Rookie

Ku'ulei

(scary)

Hello,

I am new to this website and to the forum.

I have wanted a reef tank for the last 6 years and built my house with that thought in mind. I am ready now to take the plunge, only because I finally and personally know a person who already does this as a hobby. Enthusiasm is contagious, and the perfect set up came along that seemed to be built just for me.

I will be purchasing a 75 gallon full tank set up this week and moving it into my home this weekend under the direction of my pal.

However, because I need a crash course for this project, does anyone know any of the best saltwater books around that I can read?

Thank You.

Welcome, be sure to post up some pics when you get it set up.

Here is a website where you can get a huge amount of information that is usually pretty accurate. What isn't will not matter much right away.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/index.htm

Another great source is right here where many of us have posted many links to websites, tips, etc. that we have found useful.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12128

Welcome to the forum and the addiction.

Besides books, I spent 100s of hours reading on the forums before getting wet. This one is good for local. Nano-reef.com has a lot of good ideas about how to get things working in small tanks (75g does not count, but some of the ideas will work for you too). Reefcentral.com also has some good ideas, but unless you are a paid member all the functions do not work (most important is the search function).

Good luck and take a lot of pictures as you are setting up.

dsoz

Agreed on this one. The Sprung books can be a little outdated but still good.

The Borneman book is good but lacks some detail.

The Fenner book is a good basis, but the equipment he pictures is Walmart quality.

RC and Nano Reef can be OK sources but you have to watch out that the expert isn't a 17 year old passive-agressive nerd that can't get a girlfriend or a senile ole boy that throws copper pennies in his tank for treatment.

Books by Eric Borneman and Julian Sprung are always a good read. Welcome to the area and good luck with the new setup!

Hello,

I now have an aquarium in my living room, and everything survived the move! It's ALIVE!! Big thanks to John and Bobby, I could not and would not have done this without you. I posted pics on my facebook page (Stefanie Chew). I will post close-ups of inside the tank as more of the corals and pulps emerge from their scared states. The fish are doing great, testings were perfect; PH was dropping slowly so fixed that, temperature went to 82 at one point-fixed that real quick and did my first RO top off... and I survived my first day, (not without calling with two questions though). :)~

The livestock: Flame Fish, Spotted Cardinal Fish, Banggai Cardinal, Occilaras Clown, and two fish that I don't know what they are yet. One is black and likes to hide in one of two favorite fish holes. The other is not a pretty fish, is is long, whitish with light brown markings, has frog-like swimming tendencies, likes to sit on things, a big mouth, kind of pushy and sometimes sucks algae off of the glass. There is one red star fish, 3 snails, 2 hermits, 1 emerald crab and a cleaner shrimp.

Looking forward to adding clean up crew members, (snails and hermits) and someday a blue hippo tang. Went to the store, bought everything on my list- next stop..an RO machine for the house and tank. We had ZERO interest in the TV this weekend. :)

Weird stuff...

1. Saw the clown fish rubbing his face on a rock.. ick???

2. What food should I feed the corals?

3. I have no lid on the tank and the starfish keeps climbing the glass all the way to the top. Should I be worried it will crawl out or concerned about the fish jumping out?

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1046582067&aid=2026462&s=0&hash=b6fc74beffcea10d8b8a954f864579ae#!/photo.php?pid=30788781&id=1046582067

Your already better off then most as you have a friend that can help you and your a member here this is a great group of folks with lots of info and as I'm sure you been told if you take your time and are patient and stick to the minimums required for a successful reef system (lighting,flow,pure water source,) most everything else will fall into place.Take your time and enjoy this stage and WELCOME!!!

The two other fish are: a Bi color blenny and a Lawnmower Blenny. He is a good size lawnmower and has a great personality. The Bi color didn't want to come out of his rock during the move and was transported with the rock and corals,glad to hear he is doing well. Weird things: 1 All fish carry ick parisites and during a tank breakdown and move to a different city I am sure he is having a flair up. The clown may show increased signs of ick in the next week (little white spots on fins and body) keep an eye on him/her and do some research on saltewater ick treatments. I have a 10g quarantine tank you can use if you feel that is the treatment direction you would take. 2: I use Rod's food and PE misis 3: No worries on the starfish. They will climb to the surface and lay themselves across the water to skim for food. As far as covering the tank, that is a personal choice. Some fish jump and with your set up I think mirrored egg crate panel would look and work the best. Look at your sump and see the shelf on the right that is holdiing up that lve rock rubble....that is egg crate. Its little plastic squares that come in 2foot by 4foot sections and you can get them from multicraft plastics off of 6th by grays nursery. Take a pair of wire cutters and snip it to fit around your overflow and to "size" it to the top of your tank. The mirrored stuff reflects a lot of light, but you may have to wash it down every so often to rinse the salt from it as it will sit just above the waters surface.

Enjoy the tank, you made a good decision and I am glad Gary seems to show interest too! You guys should come to the meeting on the 16th. Tons of answers to questions you might have and oxx's 1000 gallon system is AMAZING! Gary will want to go bigger when he sees that tank! Lol

I would love to come to the meeting and see a 1000 gallon system!!! I can't even imagine. Gary is becoming more and more into it everyday. He has taken tons of pictures, redid the wiring, reprogramed the lights, cleaned the glass, helped me do testing and fed the corals. :) We are on the hunt for an RO system for sure.