From Frank's wife Sheri....

Frank

wow... read to the last page and still no ring... Frank, Sheri hope it turns up somewhere... you guys are great and have been to both of your house in Portland and Beaverton. Wanted to come last weekend, but Bridge to Brew run was going. Maybe I'll keep to invited only meeting here. Unfortunately, limiting the meetings to members only will not stop this.. many of you are old members like me (except I'm not a paying member) and have heard of this before. It's just not often we heard of these issues. I recommend those of you who know each other, keep an eye out on others that are new. :)

Jim

I've been holding off saying anything because of course I feel the same way as every person here. I don't know frank but just reading his follow up comment to all of your outreach was amazing. I'm new to the forum (hence the name) and just realize that this world needs more people like frank. I didn't go to the meeting but I can't believe the outreach everyone has had on this. It makes me feel good that I found an impressive group to follow and soon to become a member of.

I hope you find it soon.

+1 on signup sheet (should be done just to enter in the club record)

+1 on members only ($25 ain't that big a price)

+1 on being cautious and closing doors (it's not rude)

+5 on introducing yourself to a new face (no judgement here because I think it's a lost art these days but I had to initiate this with the five people I met on Sunday and it was my first meeting - I had already met Alex, Eric and Dexter)

+100 for the next person who opens their house for a meeting (your trust karma will be off the scale)

I actually think we should start all meetings with introductions...a simple "CA2OR" would suffice...but it would be a bit better if it ran like a NA meeting or something " Hi my name is Eric I am CA2OR" and on to the next one....would be helpfull....IMO

I just don't know what to say. This is a terrible thing. First, for Frank to have something valuable, both financially and sentimentally, stolen right from his own home - that's just a gut wrenching feeling.

But almost as bad is the ripples this will have in this small group. I haven't met many people (Frank is one), but have had a handful of people come to my house and have never thought anything of it. Now I will have to wonder if the person I'm meeting could be a thief?

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, now), I was not at the meeting. Actually, I've never made a meeting, but that's another issue. Another sad level of this incident is that every person that was there now feels the need to prove is wasn't them - half worried that they are under suspicion.

So that’s what was taken – two rings from Frank, and trust from all of us. In a small group like this, we tend to assume a level of bonding and trust that, sadly, is easily taken advantage of by those without that trust.

This is terrible, Frank. I'm very sorry that happened to you.

Thats horrible. The only time my wife and I were over that way was when we were getting frags from grassi. I put our box on the mantle while we waited for our frag. Dont remember seeing them at the time. Maybe I set our box on them and they got knocked off, but I'm sure you would have looked around there. I hope they turn up.

Frank and Sheri,

Very sorry for your loss. We are all in agreement that this sucks. I have walked in your shoes. I had rings and ear rings that I bought for my wife disappear. They were stolen by a trusted friend who came into our home while we were away. I got them back. I would like to tell you how. Maybe you can do the same. I called the local police and contacted their "Pawn program". All pawn shops must report what they take in. I gave the lady that oversees the local pawn program a description of the jewelery, when it was taken, and a list of names that had opportunity to take the items. She had a hit in less five minutes. She also told me of other stolen items that I had not yet discovered missing. This has worked for me on two occasions. Both times I was hurt and shocked by who the thief was. Good luck. I Know how you feel.

Reeftripper

Im not sure what makes me more disgusted.

The fact that the POS that did this is sitting here probably reading all of this or the fact of the knowledge there is a lowlife theif among the members. Which actually is quite sad since I have not had the privilege of meeting to many folks and that just makes me want to invite someone into my home less.

I actually think we should start all meetings with introductions...a simple "CA2OR" would suffice...but it would be a bit better if it ran like a NA meeting or something " Hi my name is Eric I am CA2OR" and on to the next one....would be helpfull....IMO

We used to do this at the first bunch of meetings I went to and then it just stopped. I know the host/organizer doesn't want to interrupt people when they are visiting but it helps everyone get to know each other.

I agree completely! Like Calvin said this use to happen. I guess the club has gotten 'too relaxed' about doing this. It needs to be started up again. Even if that meeans interruption everyones conversations!

Back on topic----- Was hoping to come home and see that the rings had been returned/found!!! (still hoping for this to happen)

Well you could always watch for the SOB thats been poor all of a sudden buying corals.

I'm doing the same with the moron that stole my weber grill from my backyard this morning: I'm sure I will find it on craigslist. At that point I will wear my Ninja turtle costume and I will bring it back

I know at one meeting we had name tags attached to our shirts. How hard is it to put you name on paper and attach it to yourselfDOH!

Hope this all works out in the end Frank am still pissed just thinking about it(flame)

Back on topic----- Was hoping to come home and see that the rings had been returned/found!!! (still hoping for this to happen)

I was also hoping someone would grow a conscience but the fact is the person is probably here, posting in this very topic about total nonsense.

Man I wasnt even there and im irked about all this.

As much as it sucks to have something removed from your home when you invite in guests with open arms I was just reminded of something....

Just got through talking to a teenage girl whose mother died in October after she accidentally burned herself (sad)

Also thinking about twogirls and his family.(sad)

They are still just rings and even those with sentimental value are still replaceable.

Props to Frank for focusing on the positive and to remember what really matters is the people around us.

I will wear my Ninja turtle costume and I will bring it back

That takes guts. Even if I owned one I'd never admit it in public(laugh)

A couple years ago someone tried to break into our house. They stole some random stuff from outside & they stole a bag of Jack Daniels BBQ smoking pellets.I still get a small satisfaction hoping they tried sucking on those pellets.

That's a shame when you cant even leave a grill out without it being stolen!

It was in the shed, not even outside! And I have a big dog. They tried 3 times and finally got something.

They got also got my smoking pellets, the cleaning brush and so on.

Fun is that I reported the fact to the police and they say "that's not even a crime... look around it is probably in one of your neighbor backyard".

So, I'm supposed to steal it back? I wonder if they have some baby back ribs in the fridge too...

That takes guts. Even if I owned one I'd never admit it in public(laugh)

A couple years ago someone tried to break into our house. They stole some random stuff from outside & they stole a bag of Jack Daniels BBQ smoking pellets.I still get a small satisfaction hoping they tried sucking on those pellets.

That's a shame when you cant even leave a grill out without it being stolen!

Frank, I dont even know what to say, I am absolutely disgusted buy what has happened to you.

Sadly I was not able to attend the meeting but have had the pleasure of meeting you a few times in some of the LFS. All I can say is that I can completely sympathize with you as I too have hosted a party with "friends" and had my rent money, and my wifes $4,500 wedding ring stolen buy the same kind of POS. I have learned they will allways be out there, We just sadly have to more aware of what is happening around us.

Whom ever you are....Please step up and return their possesions and then grow up.

I also think the meetings being members only is a great idea.

This doesn't do any good if the thief has paid their dues to the club.

(just saying)

You have a point. Everytime they have to put their name down or sign up it leaves a trail and at some point they get tripped up. I think these people want to take the path of least resistance so every little obstacle you put up might be the one that makes them look elsewhere. My dog may never attack someone who comes through the window but her bark will make them want to look for an easier target.

There has to be some accountability for people coming in and out of someones house. Members, non members, dont think it matters. Everyone signs in at the door. Assign someone to door duty. Sadly this is what our society has become.

Frank I honestly hope you filed a police report and check with pawn shops in oregon and washington. Karma may not get them, but a trip to county might do them good. I do believe that since it was in your house it is not theft but burg which is a felony.