Brewed my first batch of beer!

impur

Its your fault i already have a batch of Apfelwein going (laugh)

I love just about all IPAs. The more bitter and hoppier the better! I'm gonna make this on sunday since i'll be bottling my Dead Guy and i will have an empty fermenter sitting around. Thanks for scanning it!

I think you could do the dual chambers. Check this out. 3 sections all have different temps. Uses an old window shaker.

http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/cold_storage_box.htm

PS: if we find some rubber gaskets we can easily convert all the salt buckets into fermenters

The oceanic buckets would be perfect. I think they hold 6+ gal. You can get those gromets at the hardware store. I know Jerry's here has them cuz i picked one up the exact same size as on my fermenter when i was installing the GROM device in my car. I used it to feed wire thru some plastic.

I think you could do the dual chambers. Check this out. 3 sections all have different temps. Uses an old window shaker.

http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/cold_storage_box.htm

Thanks for the link! It almost what I have in mind, especially as for the materials used. I would like to have the temp more controllable and less passive. I have to change the humidity and temp often. I think I will extend an old refrigerator and using fans, some heat source and a ultrasonic humidifier to get my goal.

Ok i just bought a dorm fridge off craigslist for $30. Time to get to work on a fermenting chamber (plotting)(plotting)(plotting)(plotting)

That was fast Miles!!!! I thought I was the hobby king, but there is always someone better lol

About times... I found that the more you wait the better it is (like reefing!).

I kinda follow the 1-2-3 rule: 1 primary, 2 secondary and 3 weeks for carbonation. What do you do with your batches?

That was fast Miles!!!! I thought I was the hobby king, but there is always someone better lol

About times... I found that the more you wait the better it is (like reefing!).

I kinda follow the 1-2-3 rule: 1 primary, 2 secondary and 3 weeks for carbonation. What do you do with your batches?

Haha when it comes to DIY stuff, i'm all over it. Not sure if i'm gonna rip the guts out of it and just use those, or incorporate the actual fridge body into the build. We shall see.

Yah thats what i've read too. If you aren't sure if its ready, wait another week. I have read that 1-2-3 rule before. But since both my fermenting bucket and carboy are full, and since this is still my first batch, i'm avoiding racking to secondary all together. Just for now. So i'm leaving it in primary for 2 weeks, then bottling and leaving for 3. I'm actually gonna test it tonight, then tomorrow and again friday for SG. If it doesn't change in 3 days i should be good to bottle right?

Did you get your kit from Valley Vintner Miles? I'm going there tomorrow to get my deluxe starter kit' date=' and I'll probably buy a second Carboy as well.[/quote']

No i got mine online. Here is the kit i got

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit.html

It was the best price i could find. I think its even cheaper, with shipping, than anywhere local.

I keep hearing how horrible the customer service is at Valley Vintner. Have you been there before Max?

But since both my fermenting bucket and carboy are full' date=' and since this is still my first batch, i'm avoiding racking to secondary all together. Just for now. So i'm leaving it in primary for 2 weeks, then bottling and leaving for 3. I'm actually gonna test it tonight, then tomorrow and again friday for SG. If it doesn't change in 3 days i should be good to bottle right?[/quote']

This is what I did too the first time. The beer didn't come out well just because it was a bad beer. I got it for free with the kit. I still have some bottles which I always offer to people that I don't like :D

I do the secondary also because it is more fun. And for sure removing the yeast cake from the beer is not bad and the beer is gonna taste less "yeasty" (is this even a word??)

Yes, testing 3 days it is the rule I've read too. I don't do it anymore because I'm brewing the same beer in the same place, so I kinda know the fermentation curve. But when you do some experiments it is necessary.

Testing for gravity it is such a waste of precious liquid lol

I didn't try a yeast starter yet (with the spent yeast). Let me know if you are gonna try. I would like to learn that. Seems that the worth will ferment like crazy and you save some other $ in yeast

I am gonna pickup another carboy, or a better bottles carboy, so i can do a secondary on the next batch. You just leave the yeast and other gunk in the bottom of the primary and don't transfer that stuff to secondary right?

I know i had to go out and buy a special testing vile cuz i didn't want to use a large cup or something (laugh) Now i'll just be wasting about 2 cups instead of a pint.

I haven't gotten into cultivating my own yeast starters yet. Once i get the basics down and i get a good batch i'll be looking into that.

Do you use dextrose for priming? Have you used cane sugar or other sugars before to prime?

I am gonna pickup another carboy, or a better bottles carboy, so i can do a secondary on the next batch. You just leave the yeast and other gunk in the bottom of the primary and don't transfer that stuff to secondary right?

I know i had to go out and buy a special testing vile cuz i didn't want to use a large cup or something (laugh) Now i'll just be wasting about 2 cups instead of a pint.

I haven't gotten into cultivating my own yeast starters yet. Once i get the basics down and i get a good batch i'll be looking into that.

Do you use dextrose for priming? Have you used cane sugar or other sugars before to prime?

Yes, you leave the yeast an settlement in the bottom.

I use cane sugar only for priming. After about 10 days the bottles are carbonated enough if you are without beer

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in trading frags of something for clean label free 12 oz. beer bottles? There is about 24 6 packs of bottles. Mostly Widmere and Deschutes Brewery bottles. We got the Widmere ones because of the "W" on them LOL. (Our last name is White) The deschutes have the little hops them. Phil has decided to keg his beer now, so he has these bottles in the garage. I would be interested in star polyps, yumas and ricordias. Let me know.

Tammy

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in trading frags of something for clean label free 12 oz. beer bottles? There is about 24 6 packs of bottles. Mostly Widmere and Deschutes Brewery bottles. We got the Widmere ones because of the "W" on them LOL. (Our last name is White) The deschutes have the little hops them. Phil has decided to keg his beer now, so he has these bottles in the garage. I would be interested in star polyps, yumas and ricordias. Let me know.

Tammy

I wish I knew it before. I've spent all January drinking like never before just to collect the bottles (nutty)

Such an hard job.....

Tammy

I'm interested if we can figure out a way to make the swap. I've got a nice rock covered in one of the nicest GSPs around IMO. Bright bright green, long tenticles and its always open.

Here are some pics of my Apfelwein brewing

In goes half the 1st gallon

4a5cf50d.jpg

c31f5090.jpg

Add 1 pound dextrose to remaining 1/2 gal and shake shake shake

4e903a66.jpg

ee26b6bd.jpg

In with the rest

9a629f1b.jpg

Measuring out half the dextrose. Really didn't need to do this (laugh)

60421f28.jpg

7a9b1520.jpg

Ready to ferment!!

60e8a7e4.jpg

Here it is 4 days later. Look at the difference in color!

fa4f62e3.jpg