest it got was 70, maybe 72. At any rate, i don't taste any esters so thats good!! Depends on how my pale ale goes this time, if i get esters i'm breaking out the rubbermade tub, towel, and ice bottles from here on out.

You know the next time I set up a reef tank I am buying one of those lazer thermometers. They aren't that expensive and they are 120% worth every cent. Way more accurate too.

Also my mom helped with this batch...When doing my final strain into the primary fermenter, I dropped a grain bag into the funnel...She immediately put her fingers in the funnel and pulled it out O.o My bad for not explaining to her about sanitization and the time from boil to fermenter.

You should have said something earlier, I did a festival in Woodburn last weekend and would have brought you some beer!

That would of been great!

Was it that Mexico celibration thing going on?

Thats the only one I knew about.

I'm a brewing machine!! Brewed up some Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale saturday. I used an extra pound of Maris Otter than the recipe called for to try and up my efficiency. I also made sure to drain the MLT much slower, and I ended up mashing for about 70min instead of 60. Got 69.34% efficiency, so a little better. I still think its the crush thats effecting it most.

I decided to try the swamp cooler method while fermenting this batch. I got a 20gal rubbermade tub, put it in the bathtub full of cold water and stuck the ale pale in that. Should help keep the temps lower and more consistant.

So i'm finally getting a pipeline built up. I've got Apfelwein, Graff, and Red Hook ESB all bottled. I'm fermenting Apfelwein, Ed Wort's Haus Pale Ale, and now Kona Fire Rock. I've got 1 open fermenter so I might try an IPA this week or something. I was thinking of ordering an extract kit so i can brew after work one day.

Tasted a bottle of my Red Hood ESB (Red Hook ESB clone) last night. Still needs a week to finish carbing, it was slightly flat. Nice malty flavor with a bitter hop finish. Me likey!!!!! Can't wait until its carbed and i can compare it against the real deal.

Also picked up an extract kit from Midwest, its an Autumn Amber ale just in time for fall!!! I wanted to be able to brew on a weekday after work, and extract takes about half the time as all-grain. So i might be brewing it tonight. I'm gonna ditch the instructions and steep my grains in 3qts of water instead of 2gal. Then i'll top up the water to get my boil volume, add 1/2 of the LME and do normal hops additions per the directions. Should be fun!!

One problem i have run into though - No more room in my bathtub for another fermenter DOH!

Brewed up the Autumn Amber Ale. OG came out a bit higher than the recipe called for. Hope its due to the fact that i did a late extract addition and full boil. Now all of my fermenters are in use so no brewing until i get enough bottles to bottle one of em (laugh)

Another batch bottled! Haus Pale Ale, this one might be my best yet. For some reason i'm not getting all 5.5gal out of these batches when i go to bottle. I don't understand it. I know 5.5gal goes into the fermenter, and i only do 3 or 4 tests which use about 4oz each. Where does it go???????

8b60cf8f.jpg

246a7929.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I snagged a 8gal kettle off amazon for $25 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194DVJI/ref=oss_product

Its a steamer pot but works great!!!!

I did some 2.75gal batches with it over the weekend. I used 5lbs of Maris Otter for each one, cascade hops in one batch, centennial in the other. In about 3 weeks i'll be ables to pop em open and sample the different taste from each hop. I'm planning to do Mt Hood, Fuggle, Willamette, and a few others. I'm thinking i might drop down to 1gal batches since there are so many types of hops.

I snagged a 8gal kettle off amazon for $25 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00194DVJI/ref=oss_product

Its a steamer pot but works great!!!!

I did some 2.75gal batches with it over the weekend. I used 5lbs of Maris Otter for each one, cascade hops in one batch, centennial in the other. In about 3 weeks i'll be ables to pop em open and sample the different taste from each hop. I'm planning to do Mt Hood, Fuggle, Willamette, and a few others. I'm thinking i might drop down to 1gal batches since there are so many types of hops.

[language filter] I thought I was coming over for tamales!!

I'm gonna ditch the instructions and steep my grains in 3qts of water instead of 2gal. Then i'll top up the water to get my boil volume, add 1/2 of the LME and do normal hops additions per the directions. Should be fun!!

What's gonna be the difference stepping in less water? I tried to step in more water and the beer wasn't tasting great. Could be that?

What's gonna be the difference stepping in less water? I tried to step in more water and the beer wasn't tasting great. Could be that?

What i've read is if you use the smaller amount of water to avoid extracting tannins with the normal amount of grain, you will get exactly what you want. The idea here is that if you used too much water, you would be extracting too much from the grains, and therefore getting the tannins, but with the lesser amount of water you will extract what you want without over-extracting.

It tasted great before going into the fermenter, but this also might be attributed to adding the extract late in the boil too. That brew is ready to be bottled, so in about 3-4 weeks i'll be able to tell you how it turns out :D

I bottled my American Pale ale about 3 weeks ago, tested a bottle last night. This is some good stuff!!! I think i'm getting better and better, each batch has been better than the last. Though the ESB is still probably tops.

I'm bottling my Kona Fire Rock tonight, and this just might be the best yet. I think it tastes SOOOOOO close to the real deal, i can't wait to see how it tastes once its carbed up.

I've also got a batch of Apfelwein and my Autumn Amber Ale both ready to bottle, problem is i'm short about 50+ bottles (laugh) Guess i better get to drinkin! (drinking)