WTB: In desperate need of MH lighting.

NoobtoSalt

So I have been holding out for a specific deal to go through and have been offered a 6 bulb T5 setup that I might end up getting but I wanted to see if anyone has a 48" MH setup that has feet to mount on the tank for sale. I have high ceilings and my wife would not be ok with the lights hanging from the ceiling so it does have to be mountable. Priced anywhere from $350 or less. There is a setup on craigslist that I have emailed on but have gotten no reply. I want to do something no later than Friday. I have already lost some of my sps corals and I'm pretty sure its because I'm running CF.

So I just showed my wife the hanging option and she's not crazy about it suprise, suprise...lol

So now she gets to see how much a unit will cost with feet on it.... this is going to be good. Any suggestions to keep it below $500 other than the odyssea lights?

She may end up deciding it's ok to have them hang after she sees the prices.

Someone was showing me a dual DE MH w/4-65 watt actinics on craigslist earlier today-I think it was the same fixture I have. The seller did not know the wattage of the MH, its pretty simple to tell between 150 and 250 though, they have totally different ends

Anyway they wanted 175.00

I now a seller where you could get brand new bulbs for another 150.00 at he most-I think.

Just an FYI

PM if you are wanting info on the bulbs-I'm not subscribed to this thread

Good luck with the wife-Here we have seperate bank accounts-I find that a bonus

Are you handy with tools? I built my own stand and canopy for around 100.00 and could have gone cheaper-nothing to it if you have the right tools

Still looking for a decent light setup. I talked to Patrick today but I got the no go from the wife for spending $800 on lights. I saw another setup on ebay that supposedly is being run by workhorse balasts with 250w MH? from what I understand from the guys at SWF they don't make a balast that will run MH properly. They were not positive but does anyone have any info about this?

nwcoralfarm has a duel 175watt setup that is 36inches that he offered me but I dont think it will work for me, but it may work for you, it dosnt have feet but with the hanger system Rick can make for ya, you could center it on your 4foot tank and it may look sharp.

The more and more I look I think I'm going to lean towards getting the odyssea light system. It sounds like it should work for me for a year or so and I'm sure I could sell it for a decent price at that time when I can afford a nicer setup. I've already lost quite a few pieces of coral in the tank due to poor lighting and not looking forward to having the same issue for a long period of time. It sounds like enough people on the forum have these light systems and even though it's a cheaper setup it sounds like they work fine.

All these decisions......

If it were me I'd go with the "best" fixture and quality MH. I run 175/400 MH with VHO 3- Actinic and 1 Aquasun (white) and have great lighting. The T-5's will give you the same, if one fixture will control the lights individually go with that. I do blue in the am..white/MH... then white/blue late at night

Well' date=' I do believe the T5's are cheaper, the bulbs that is, so....... LOL it's really up to you, all they're there for is to make the corals color pop when the halides are off LOL.[/quote']

Ah, negative on that Mick, have you bought T5's before?

While I agree that your lighting may not be the "best" that you can get in the hobby, I think a 4 x 65w PC system with clean reflectors and less than 9 month old bulbs can keep just about any coral alive.

You could even have CRAZY colored SPS under that fixture, as long as they were in the top 6" of the water colum, directly under the fixture. (laugh)

Stop by the store on a Sunday sometime. Bring me a water sample.

I'm guessing the bulbs are older than 9 months but I lost some hard corals between my tang picking at it and the lighting. I'm sure it didn't start picking at it until it saw that the coral was dying though. I think I'm going to try to sell off a few things first before I jump in and get a cheaper setup. I'd like the Sunlight Supply one that Patrick has at his shop and I think I'm leaning more towards just saving some cash and getting that one within the month.