You guys wanna hear something funny....

CA2OR

we had some new neighbors move in a week ago and we had the...."pleasure" of meeting them 2 days ago....well the guy comes up today as I am snapping pic's of my new additions. He steps into the door and looks into my tank.....

"wow...nice tank" he says

"thanks" I replied

then came the first shocker

"it looks so real" he says...."where did you get all this stuff...do you order it online because I never see this stuff at Petco."

I thought I didn't understand the comment slash question so I asked gently...."what do you mean....looks real....like a real coral reef" I probed...

"No" he says quickly, pointing at my Duncan's "like how these are waiving in the water...and this stuff here" he says pointing at all the culvaria I have growing up my back wall..."it looks like it's really alive" he continued with "are they all rubber?"

I am pretty sure I felt brain cells popping in my head....I felt like smacking him, or myself to see if I was dreaming.

I said "it all is real and alive, look check it out " as I calmly grabbed my 12inch stainless steel tweezers and lightly poked one of my zoa polyps to get it to close....his eyes got really wide and he proclaimed"Whoa....how did you do that?"....well before he could say anything else I started poking random zoa's in my tank like I am playing poke-a-mole making them close while I explained that it all WAS really alive...

moving on to the next shocker because that previous conversation went on for about half an hour....at one point he asks me if I had any starfish..."yes" I answered "there are 3 in here" then I swung open the door to my stand and said "and one more down there"

he says very matter of factly...."wow I didn't even realize your tank went down that far...why do you cover the rest with wood...is it because of static electricity?"

OMG....I don't know how I survived that conversation with any dignity, but I did....

There is a lesson here for all....if you have someone who you feel probably has 2 brain cells...one's lost and the other one is trying to find it.....just go along with "they are rubber" and save yourself the frusteration.

Ah Ca2OR you missed a golden opportunity to really mess with him.

For example, my tank goes all the way under the house the wood is to give it more support. Why don't you go under my crawl space to check it out?;)

Or yeah those Duncans are made of rubber. You can DIY at home just get a pair of rubber gloves, scissors and green spray paint.:D

You'd be amazed how many people don't quite get it. I've had to explain multiple times that my corals aren't plants.

If you think about it... we have a vey odd hobby.

My friends still don't understand that I paid ~$4-$5/lbs to have rock flown in from Fiji.

ca2or im tellin you, you had me almost falling out of my chair on telling this story!!!! i cant believe that some ppl r just that dumb, i really feel sry for these ppl. i think they have lived a really sheltered life and dont get out that much. i think i am gonna get me some rubber duncans for my tank so i can watch them wave back and forth( do you know how much money i could save on doing this)lmao. thanks for the good laugh i needed that, way to funny!

LOL!! Ya, we had a sleepover for my 10 yearold and one of the dad's saw my tank and started talking about it for about 10 min and during the conversation he said that he has a 55 gallon FW tank and that he had bought 3 corals for it but they died really fast. I just smiled and must have had the [language filter] look on my face because that pritty much ended the conversation and he left.